Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Hamza Choudhury - Barcelona / Real Madrid?

How would the likes of Barcelona even find out about a 16 year old academy player for Leicester City?

The reason why they are Barcelona is because they know about a 16 year old academy player at Leicester City. :thumbup:

Very few professional adult players from the Prem have gone abroad and made a success of them self the only one's i can think of off the top of my head is Steve Mcmanaman and recently Gareth Bale, For a young lad its going to be 10x harder with the whole change in culture being away from home etc. Really cant see him leaving the UK

I wish we would stop bigging up our young players before we have heard of them, they always turn out shit when we do.

I had a good long chat with Inigo Idiakez a few months ago and he said Ndukwu was the best of the up and coming lot but still that needs to develop a lot of his game, also alluded to just how hard it to get young players to concentrate on developing their football skills to the best of their ability instead of being distracted by a minor celebrity status and posting on Instragram and Twitter etc 24/7.

If you are reading lad get that head down, Liam Moore showed what could be done with a total commitment to developing one's talents.

I wish we would stop bigging up our young players before we have heard of them, they always turn out shit when we do.

I had a good long chat with Inigo Idiakez a few months ago and he said Ndukwu was the best of the up and coming lot but still that needs to develop a lot of his game, also alluded to just how hard it to get young players to concentrate on developing their football skills to the best of their ability instead of being distracted by a minor celebrity status and posting on Instragram and Twitter etc 24/7.

If you are reading lad get that head down, Liam Moore showed what could be done with a total commitment to developing one's talents.

Yea your right i watched that United documentary The Class of 92 and it seemed like all the players that succeeded where not always the ones with the most natural talent but the ones who train there guts out, its a awkward age 16 you just start to get involved with birds and going for a drink with your mates the next thing you know football isn't your priority and you think that your better than you are

You constantly have to be triyng to improve yourself because when your messing about with your mates getting pissed etc there are players out there that are working hard trying to get better

Very few professional adult players from the Prem have gone abroad and made a success of them self the only one's i can think of off the top of my head is Steve Mcmanaman and recently Gareth Bale, For a young lad its going to be 10x harder with the whole change in culture being away from home etc. Really cant see him leaving the UK

Paul Ince, David Platt, our very own Gary Lineker, David Beckham, Gazza did alright but injuries always ruined it for him.

Very few over the last 30 odd years, and I feel this is more what's holding the England team back than foreigners playing in the premier league.

Hopefully this young lad will stay and make his future hear alongside the likes of Liam Moore we could have a very good home grown squad in the next 5 years.

I think you can pretty much sum everything up by looking at two players who have came through our academy in recent times: Liam Moore and George Taft.

The former wasn't too well known by Leicester fans before his debut, but has since came on in leaps and bounds and is now looking like one hell of a player, having captained England U-21s for brief spells and making his case for a full cap.

The latter was already being capped for England youth regularly, but has since seen his stock fall dramatically as he was too big for his own boots, and ended up released.

With a bit of luck, it'll serve as an example to the youngsters in the academy, and we might see a few more break through in the coming years.

Be careful of the choices you make when the stars are shining in your face.

Anyone remember the hot-shots Tom Taiwo and Michael Woods? Leeds Utd youngsters who were poached by Chelsea when they were a similar age to Hamza. They now play for Falkirk and Hartlepool, in no small doubt because they got no chance to progress themselves as a player at Chelsea.

Remember John Bostock, top talent poached by Spurs from Palace? Now plays for Leuven in the second tier of Belgian football. 

Now Hamza may turn out to be a worldy who is 10x better than these three combined, and of course he might move to Real Madrid and become the next starlet playing there for two decades. I hope his love for the club and the way we've treated him get us his signature if any of the rumours are true, we'll both reap the rewards and Hamza will come out the other end with a far more successful career.

I think in many cases it's very easy (and, in my opinion - ill informed) to blame the "bigger clubs" that poach these players for their lack of progression as footballers. Michael Woods is a bit of a special case given he's made of glass; so we'll look at the cases of Taiwo and Bostock. There can be absolutely no doubt that the standard of coaching young players get at both Chelsea and Spurs would be better than Leeds and Palace respectively, and in any case both were farmed out without ever making any discernible impression at any club. They weren't going stale in reserves, they were being given experience.

In many cases it isn't the club's fault, it's simply the fact that the players in question just aren't actually that good. Bostock was put on a pedestal having barely kicked a ball in a league game and the issue with compensation thrust him into the limelight even more.

I'm not for one minute saying it's never the fault of the club, but some people in this thread seem to seriously be suggesting that the prospect of leaving to learn at La Masia, Manchester United, or in Real Madrid's youth set up would be a poor move for this boy and I can't get my head around that.

It would be Barcelona B which is league 1 standard, it's not as if he'd be strutting out next Saturday with Messi!

They still train at La Masia and receive some of the best coaching in world football, don't they?

The prospect of making an impression with Barcelona's B team would still appeal to me enormously if I was a young footballer, when you have a skim of some of the names that have progressed from there to the first team it'd be difficult not to be tempted.

Are there any English players that have made it through the youth ranks? Dont get me wrong some amazing talent has come through Barca thats why the spanish teams do so well because they have the pick of the talent from all the Spanish speaking South American countrys teams

They still train at La Masia and receive some of the best coaching in world football, don't they?

The prospect of making an impression with Barcelona's B team would still appeal to me enormously if I was a young footballer, when you have a skim of some of the names that have progressed from there to the first team it'd be difficult not to be tempted.

But would you ever make an impression there? It seems to me that even if you're the dog's danglies at Barca/Madrid (and to a lesser extent Chelsea/Utd/Man City) you're never going to break through, because they are under constant pressure to play Top Trumps with big name players. The number of sensational players not starting games at Madrid is ridiculous, and Barca are not much better. Wouldn't touch the Big 4 here either, career wrecker for so many promising youngsters...

I stand to be corrected because my Spanish knowledge is poor, but who went into their first team in the last 4/5 years? Fabregas/Pique went the long way round, and even then weren't first choice.

But would you ever make an impression there? It seems to me that even if you're the dog's danglies at Barca/Madrid (and to a lesser extent Chelsea/Utd/Man City) you're never going to break through, because they are under constant pressure to play Top Trumps with big name players. The number of sensational players not starting games at Madrid is ridiculous, and Barca are not much better. Wouldn't touch the Big 4 here either, career wrecker for so many promising youngsters...

I stand to be corrected because my Spanish knowledge is poor, but who went into their first team in the last 4/5 years? Fabregas/Pique went the long way round, and even then weren't first choice.

I don't disagree that you have to be special to make the step up, but even if player X (in this case Choudhury) wasn't to make the grade at Barcelona (for example) - he'd still have benefitted from the coaching available at said "bigger" club. Not being good enough for Barcelona doesn't necessarily mean your career is on the scrapheap before you're twenty. My main point was countering Footballwipe's comment that big clubs ruin emerging talent which I don't feel is always necessarily the case, particularly with the likes of Bostock; there are far too many things to factor in for blame to be laid solely at the door of the club in the majority of cases, I feel.

To add to Matt's list, Thiago and Tello have also recently come through Barcelona B to go on and play on big stages.

Archived