Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Craig

Cmon Foxestalk! SOS.

Right.

I've come to the decision that i'm a useless human being at the moment.

I do absolutely nothing with my life now i've finished Uni, i'm still in the same dead end job stacking shelves... and it's not paying the rent or bills.

Any ideas? I should have a degree in Criminology and Sociology... But i can't find anything that i want to do that relates to it.

I'm fed up of updating my Facebook status every 5 minutes, ranting about Tescos and the patheticness of my washing machine.#

And there's the whole relationships front, i'm absolutely useless with girls. Any tips?

My life depends on you foxestalk!

Craig (Not wanting to turn into 'Adams').

Right.

I do absolutely nothing with my life now i've finished Uni, i'm still in the same dead end job stacking shelves... and it's not paying the rent or bills.

Any ideas? I should have a degree in Criminology and Sociology... But i can't find anything that i want to do that relates to it.

I'm fed up of updating my Facebook status every 5 minutes, ranting about Tescos and the patheticness of my washing machine.#

And there's the whole relationships front, i'm absolutely useless with girls. Any tips?

Ah ha, twas you! :P

Nope, no advice whatsoever. Too tired. If I become inspired I'll let you know. :thumbup:

Didn't you have a fit missus, in the my girlfriend thread. How did you mess that up!

Anyway, my only advice is too always be positive.

I haven't a clue what to say, and am pretty shit at giving advice. But good luck, if your having doubts with something. CHANGE.

Didn't you have a fit missus, in the my girlfriend thread. How did you mess that up!

Nice way to make him feel better about life! :whistle:

Stick with it though mate - it took me 6 months after uni to find a job that I was happy with. You just have to keep searching round and ask mates that you were on the course with to see if they have any ideas etc?

If you want some direction and have no plans and no ties then:

VSO - go volunteer and help people while gaining huge brownie points for future employers, do some great stuff and meet someone you fall in love with.

TEFL - go teach English to a load of people who want to come here and take all our jobs, do some great stuff and meet someone you fall in love with.

Backpack - go mix with people who take drugs and pretend that getting wasted on a beach really helps you understand the plight of the Third World, do some great stuff and meet someone you fall in love with.

The French Foreign Legion - go meet poor people, people who want to come here and take all our jobs, people who do drugs and someone you fall in love with...then kill them all.

Right.

lol I've noticed.

I'd say you occupy about 20% of updates for all my near 300 friends!

I'll be posting one of these soon, ain't got a frigging clue, when I finish A levels and get back off the hols in August.

Oops.

I didn't mean that you should be re-assessing your entire life, just that they both made me laugh...

Anyway, while I'm here...

I had a date a couple of weeks ago, really fit girl but we had nothing in common so I ended up manoeuvring us into a pub so that I could watch Rochdale v Darlington in the first leg of the League 2 play-off semis. It was a great game and Darlington's first goal was a cracker.

I think what I'm trying to say is - with every silver lining there's a cloud but soon enough another silver lining will turn up.

On the career thing - I was devastated when I left uni. Wanted to become a journalist but was too lazy and money-orientated. I've slobbed away in shitty jobs for a couple of years and it's all been worth it now something I love doing has come up on a full-time basis at work and I've made sure I was definitely appointed to it.

Things don't have to be perfect all the time else we'd all still be at uni, razzing it up every night and not having to get up at stupid o'clock to drive to the same building every morning.

Any good?

Why'd you do it in the first place, what was the aim at the time and why haven't you gone with whatever it was?

at the risk of getting all new-agey, i read a positive thinking book and it changed my life, seriously....

what it taught me about jobs, is that you have to respect the job that you currently do, feel blessed that you actually have something - the idea is that the universe provides you with everything you get in life, and if you hate your job (the theory is) that no one else would want it and you're stuck with it....

it sounds weird, but after working for a&l in narborough for 6 years, i ended up getting a degree, moving to norway, getting a cushy job and a girlfriend who is very beautiful and considerably younger than me - back of the net!

positive thinking is where it's at - but harder than it sounds, it's all about commitment and technique.

Lykke til :thumbup:

Thanks for the advice, it really is helping :thumbup:

Why'd you do it in the first place, what was the aim at the time and why haven't you gone with whatever it was?

Well basically... I wanted to do Criminology, but i had to take Sociology with it. And the Sociology part has really put me off most things remotely to do with Criminology. And the few i'm interested in (i.e. Special Investigations within banking and suchlike) don't have any graduate scheme places until next summer, so i need something now, or i'll have to move home, and that's something i don't want to do.

I'm with Valarenga and Fez on this.

Be positive about what you want to do. If Special Investigations are where it's at, try and make it happen. Don't wait for jobs to appear, HR departments are not averse to people using their initiative and contacting them.

Like Fezzler, a lot of people start off with shitty jobs and move onwards and upwards. Sometimes, doing the shitty stuff gives you the impetus to drag yourself out of the rut you're in.

One thing's for sure though, if you wait for the right job to appear, it can be an awful long wait.

On the career thing - I was devastated when I left uni. Wanted to become a journalist but was too lazy and money-orientated. I've slobbed away in shitty jobs for a couple of years and it's all been worth it now something I love doing has come up on a full-time basis at work and I've made sure I was definitely appointed to it.

That was me about 7-8 years ago. I got stuck in a rut big style.

Original career plans abandoned.

Left uni.

Went back to uni.

Left uni again.

Home study while doing shitty jobs.

Stroke of luck.

Got good job.

More studying.

Upwards curve.....

I can only add to what Fez, Daggers, HF etc have said. The important thing is to always try to have something on the go at any one time. Night classes, distance learning, volunteering etc. If you play sport, get involved in admin, fixtures etc for any teams you play for. It's surprising how often something crap leads to something a bit better, or a new contact, a random conversation in the pub after a game etc.

Thanks for the advice, it really is helping :thumbup:

Well basically... I wanted to do Criminology, but i had to take Sociology with it. And the Sociology part has really put me off most things remotely to do with Criminology. And the few i'm interested in (i.e. Special Investigations within banking and suchlike) don't have any graduate scheme places until next summer, so i need something now, or i'll have to move home, and that's something i don't want to do.

well, that's not so bad!

have you actually approached any banks directly, we had our own team, and most banks run graduate courses. If you know any companies that do this kind of thing, offer to work a few hours a week for nothing - the experience and the contacts are like golddust

even if you have to wait til next summer - if you're living at home and working you will never be in a better place to save some big money: if i were you, i'd stick at your shelf stacking, enrol on something you want to do next summer, save your pennies and then a couple of months before your course, pack your job in and fu(k off and blow your savings in south america or across europe - or north america if you aren't so adventurous...

you'll be surprised how much crap you can tolerate when you have something to look forward to!

Do your best and follow your dreams Craigy Boy.

Aspire to be the best you can,if it fails at least you tried innit?

However just remember those less fortunate than you.

We always look up to those with money,fame and fortune but there are people in the World who have no future and have to live on handouts....Thats how it is in Baeumont Leys!!!! :D

*No offence to those in Beaumont Leys!!! :unsure:

That was me about 7-8 years ago. I got stuck in a rut big style.

Original career plans abandoned.

Left uni.

Went back to uni.

Left uni again.

Home study while doing shitty jobs.

Stroke of luck.

Got good job.

More studying.

Upwards curve.....

I can only add to what Fez, Daggers, HF etc have said. The important thing is to always try to have something on the go at any one time. Night classes, distance learning, volunteering etc. If you play sport, get involved in admin, fixtures etc for any teams you play for. It's surprising how often something crap leads to something a bit better, or a new contact, a random conversation in the pub after a game etc.

Yes - it happens occasionally. :D

Truth is, in our modern society, we can't actually appreciate the basic things we all already possess that others don't have. A home, drink, food and a job.

I wouldn't consider my current occupation the ideal solution to my needs. For 6 months (and this seems to be a bit of a magic number) upon graduation from film school, I tried my best finding something in that area. NO chance. I was getting desperate and close to losing hope. Now, by chance, I've ended up in marketing. And I'm doing it for close to a year and a half already. Again, not that much of my cup of tea, but I'm looking at the good things it provides and try to ignore the drag & the routine.

In the end, no matter where you work, no matter what you do, it's ultimately up to you how you create your (daily) life.

Maintain a positive attitude, be kind, be helpful, try to crack the odd joke and if you really think you're stuck with your current job, move on.

That's all I can say.

Right.

Craig, I used to be in a similar position to you. On the girls front, I probably still am!!

Firstly, don't despair, there's more then ample time etc to change your fortunes.

I was in a career I hated and one day just packed it up and went on a soul searching mission to the punjab for 6 months, now I know not everyone can do that but you need to focus and decide on which career is most suited to you, especially on the financial front, alot of careers sound great but pay is rather dire.

If criminology\sociology is something your interested in then speak to a careers advisor at the uni you fancy, there are many joint degree's available!!

On the ladies front, i'm not really the one to ask, but confidence is key!!

I hope that helps!!

Right.

Erm get a grip for starters.

Then think of the people that are worse off than you, people that are homeless/have no money or anything.

Go traveliing if you've got any money, if not try and get a job that relates to your degree, send out endless CV's etc

For once I agree with Tommy G. Get a grad loan and get the fook out of the country for a while. Come back focused, get your cv polished and published to everyone in the known world. Failing that I heard there's a vacancy going down at LCFC...

Archived