Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
FantasticMrFuchs

Jamie Vardy included in Englands squad for upcoming friendlies

Great read.

I am so made up for the lad it's unreal! He has done it the hard way and now reaping the benefits.

Finishing is an issue that can be resolved with confidence infront of goal, I think this will help that massively!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daily mail reporting Welbeck will miss both of the upcoming international fixtures, gives Vards an even better chance of playing now :vardy:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3098851/Arsenal-striker-Danny-Welbeck-FA-Cup-final-England-internationals-knee-injury-Arsene-Wenger-confirms.html

Imagine the buzz if he scores on his debut! Be strange to actually have an interest in an England game

Daily mail reporting Welbeck will miss both of the upcoming international fixtures, gives Vards an even better chance of playing now  :vardy:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3098851/Arsenal-striker-Danny-Welbeck-FA-Cup-final-England-internationals-knee-injury-Arsene-Wenger-confirms.html

That is fantastic news. He'll have a chance of a start I reckon.

So at the minute it's just Rooney, vardy and Austin? He's got a fantastic chance of getting in the XI - hope it happens and he scores.

Seeing a Leicester player lined up for the national anthem... Imagine!

So at the minute it's just Rooney, vardy and Austin? He's got a fantastic chance of getting in the XI - hope it happens and he scores.

Seeing a Leicester player lined up for the national anthem... Imagine!

Got a feeling they will start with Rooney and Austin then Vardy will come on at half time have a blinder with his pace v tired legs and get a start in the next game....

Sir Geoff Hurst can see shades of World Cup winner in Leicester City and England striker Jamie Vardy

By Mercury_Sport  |  Posted: May 27, 2015

By James Sharpe

• 10160925-large.jpg

Jamie Vardy celebrates his last-minute winner at West Brom

• Alex Hannam10160924-large.jpg

Sir Geoff Hurst presenting community awards at Leics & Rutland County FA ceremony

• 10160925-thumb.jpg
  • 10160924-thumb.jpg
 Comments (0)

World Cup winner Sir Geoff Hurst says he can see shades of himself in Leicester City and England striker Jamie Vardy.

Vardy was handed his first senior call-up by England boss Roy Hodgson to cap off an impressive season in the Premier League for the City front man, who was playing non-league football with Fleetwood just three years ago.

The 28-year-old was vital to Leicester's stunning turnaround that saw them secure Premier League survival.

Vardy could hardly have received a greater endorsement from Hurst, who scored 24 goals for England and is the only man to score a hat-trick in a World Cup final, in 1966.

"I have seen him play a few times," said Hurst. "One thing that has struck me is his willingness to run, graft, and run behind defenders. You don't see that much these days, a lot is played to feet.

"He can turn defenders around, that's how I was brought up. He is willing to run past defenders into the channels and that is what I honed my career on."

Vardy could make his England debut in a friendly against Republic of Ireland, in Dublin, on June 7 before the Euro 2016 qualifier against Slovenia a week later.

His chances of earning his first cap have been boosted as Arsenal's Danny Welbeck has had to pull out of the squad with a knee injury.

"My advice to him for his debut would be just to prepare as he has done for every other game at Leicester City," said Hurst. "You are there because of what you have done, so keep doing it."

Vardy's call-up, alongside that of QPR striker Charlie Austin is a great testament to grassroots football with both coming up through the ranks of non-league.

"It is a great testament to grassroots football, but it is also a great testament to Jamie Vardy," said McDonalds director of football Hurst.

"Players like that, who come from the lower leagues, probably give more effort and enthusiasm and pride in playing for their club.

"Getting to the top, you have got to have some ability, but you need to have a hunger to want to be successful."

Sir Geoff Hurst was speaking at the McDonald's Community Awards ceremony. To find out more:www.mcdonalds.co.uk/awards

Read more: http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/Sir-Geoff-Hurst-shades-World-Cup-winner-Leicester/story-26585043-detail/story.html#ixzz3bMfVhn5S 

Follow us: @Leicester_Merc on Twitter | leicestermercury on Facebook

Am I the only one to think this call up could be bad for Vardy?

Has a shocker misses chances against Ireland gets a load of crap from fans and affects his confidence for next season...

And he'll be all sad but Uncle Nige will take him under his wing, remind him how good he is and his confidence will be back to normal in no time at all...    :)

He got plenty of crap from fans after (and during) his first season. Nige spoke to him, and he came back much, much stronger.

He got plenty of crap from Man Utd fans after *that* game.

He got plenty of crap for the following 20-odd games (where he was admittedly far from his best).

And yet he ended the season on exemplary form.

If it doesn't go fantastically, he'll bounce back. He's got that sort of character.

Do they still do the national anthems before all internationals? Not seen one for a while.

Would be great if he gets a start to see him in the line-up with the national anthem blaring. When his face came on I would have goosepimps and the ring of hair around my nipples would be standing on end.

He's going to provide something completely different to what we've got already. It's not like England are so settled that we can do without someone like him. Welbeck is Euro 2016's top scorer ffs.

He won't start but I suspect we'll be able to enjoy a 20-minute cameo of eye-bulging running like it's his last act on earth.

He can run, hassle and close players down all day long, he can draw players away from our other strikers but unless he scores a goal or even two he'll  still be seen as a flop by most people. Sadly football is becoming more about individuals and celebrity status than it is about the team ethic in the media and the minds of many "armchair" type supporters. 

Archived