Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
EnderbyFox

Terrorist Attacks

Or maybe the severity of the threat is being overstated for who-knows-what ends.

The article says there was 280 arrests. If only half of those are genuine that's 140 people who want to kill or aid that killing.

We've seen what's happened in Paris, twice, it's not unimaginable that that could happen here.

That doesn't mean that we should all be afraid to leave the house but there obviously people out there that would like to do us harm.

Or maybe the severity of the threat is being overstated for who-knows-what ends.

Quite. I saw a break down of all the arrests and what subsequently happened and about 10% of them ended up in court. Frighten the sheeple.  :rolleyes:

Guest MattP

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35830979

Just highlights how the media try and scare everybody.

The media can only really report on what the police do, it would be irresponsible for them not to report terrorism related arrests, but it's good that the figure is going down.

We shouldn't be complacent over anything though, we are a country that has bred over 1,000 people who have been prepared to go to Syria and fight for the creation of an Islamic State in the Levant, that's something that should concern all decent people who uphold liberal values.

Edited by MattP

The media can only really report on what the police do, it would be irresponsible for them not to report terrorism related arrests, but it's good that the figure is going down.

We shouldn't be complacent over anything though, we are a country that has bred over 1,000 people who have been prepared to go to Syria and fight for the creation of an Islamic State in the Levant, that's something that should concern all decent people who uphold liberal values.

So none of the current Tory Government then.  :ph34r:

I've heard about a quite a few people being arrested in like areas such as Burton-on-Trent and around the West Midlands apparently for trying to plan attacks.

It's sadly only a matter of time before something happens somewhere. It only takes one idiot to do something.

With regards to fears many Britons returning to the UK from Syria, why on earth can't security block entry back and arrest them at UK airports? Common sense.

Oh yeah, I totally agree with you there too.

Tbf they wouldn't simply 'report' it though, it's more likely to be '280 SUSPECTED TERRORISTS IN BRITAIN' with a big fat picture of Jihadi John pointing a knife at the camera.

You're absolutely right on the second point though, it should be investigated why so many are willing to go out there, whether it be online or local recruitment and the factors behind leaving in the first place.

Tbf they wouldn't simply 'report' it though, it's more likely to be '280 SUSPECTED TERRORISTS IN BRITAIN' with a big fat picture of Jihadi John pointing a knife at the camera.

You're absolutely right on the second point though, it should be investigated why so many are willing to go out there, whether it be online or local recruitment and the factors behind leaving in the first place.

That's exactly what I meant.

Quite. I saw a break down of all the arrests and what subsequently happened and about 10% of them ended up in court. Frighten the sheeple.  :rolleyes:

So that's 28 people. How many people were involved in the tube bombings?

Where is this scare campaign? Apart from directly after an actual attack how often does this sort of thing make headline news?

A lot of people mistake cynicism for wisdom, in most cases it's just twatishness.

Guest MattP

I don't really the sort of newspapers that do that but sensationalism sells unfortunately, sad but true.

Guest MattP

Where is this scare campaign? Apart from directly after an actual attack how often does this sort of thing make headline news?

A lot of people mistake cynicism for wisdom, in most cases it's just twatishness.

It's the new way for a lot of people, call others "sheeple" if they disagree with anything you say, believe everything is controlled by the elite, anyone who goes to work is a slave to the corporations, nothing big can happen that isn't a conspiracy theory, it shows how right-on you are.

No matter what warning someone gives you shrug it off just to show you are giving the finger to the establishment, it's all a bit pathetic really.

It's the new way for a lot of people, call others "sheeple" if they disagree with anything you say, believe everything is controlled by the elite, anyone who goes to work is a slave to the corporations, nothing big can happen that isn't a conspiracy theory, it shows how right-on you are.

No matter what warning someone gives you shrug it off just to show you are giving the finger to the establishment, it's all a bit pathetic really.

It's ironic that people are claiming that a report in the media proves that the media are lying to us

Pardon me for putting little stock in authority figures when we both know - and history has proven -  that power and altruism rarely mix.

I mean, it's not 1984 and the shadowy cabal isn't orchestrating everything, but those in power know how fear works and how it can be used to manipulate in certain cases. It's not about orchestrating the events - not really, more taking advantage of the fact that they've occurred in order to maintain the balance of power.

I have zero time for tinfoil-hat wearers (especially the antivaxxer/we-never-landed-on-the-moon crowd), but at the same time, power corrupts and being aware of that is important.

Pardon me for putting little stock in authority figures when we both know - and history has proven -  that power and altruism rarely mix.

I mean, it's not 1984 and the shadowy cabal isn't orchestrating everything, but those in power know how fear works and how it can be used to manipulate in certain cases. It's not about orchestrating the events - not really, more taking advantage of the fact that they've occurred in order to maintain the balance of power.

So where is this scare campaign and where is the proof that some shadowy body is forcing the press to report what actually happened in an effort to manipulate us?

Guest MattP

If there is any sort of manipulation of these events the "elite" are doing a pretty shit job of it, we are seeing Trump rise in America and a series of hard/far-right parties taking some sort of control in government's across Europe, all partly at least related to the increased security people believe we need.

If the idea was to use this to scare people into voting to maintain order they aren't making a very good job of it.

So where is this scare campaign and where is the proof that some shadowy body is forcing the press to report what actually happened in an effort to manipulate us?

There is no shadowy body - as I said, that's strictly tinfoil-hat BS.

What there is is a bunch of people who have a certain amount of power and fear losing it. Having a bogeyman - not of their own creation, again that's totally farfetched - is an ideal tool for them to keep people scared and wondering less about what else they are doing, thus maintaining the status quo.

Like I said, it's opportunism rather than orchestration, but either way its people looking to take advantage of a situation to maintain their own self-interest.

If there is any sort of manipulation of these events the "elite" are doing a pretty shit job of it, we are seeing Trump rise in America and a series of hard/far-right parties taking some sort of control in government's across Europe, all partly at least related to the increased security people believe we need.

If the idea was to use this to scare people into voting to maintain order they aren't making a very good job of it.

As above - no such thing as the 'elite', just a group of folks wanting to hold on to what power they have or seek more of it. They're not a bunch of smartly-suited boyos sitting round a table and shifting world events over the course of a few-hour meeting ala Spectre, but just politicians (and various other people with political clout) trying to choose the course of action that will best serve their own interest and ensure that they get voted in again/maintain their power. They fight amongst each other, and Trump and the other far-right elements making a grab in Europe are part of the same group, just from a different side of it; those who have power already and seeks more.

I don't get what is so hard to understand about the idea that some people actively seek power over others, either directly or indirectly.

Edited by leicsmac

Well obviously there will be people saying vote for me and I'll stop the terrorists, just the same as there are people who say vote for me and I'll save the NHS, put up your benefits , cure the economy. That doesn't mean the media are exaggerating what's actually happening to favour some unnamed party.