Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
EnderbyFox

Terrorist Attacks

German police are evacuating a shopping centre in Munich after receiving reports that shots were fired, and a major police operation is under way in the city.

Munich’s security forces have been on alert after a teenager armed with an axe and a knife attacked passengers on a regional train in northern Bavaria on Monday, before being shot dead by police.

German officials were treating that as the first attack with a jihadi motive by an asylum seeker on German soil.

It's only a matter of time until it comes to Britain, makes me a bit happier we've left the EU now. Wonder why we haven't had as many attacks as places in mainland Europe, is it an access thing or is it our security services? 

7 minutes ago, DanNDH88 said:

It's only a matter of time until it comes to Britain, makes me a bit happier we've left the EU now. Wonder why we haven't had as many attacks as places in mainland Europe, is it an access thing or is it our security services? 

You are probably right and I imagine it would be carnage. All these countries can have dozens of armed police on the scene in minutes. We'd be lucky to turn out one armed response in 20 minutes if it happened someone outside a major city. Very worrying. 

21 minutes ago, DanNDH88 said:

Well there's lots of guns floating around, so like with the Belgium/Paris attacks they just got their guns from Russia or wherever and drove them over. I dont think leaving the EU makes a difference really.

Sad news about the attacks though. I live near Munich and it is a lovely place.

5 years ago today was the Ander Brevik shootings, maybe it is just a coincidence.

There's more than 1 gunman in Munich.

Police are dealing with three incidents at the moment there's 1 on a car park roof, 1 in a shopping centre who has fled and shot somebody on the metro and another in McDonalds......

53 minutes ago, DanNDH88 said:

I can't comment on ease of access to weapons but our intelligence service are very good, like at the very top level.

2 hours ago, Swan Lesta said:

There's more than 1 gunman in Munich.

Police are dealing with three incidents at the moment there's 1 on a car park roof, 1 in a shopping centre who has fled and shot somebody on the metro and another in McDonalds......

37 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

So many contrasting reports on this so far. Social media can be useful in times of crisis but it's also full of fake reports. 

From what I've seen and heard so far on the web and Social Media with rather good videos from the scenes available, the one loonie in the parking garage speaks German with a thicker Bavarian or Austrian accent and seems to be a local. The guy that exited McDonald's, calmly shooting at passersby, looked also like he was a white dude. Could be former military personnel. You know Germany had their fair share of people over in Afghanistan.

19 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

From what I've seen and heard so far on the web and Social Media with rather good videos from the scenes available, the one loonie in the parking garage speaks German with a thicker Bavarian or Austrian accent and seems to be a local. The guy that exited McDonald's, calmly shooting at passersby, looked also like he was a white dude. Could be former military personnel. You know Germany had their fair share of people over in Afghanistan.

Edited by Nick

So many conflicting reports. It does seem like a right-wing attack, only because ISIS haven't claimed anything and usually they claim everything as soon as. 

Bunch of nutters, whoever did it. I just hope my colleagues based in Munich didn't get caught up in it. How bad must your luck be to go to the shopping mall on a Friday and end up being killed.

I'm interested in the imagine if it happened here comments. Do you think every small village and town in France and Germany has an armed response unit? Most of them are more remote than they are here.....terriosits attack built up areas, like Paris, nice, Munich etc, and if they choose to change their tactic it'd have the same effect anywhere.

the reason they give places like that a wide birth, Imo anyway, is that community spirit and local knowledge would get the better of them, you can have all the guns you want only takes one or two blokes jumping on you and those guns are no longer yours. Where as in built up areas much easier to cause mass panic and confusion.

Edited by Manwell Pablo

2 minutes ago, Manwell Pablo said:

I'm interested in the imagine if it happened here comments. Do you think every small village and town in France and Germany has an armed response unit? Most of them are more remote than they are here.....terriosits attack built up areas, like Paris, nice, Munich etc, and if they choose to change their tactic it'd have the same effect anywhere.

the reason they give places like that a wide birth, Imo anyway, is that community spirit and local knowledge would get the better of them, you can have all the guns you want only takes one or two blokes jumping on you and those guns are no longer yours. Where as in built up areas much easier to cause mass panic and confusion.

The point is all their police have guns. They may not be special forces but atleast they can pump armed resources into an area very quickly to offer a decent resistance.

4 minutes ago, Larry_LCFC said:

The point is all their police have guns. They may not be special forces but atleast they can pump armed resources into an area very quickly to offer a decent resistance.

Im no expert but I'm not sure every Bobby in every village is packing in Europe, I'm also not sure accessibility to weapons for police offers in this country is restrictive as people think.

7 minutes ago, Manwell Pablo said:

Im no expert but I'm not sure every Bobby in every village is packing in Europe, I'm also not sure accessibility to weapons for police offers in this country is restrictive as people think.

There are a small percentage of trained and licensed firearms officers.  Those that are are highly trained, those that aren't have no formal firearms training.  There is no way that an untrained officer would be handed a gun.

5 hours ago, DanNDH88 said:

At least 10 killed apparently :(

Part of a long-planned scenario.

Increasing random attacks by individuals or very small cells, very hard to trace before action, costing the authorities lots of money and deterring people from living their normal lives, the idea being that there's a) an economical cost and b) a socio/economic cost.

Oh yes, economics comes into this and, right now, Sharia law is being adapted so that the entire Muslim population can start buying gold.

Why would they do that? Because, sooner or later, economies will implode and paper money will be increasingly worthless in some places.

Just note the increasing numbers of terrorist attacks. How many this last week alone?

Imagine the number of IS cells in various countries. Then imagine the cost of, say, the Paris or Nice attacks multiplied many times. Where does the money come from if the bills are getting higher and consumers are spending less because they're scared for themselves and their kids?       

http://time.com/4120187/paris-attacks-economic-cost-terror/

https://www.thestreet.com/story/13622922/2/how-a-change-in-islam-s-sharia-law-could-increase-demand-for-gold.html

Edited by Thracian

The gunman was German-Iranian, born in Germany, 18 years old. Out of the nine victims he shot, there are two girls and six boys aged between 15 and 21 years old. The tenth victim was a 45-year old woman.

Since 95% of all Persians are Shiite, you can likely assume the shooter was not connected to IS, Al-Qaeda or any other Muslim terrorist group. On first evidence, authorities have issued statements declaring the sad happenings from last night an amok deed. Also, suicide is a cowardly act in Islam.

Looks more like the terrible act of a bored, misunderstood and angry late teenager/young adult to me.

Edited by MC Prussian

Isn't there a video of him on the car park roof saying he was bullied for 7 years and was in rehab or something? Sounds similar to a lot of American school/teenager shootings, kill other young people you're angry at and then shoot yourself. 

• Like 1

Guest MattP
13 hours ago, purpleronnie said:

I get the sense that there will be a lot of people dissapointed if this wasn't a muslim carrying out the attacks.

I actually got the impression watching the BBC the oppposite, almost delight in the reporting that it might be someone from the "far-right".

Ironically Facebook was full of people who usually tell us not speculate on things like this anything shouting from the rooftops who it might be.