Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lestalee

kanye at glasto..

Kanye created his own hype. He's as big as he thinks he is. It's weird but it seems to work, he's the biggest name in music. As to where he can take his music? He's not had two albums sound the same since he began. You mentioned Yeezus, have you listened to his old stuff before the ego? Listen to his first 3 if you want some good albums.

Pharrell? He's great but you know he's in his 40's right? He's been around for ever on his own and with N.E.R.D.

You know Kanye is 38 right, only a four years younger than Pharrell, and started in music at roughly the same age too?

Cause he came on the scene talking about real shit, his life, real problems, not just guns and dolllaahhh. He combined hip hop with pop and brought it into the mainstream. He's no doubt a trailblazer.

lol

Kanye West brought hip hop into the mainstream? There's been some ridiculous posts in this thread and this one is also ridiculous. Hip hop has been mainstream since the 90s. Kanye is just a crap copycat artist.

lol

Kanye West brought hip hop into the mainstream? There's been some ridiculous posts in this thread and this one is also ridiculous. Hip hop has been mainstream since the 90s. Kanye is just a crap copycat artist.

He was at the least very much part of it and one to do it consistently. I'm not a hip hop head by any means but College Dropout was the first hip hop album I bought and I don't remember many artists who have done that and stuck around. Jay Z did go more mainstream eventually but I'm pretty sure Kanye was producing a lot of his stuff at the time.

Care to fill me in on these other artists that have traversed th hip hop/pop genres in the same way as him?

You know Kanye is 38 right, only a four years younger than Pharrell, and started in music at roughly the same age too?

Well aware. It sounded like he was making the point that Pharrell was an up-and-comer and that's how it should be done. I'm not taking anything away from Pharrell but my point was that not understanding where Kanye can take his music is a bit silly considering his sound has constantly evolved over the last 10 years and more.

You're pretty ignorant about his production and discography considering you're 'in the biz'. He's produced hip hop albums and influenced a huge amount of artists. Personally I'm not a fan of some of his new stuff but The College Dropout, Late Registration, Graduation, 808's and MBDTF are all fantastic albums in their own right.

I've seen some of the shit you listen to, just because you like to think of yourself as some connoisseur of 80's rock and that you were born in the rock age it doesn't mean you can dismiss one of the biggest pop acts in the world for the last decade as shit.

You've entirely missed the point - he may have released some good music a decade ago (although frankly I'd beg to differ, nothing of his I've ever heard has been particularly remarkable) but that's a sideshow now, his public image is of an egotistical loon - possibility is that it's a calculated move like Boris Johnson, his lovable buffoon image is just that, he's a fiercely intelligent politician beneath that, but calculated image or a midlife crisis that's gone off the rails, his antics are what people who aren't hip hop fans will think of first. If it's deliberate it's a genius marketing strategy, but either way it's what is most remarkable about him.

He was at the least very much part of it and one to do it consistently. I'm not a hip hop head by any means but College Dropout was the first hip hop album I bought and I don't remember many artists who have done that and stuck around. Jay Z did go more mainstream eventually but I'm pretty sure Kanye was producing a lot of his stuff at the time.

Care to fill me in on these other artists that have traversed th hip hop/pop genres in the same way as him?

I think that says more about when you first began listening to Hip Hop than about its timeframe as a mainstream genre.  Run DMC, MC Hammer, Vanilla Ice, Salt n Pepper, Eminem, NWA, Wu-Tang Clan, Ludacris, Jay-Z, Busta Rhymes etc. were all pulling in establishment audiences and ironic hipster types long before Kanye was around.  Just because they weren't playing the headline act on the Pyramid stage in the 90's it doesn't mean they were less mainstream than him, it just means Glastonbury hadn't completely given up on its rock image back then.

You've entirely missed the point - he may have released some good music a decade ago (although frankly I'd beg to differ, nothing of his I've ever heard has been particularly remarkable) but that's a sideshow now, his public image is of an egotistical loon - possibility is that it's a calculated move like Boris Johnson, his lovable buffoon image is just that, he's a fiercely intelligent politician beneath that, but calculated image or a midlife crisis that's gone off the rails, his antics are what people who aren't hip hop fans will think of first. If it's deliberate it's a genius marketing strategy, but either way it's what is most remarkable about him.

Why does that matter though? Does it matter that I associate Ozzy Osbourne with biting a chickens head off or Kurt Cobaine for blowing his brains out? I'm not really fans of theirs but I know they made great music.

Obviously he has a massive ego and he often looks like he's got a screw loose but it's definitely a persona at the same time. I think he's a deeply complicated man and I won't pretend to understand him but I do appreciate a lot of his work and what he's done for his genre and industry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfyZwEp49j0

I think that says more about when you first began listening to Hip Hop than about its timeframe as a mainstream genre.  Run DMC, MC Hammer, Vanilla Ice, Salt n Pepper, Eminem, NWA, Wu-Tang Clan, Ludacris, Jay-Z, Busta Rhymes etc. were all pulling in establishment audiences and ironic hipster types long before Kanye was around.  Just because they weren't playing the headline act on the Pyramid stage in the 90's it doesn't mean they were less mainstream than him, it just means Glastonbury hadn't completely given up on its rock image back then.

Maybe it does, probably my age. The Marshall Mathers LP and The Black Album were another of my first albums and of course Eminem and Jay Z were also pioneers, I think they're the only ones comparable to Kanye. I don't think any of those mentioned were as big a superstar as Kanye is though, regardless of talent. I also find it laughable comparing someone like Vanilla Ice to Kanye or Eminem or Jay Z. Wu Tang, Luda and Busta Rhymes were a lot less mainstream as far as I'm aware, massive in the hip hop world but not to the general public.

Someone more into hip hop and with more knowledge can probably argue this better, I'll admit that, but I still think there's few he can be compared to in terms of what he's done, over the length of time he's done it in and to the scale he's done it.

Why does that matter though? Does it matter that I associate Ozzy Osbourne with biting a chickens head off or Kurt Cobaine for blowing his brains out? I'm not really fans of theirs but I know they made great music.

Obviously he has a massive ego and he often looks like he's got a screw loose but it's definitely a persona at the same time. I think he's a deeply complicated man and I won't pretend to understand him but I do appreciate a lot of his work and what he's done for his genre and industry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfyZwEp49j0

I never said it mattered, I said that he's not known primarily for his music outside of hip-hop fans, just as outside of metal fans, most Norwegian acts of the early 90s would be better known for burning down churches that their music (some of which is absolutely top draw). He can hardly be considered a musical legend when outside his genre he's mostly notable for having a screw-loose.

Maybe it does, probably my age. The Marshall Mathers LP and The Black Album were another of my first albums and of course Eminem and Jay Z were also pioneers, I think they're the only ones comparable to Kanye. I don't think any of those mentioned were as big a superstar as Kanye is though, regardless of talent. I also find it laughable comparing someone like Vanilla Ice to Kanye or Eminem or Jay Z. Wu Tang, Luda and Busta Rhymes were a lot less mainstream as far as I'm aware, massive in the hip hop world but not to the general public.

Someone more into hip hop and with more knowledge can probably argue this better, I'll admit that, but I still think there's few he can be compared to in terms of what he's done, over the length of time he's done it in and to the scale he's done it.

Honestly I get what you're saying but I disagree that he's done anything positive for Hip Hop as a genre.  The Vanilla Ice thing is pretty much exactly how I feel about Kanye, I put him in there hoping you'd see as you do that commercial popularity is by no means a function of innovation and genius.

Ludacris used to get played alongside the likes of 5ive and Blue at my school discos, if that's not the very definition of mainstream I'm at a complete loss here.

Exactly what Carl says.

Cause he came on the scene talking about real shit, his life, real problems, not just guns and dolllaahhh. He combined hip hop with pop and brought it into the mainstream. He's no doubt a trailblazer.

You do know he was brought up in a middle class family?

I was just using Pharrell as an example of someone who can sing. I think he will also have more collaborations, such as with Daft Punk, which will improve his music further. Whereas Kanye has to stand alone, not because he is a genius, but because he is an egotistical wally. He will get further in to his own head and keep producing rubbish. As I said, I liked his earlier stuff, but the last one, no.

I never said it mattered, I said that he's not known primarily for his music outside of hip-hop fans, just as outside of metal fans, most Norwegian acts of the early 90s would be better known for burning down churches that their music (some of which is absolutely top draw). He can hardly be considered a musical legend when outside his genre he's mostly notable for having a screw-loose.

You're talking shit now aren't you and I think you know you are lol

Exactly what Carl says.

I was just using Pharrell as an example of someone who can sing. I think he will also have more collaborations, such as with Daft Punk, which will improve his music further. Whereas Kanye has to stand alone, not because he is a genius, but because he is an egotistical wally. He will get further in to his own head and keep producing rubbish. As I said, I liked his earlier stuff, but the last one, no.

Daft Punk were involved with the Yeezus album...

Does his 'personality' really matter?  Some of the artists I love have acted like arseholes through years, a lot people in bands are big heads who think what they're doing is better than anyone else, I think it's that side of them that help create such great music.

Afterall it's the music that's most important, I'm no Kanye fan but I can see the appeal he has made some good pop songs. 

I'm all for more Kanye wests, music has become so bland over the last decade at least he gets people talking.

You're talking shit now aren't you and I think you know you are lol

Not in the slightest, but it's quite clear his fans can't see the act has overtaken the music in terms of public perception so I'll leave it there.

Does his 'personality' really matter?  Some of the artists I love have acted like arseholes through years, a lot people in bands are big heads who think what they're doing is better than anyone else, I think it's that side of them that help create such great music.

Afterall it's the music that's most important, I'm no Kanye fan but I can see the appeal he has made some good pop songs. 

I'm all for more Kanye wests, music has become so bland over the last decade at least he gets people talking.

Not in the slightest, unless you only listen to the charts - music is as diverse and interesting as it's ever been, even more so given how easy it is to find new music these days.

Not in the slightest, but it's quite clear his fans can't see the act has overtaken the music in terms of public perception so I'll leave it there.

Not in the slightest, unless you only listen to the charts - music is as diverse and interesting as it's ever been, even more so given how easy it is to find new music these days.

Yeah I meant the charts / pop music in general.

Exactly what Carl says.

I hope he goes back to his roots a bit at some point, I much prefer his old stuff but I assume he'll carry on keeping it fresh.

If you look at all his albums you'll see he collabs constantly, co-writes, features and produces with a lot of people.

I don't think his upbringing is really relevant to any of my points.

Archived