Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Babylon

Stadium Works

It's fascinating isn't it .... just shows how much expertise and money go into making every aspect of the club as good as it can be ..... £250k to hire lighting rigs - i imagine the electric meter spins pretty fast with it on too!!!

Funny you should say that as one night I was walking past the stadium and tripped over a cable running from a busted open door on a street light across the path and under the gate.

With the Rugby World Cup right around the corner it got me thinking about the matches played at King Power or for marketing purposes the Leicester City Stadium.

It's great to see the King Power hosting other sports but how will this effect our premier league progress?

I know we have a fantastic set up down here, one of the best pitches in the league and personally think our groundsman always do a great job.

Will the extra rugby matches cause any damage to our pitch that may effect our fast and furious style of play?

We have had a great start to the season and long may it continue, I just hope that with the rugby matches being played here doesn't cause too much/if any disruption to this run

• 1 month later...

If anything is going to be done in the summer it will only be work on strengthening the foundations in preparation for an expansion. This will also help in terms of making the stadium suitable for concerts and other such shit.

This strengthening was not done when the ground was built as it was done on the cheap.

There's no way an expansion has been pushed through quickly enough for it to begin in the summer lol

Hate to be a party pooper but no sign of any planning application on the LCC site

Could the club be in consultation with the council first before submitting the application? So as to not waste their time and money and to get the application correct first time of asking?

If they are going to do it, then this season looks like the time to do it in all honesty. What an absolutely massive statement of intent that would be with us sitting pretty in the league and announcing an expansion before the transfer window opens.

Our lowest attendance this season has been 31,733 and of course it didn't get below 31k last season. There are clearly thousands of people missing out on tickets. It's got to be time to start considering this seriously.

And last time we were in the Premier League in 2003-04 we averaged 30,983.

So that's going to be 3 BPL seasons at Filbert Way with near full average capacity - two of those seasons we've spent most of the time losing near the foot of the table,

Last season average - 31,693

It needs to happen, the fact that you could not buy a season ticket this year unless you were an existing member shows that.

Also fixtures like Watford were sold out weeks in advance.

Our catchment area is huge, as far south as Northampton/Bedford/MK.....as far east as Peterborough, as far west as Coventry and as far north as Nottingham.

All the teams around us are shit at the moment so we are bound to attract younger generations of fans based on current performance and position.

IMO, it'll be daft not to expand.

The worst that could happen is that we only partly fill in the expansion for some games but fill it for others.

The more people who get to watch the team they support, the better.

No better time to do it with the influx of TV money.

Guest CityFan 06

Certainly think an expansion would make our ground look better, and like others have mentioned additional seats would be good for the fans who can't get a ticket. My only concern would be how well established we are in the Premier League, but by the looks of things hopefully we'll be in the top flight for years to come.

We're as established now as we're probably ever going to be.

I'd be over ambitious with our stadium size, 50,000 or even 60,000.

Sell what we sell and get kids in from schools for free, see it as an investment for our future fans. Create a culture that people go and see there team every home game. There are certain games we would sell out like Man Utd, Arsenal, etc but people will get the bug if the team are performing and they know they can get tickets.

A leap of faith is what's needed as with our population we should be getting bigger gates. 

Guest CityFan 06

Am I right in thinking only the East, Kop and Family stands can be expanded? I seem to think the West Stand cannot be expanded...

Am I right in thinking only the East, Kop and Family stands can be expanded? I seem to think the West Stand cannot be expanded...

Correct. Serious work would be needed to be done on the ground to hold other tiers on the Kop and family Stand though.

I was sat in the East stand d in the same block as Jobber this weekend and ****ing hell it seems unsafe.

It's like standing on a trampoline when people start jumping. I'd say that the ground probably needs to be structurally improved at some point soon

This is a myth. The only work that will be done this summer is the strengthening of each stand as AKCJ suggests needs doing above.

The club are considering expanding, absolutely no doubt about that but I'll eat my hat if it's this summer.

Guest CityFan 06

Originally I thought it would be expanded next summer if we stay up, not sure about that now but will be interesting to see of any developments. 

We're as established now as we're probably ever going to be.

I'd be over ambitious with our stadium size, 50,000 or even 60,000.

Sell what we sell and get kids in from schools for free, see it as an investment for our future fans. Create a culture that people go and see there team every home game. There are certain games we would sell out like Man Utd, Arsenal, etc but people will get the bug if the team are performing and they know they can get tickets.

A leap of faith is what's needed as with our population we should be getting bigger gates. 

Absolutely right that the club could fill any extra seats but this isn't the time. It'll happen soon enough, though.

A few injuries and this season's fortunes could easily turn. Also, let's remember that this stadium was a big portion of the club's debts that led to administration. I know we're in a much different place now, but long-term planning'll see to continued success and (eventually) a larger capacity at the KP.

Archived