Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
les-tah

Ranieri - the interview

He said the right things in the video so I am more tilted towards liking him. Still not happy with the situation though.

Yes his English is ok, but does he understand the culture etc of our club? Not as well as Pearson would have done but hopefully he can learn quickly.

Let's wait and see what happens but he does seem quite arrogant, ironically.

I will make you stronger.

A normal team like Leicester.

You weren't great in November December, I can be better than that.

You hated Pearson for arrogance, but this guy is a big name who house won some trophies somewhere in the world so it's ok. Just a pointer to be made, Ranieri has fallen out with the media and players in the past, it's been heavily publicised, so I am not 100% sure he is going to be much different to Nige with the media etc.

Final point that annoyed me a little is that he said he was at some of the games near the end of the season. Does this mean the Thais had him at the ground and were planning this long before Nigel was sacked? Were they just waiting for an excuse to give him the shove?

What exactly is the culture of our club?

In regards to the points in bold, any new manager would've said that, he's hardly going to come out and say he's not going to be better than what we had before is he? And as much as people will state otherwise, we are a normal team. 

Didn't come across as arrogant at all to me in that interview. Said the right things imo

I'm not having a go here, but Pearson is gone. He did what was expected of him last season - he kept us up. Arguably, I admit imo, we made much harder work of last season than we should have done, but at the end of it all there can be no quibbles.

That said, I simply don't understand why so many people think that Leicester City FC should have revolved around NP forevermore, and that no other manager before or since can possibly live up to him.

Maybe for fans say under 25 I can see the Pearson thing, because he has produced the best team you have seen in your adult life.

Believe me though we've had better than him in the past and hopefully we will have better in the future. Let's hope Ranieri is one of them - who knows?

Did he really say he was 'at some of the games'? Or did he just mean he watched some of the games on tv/dvd?

What exactly is the culture of our club?

In regards to the points in bold, any new manager would've said that, he's hardly going to come out and say he's not going to be better than what we had before is he? And as much as people will state otherwise, we are a normal team.

Didn't come across as arrogant at all to me in that interview. Said the right things imo

I never said we should revolve around Pearson, as I said, I thought he said all the right things. It's all perspective and opinion of course but I stand by the fact that he seemed a little arrogant, not over the top, but typically Italian. Maybe not such a bad thing in some respects.

I took his statements to mean that he was watching at the ground, otherwise why would some random Italian manager (which he would have been last season) watch our games on TV, when he could have watched the top 4?. Just intrigued.

Our club has a culture of hard work and sheer determination, a squad/club togetherness that not many clubs have, Nige instilled that within the club and insisted on its effectiveness. I just hope that continues, and we don't bring in players because they are names, just to promote the kp brand (I suspect this is where we are going) at the cost of this culture and team that's full of hungry potential.

As for other managers I have seen plenty thanks including MON. Pearson achieved as much as Martin tbh, to bring us back from our lowest point and take us back to the prem in the time scale he did, working on a reasonably small budget and playing mostly good football is admirable. A 14th place finish is also excellent, I don't care how we did it, we did. We also didn't play that good of football under MON, we relied heavily on a physical presence up top.

Anyway Pearson has gone, I don't support that decision still, but we do have to move onwards now. So welcome Claudio and I look forward to you proving my doubts wrong.

He said the right things in the video so I am more tilted towards liking him. Still not happy with the situation though.

Yes his English is ok, but does he understand the culture etc of our club? Not as well as Pearson would have done but hopefully he can learn quickly.

Let's wait and see what happens but he does seem quite arrogant, ironically.

I will make you stronger.

A normal team like Leicester.

You weren't great in November December, I can be better than that.

You hated Pearson for arrogance, but this guy is a big name who house won some trophies somewhere in the world so it's ok. Just a pointer to be made, Ranieri has fallen out with the media and players in the past, it's been heavily publicised, so I am not 100% sure he is going to be much different to Nige with the media etc.

Final point that annoyed me a little is that he said he was at some of the games near the end of the season. Does this mean the Thais had him at the ground and were planning this long before Nigel was sacked? Were they just waiting for an excuse to give him the shove?

Are you for real? jesus wept.

In what way was any part of his interview "arrogant"? He said the period between November and December wasnt so good, but the end of the season was fantastic. He wants to capture those performances more often. He said he has a lot of respect for the English Premier League, and that he feels a sense of warmth from the people involved in English football towards him which made him feel good about the job.

He said he didnt want to change much in the team. He was praising Pearson and the players on their end of the season.

"Normal" team like Leicester comes from the fact that English isnt his first language and he was searching for a suitable word to use to describe us not being a "massive" club and one that is growing. I think its fairly obvious thats what he meant to everyone but you it would seem.

If anything, he comes across as very astute and humble, far from arrogant.

And suggesting that the Thais were tapping him up and that they wanted to replace Pearson, come on. How many other managers do you think were at our games last season? Ranieri was a national team manager, and probably keeping tabs on players for whatever his next job was going to be, as would a host of other managers. Roy Hodgson came to the game vs Southampton, you think we were tapping him up? he was an international manager too.

If he was tapped up, do you not think knowledge would have gotten out and he would have been the overwhelming bookies favourite?

There was just a breakdown in relationship to the point it couldnt be recovered. The Thais stuck with Pearson through the whole malaise of the season until its glorious climax.

This is a WUM post of the highest order and it looks ridiculous and blatantly prejudiced.

Are you for real? jesus wept.

In what way was any part of his interview "arrogant"? He said the period between November and December wasnt so good, but the end of the season was fantastic. He wants to capture those performances more often. He said he has a lot of respect for the English Premier League, and that he feels a sense of warmth from the people involved in English football towards him which made him feel good about the job.

He said he didnt want to change much in the team. He was praising Pearson and the players on their end of the season.

"Normal" team like Leicester comes from the fact that English isnt his first language and he was searching for a suitable word to use to describe us not being a "massive" club and one that is growing. I think its fairly obvious thats what he meant to everyone but you it would seem.

If anything, he comes across as very astute and humble, far from arrogant.

And suggesting that the Thais were tapping him up and that they wanted to replace Pearson, come on. How many other managers do you think were at our games last season? Ranieri was a national team manager, and probably keeping tabs on players for whatever his next job was going to be, as would a host of other managers. Roy Hodgson came to the game vs Southampton, you think we were tapping him up? he was an international manager too.

If he was tapped up, do you not think knowledge would have gotten out and he would have been the overwhelming bookies favourite?

There was just a breakdown in relationship to the point it couldnt be recovered. The Thais stuck with Pearson through the whole malaise of the season until its glorious climax.

This is a WUM post of the highest order and it looks ridiculous and blatantly prejudiced.

Please see my above post. Also please note that I was far from wumming, I am biased towards our best manager since MON. Naturally. I am disappointed he has gone, but have clearly stated above that I thought Claudio said the right things and that I hope he sticks to that.

He clearly has been tapped up, as for your comment ala Woy, he was there to watch vardy and Southampton England internationals. I repeat the question, why would a manager from Italy watch our games when he could be watching the Top 4 teams.

I wish Claudio the best and look forward to seeing him prove my doubts wrong. Up the foxes.

Please see my above post. Also please note that I was far from wumming, I am biased towards our best manager since MON. Naturally. I am disappointed he has gone, but have clearly stated above that I thought Claudio said the right things and that I hope he sticks to that.

He clearly has been tapped up, as for your comment ala Woy, he was there to watch vardy and Southampton England internationals. I repeat the question, why would a manager from Italy watch our games when he could be watching the Top 4 teams.

I wish Claudio the best and look forward to seeing him prove my doubts wrong. Up the foxes.

He clearly wasnt tapped up. He declared an interest in coming to Leicester in the media. There were loads of candidates for the job. If he had been tapped up, it would have been common knowledge it would be impossible to keep it under wraps. Until a few weeks ago, Pearson was the manager and that was it. There has been a breaking down to the point owners and Pearson cant work together, and theyve gone for Ranieri.

You dont know why he was there. Managers go to games. Who says he was even at the games? It wouldnt have been hard to have kept up with Leicester on the blistering run we had at the end of the season when we were on everyones lips from a far.

If you thought he said the right things, why would you say he was arrogant which is viewed as a negative trait? He said the right things but in a way that made them sound negative by being arrogant? that doesnt make sense. He doesnt have any inkling of a holier than thou personality.

I never said we should revolve around Pearson, as I said, I thought he said all the right things. It's all perspective and opinion of course but I stand by the fact that he seemed a little arrogant, not over the top, but typically Italian. Maybe not such a bad thing in some respects.

I took his statements to mean that he was watching at the ground, otherwise why would some random Italian manager (which he would have been last season) watch our games on TV, when he could have watched the top 4?. Just intrigued.

Our club has a culture of hard work and sheer determination, a squad/club togetherness that not many clubs have, Nige instilled that within the club and insisted on its effectiveness. I just hope that continues, and we don't bring in players because they are names, just to promote the kp brand (I suspect this is where we are going) at the cost of this culture and team that's full of hungry potential.

As for other managers I have seen plenty thanks including MON. Pearson achieved as much as Martin tbh, to bring us back from our lowest point and take us back to the prem in the time scale he did, working on a reasonably small budget and playing mostly good football is admirable. A 14th place finish is also excellent, I don't care how we did it, we did. We also didn't play that good of football under MON, we relied heavily on a physical presence up top.

Anyway Pearson has gone, I don't support that decision still, but we do have to move onwards now. So welcome Claudio and I look forward to you proving my doubts wrong.

And another thing, why do you come to the conclusion that Ranieri will take the hard work ethic away from the squad and bring in "names"? why do people lazily just spout this?

You said you agreed with what Ranieri said, and he was saying the right things. He told you:

He wanted to instill a fighting spirit in the squad, everyone to show battling qualities and all the players to play like it was the last match of the season.

He didnt want to change much. He thought the 3 at the back system made us look very solid. Huth and Cambiasso he described as influential.

So despite agreeing with what he said, you totally contradict yourself by saying you suspect he will ruin the team spirit and buy a load of highly paid mercenaries.

I personally doubt he was there in person.  We were on TV against Newcastle and Chelsea.  I bet he always watches Chelsea games because he used to manage there and maybe watches other televised PL games as well.  He probably requested DVD's of the rest of the run in once he decided to go for the job.  Or maybe he just watches every single PL game each week.  If I was a professional manager that's probably what I would do.

If we had tapped him up then I agree with Donut, the press would know about it.  If he was at our games near the end of the season he would have been spotted.  Did any of our fans see him there?  If anyone did please reply and let me know.  Also why would we take so long appointing a new manager if it was all arranged?  We didn't take any time appointing Sousa for that reason, and he was spotted at the Cardiff game, Ranieri hasn't been, although I could be wrong.

I'm not having a go here, but Pearson is gone. He did what was expected of him last season - he kept us up. Arguably, I admit imo, we made much harder work of last season than we should have done, but at the end of it all there can be no quibbles.

That said, I simply don't understand why so many people think that Leicester City FC should have revolved around NP forevermore, and that no other manager before or since can possibly live up to him.

Maybe for fans say under 25 I can see the Pearson thing, because he has produced the best team you have seen in your adult life.

Believe me though we've had better than him in the past and hopefully we will have better in the future. Let's hope Ranieri is one of them - who knows?

Why - because we didn't produce the results some fans were demanding? Do people still underestimate the Premier League or did some they overestimate our capabilities?

The club doesn't revolve around Pearson, but the timing of his sacking coupled with the official, yet shallow justification issued by the club leaves a lot of room for speculation. And until one side allows more insight or until the media get the bigger picture, it'll probably never go away as a subject worth talking about.

Personally and looking back in history, I can't recall any other manager being part of the club for so long whilst at the same time being in the epicentre of such a rollercoaster of emotions and movements through the leagues.

And another thing, why do you come to the conclusion that Ranieri will take the hard work ethic away from the squad and bring in "names"? why do people lazily just spout this?

You said you agreed with what Ranieri said, and he was saying the right things. He told you:

He wanted to instill a fighting spirit in the squad, everyone to show battling qualities and all the players to play like it was the last match of the season.

He didnt want to change much. He thought the 3 at the back system made us look very solid. Huth and Cambiasso he described as influential.

So despite agreeing with what he said, you totally contradict yourself by saying you suspect he will ruin the team spirit and buy a load of highly paid mercenaries.

Again you have clearly misquoted me. I said I hope he doesn't do that, his previous teams have played slow build up football (we play a high tempo, pressing game with grit and determination) and many players have not seen eye to eye with him, see Roma situation (it was rumoured that this was to do with some of his signings), I was just saying I hope he doesn't buy names for the KP brand, which I have suspicions is what Nige and the board fell out over.

I also said that I hoped he stuck to the things he has said. If he does then I can see us building on Nige's reign. If he talks the talk but changes it all I will be grossly disappointed.

I still stand by the fact that I feel he has been tapped up. Do you really think he said to the media "I'm interested" and suddenly the Thais signed him up, that's far fetched. Something hasn't been right since the "sacking" earlier in the season and I reckon Ranieri has been tracked and asked to track us since.

Of course it's all speculation and opinions at this point, but like I said I hope my doubts are proved wrong. Bring on next season.

Looking at some of the pictures of his facial expressions at the training camp, it seems as if he's quite numb and unhappy...

Might just be me.

Some people are uncomfortable in front of a camera.

I just had a dream.

I went to the first game of the season, and we were rubbish. We were just playing very slow paced, short passing without any energy or purpose.

We scored and had a player sent off, but other than that, it was incredibly boring to watch.

By the end, I was inconsolable at the thought that our 2012/2015 team had been consigned to the dustbin of history.

Please don't let that be a premonition, Claudio.

Sounds like an afternoon in South London had a while back.

i like claudio as a person . can he do a job for us is the million dollar question . 

as usual when a manager comes in there are always a couple of fans favourites who dont fit or they dont like and i think we will see this in maybe morgan and vardy i just think ranieri will want a quicker cb and also he might want someone who can hold the ball up a bit more up front instead of the chasing machine vardy and this will upset a few fans . 

also when he brings his own guys in i fully expect them to be bigish names on wages to match and this could cause some upset in the camp how he deals with this is also a factor in keeping the morale of the squad together . 

i think with 2 quality midfielders and another quality cb we could do ok this season and if we dont i fully expect claudio to be gone by xmas if we are bottom 

I reckon Claudio knew he had the job a good four or five days before that interview. Plenty of time to watch a load of recordings of last season's matches. It makes sense, too. If you're appointed manager at a club where you don't have a thorough knowledge of the players, one of the first things you're going to do is order the box set of the recent matches and a couple of pizzas (you can tell this from the moobs) and sit and watch them.

He just said he watched the games in that snippet and did not say how. So he has probably been watching videos to get up to speed. Interesting him saying at the end about playing the 'Italian way' Too short excerpt from the interview to read too much into it. The formation is close to how he wants to play so it is just a matter for the players to compete for their right to play. As most of the players are new to him favouritism wont play such a part at the start of the season.

Archived