Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
RobHawk

Mid life crisis

I have passed  my mid-life crisis. Now into  my old age crisis which is when you cannot remember your mid-life crisis.

When I was  young I never though about the mid stage let alone old age. I used to laugh at grumpy old men. Never thought I'd turn into one.

Well I'm bit a young for the red Ferrari or anything like that but I'm fed up with my life as it is, especially in work!

I get paid well for what I do which makes leaving tough unless I can move up, but that's easier said than done, even though I've got qualifications and additional experience so I can move up.

Seriously thinking of just jacking it in and moving abroad, Canada I fancy, any else moved there? What's everyone else's midlife crisis consist off?

Why would moving make a difference?  Same problems exist but now your away from family and friends too.

I'm quite enjoying mid life.

I lurched from one crisis to another when I was young, so maybe that means I don't need to have one now

My early mid-life crisis in my late 30's involved buying super bikes, fast cars etc, I got over that OK but I'm now starting on the 2 homes mid-life crisis (hopefully not for long)

Why would moving make a difference? Same problems exist but now your away from family and friends too.

More sunshine, better lifestyle, new interesting people and places. Some people don't want to settle for convincing themselves that Britain is actually an enjoyable place to live.

Why would moving make a difference?  Same problems exist but now your away from family and friends too.

Me and the misses have been through alot the last year so a fresh start seems like it would be really beneficial. 

Also, like i said in other posts - the biggest issue is my managers a dick and i need to get out of my job. I don'y necessarily need to move country to do that but a complete fresh start would be nice!

Any chance in your job to work remotely, or take a temporary leave? You might find that what you need is a temporary break from the daily grind than a completely new life. Canada is a beautiful country full of quite friendly people, but I do warn you that depending on where you live, you could be dealing with frigid temperatures and snow from November through April. 

If I could drop everything and move, I think i'd pick somewhere out west... maybe California? It seems like everyone who moves out there, stays out there because the weather and the landscape is so beautiful. Who wouldn't want 70's (Fahrenheit) and sunny every day? 

It depends on your career path as well. If you work in IT or business sector then chances are you should be in the GTA (greater toronto area). Vancouver is nice but a very expensive place to live. Ottawa has jobs but are typically government based and require you to speak english and french. Dont bother with the east coast. Alberta is oil based but with oil prices dropping jobs have disappeared too.

I came to canada as a little baby so cant speak to the immigration process now. My dad was sponsored via his company at the time and brought the family.

Canada is a lovely place but has its own issues like any western country. Living in the GTA you get to enjoy balls hot summers and cold arse snow filled winters. Grid lock roads are a problem but thats everywhere nowadays.

I like the extreme change of seasons though. Makes life exciting!

You also are typically 1 to 2 hours max drive from niagara falls and the US border (depending on where in the GTA you live). Detroit is typically 3 to 3.5 hours away, chicago is about 8 hours or so, NYC is about 7 to 8 hours. My inlaws drove down to pensacola florida last month took about 20 hours or so. I think orlando is about 22 hours drive.

Getting down to the caribbean via plane typically ranges from 3.5 to 5 hours.

I say apply for a visa but maybe look to change your job now locally. Maybe you just need a change in job to get out of the funk.

Hmm time to take my own advice?

Opportuntiy to buy my own business, but its 3 hours from the city (any city) and 2+ hours from my daughter who relies on us to some extent. But, its a little country town, quiet, self sustaining and away from the "evils" of society.... hmmm do i go for it?

Worst case scenario, it doesnt make enough money and we live a less salubrious lifestyle... its a long way from town, holidays and nights out may be a thing of the past.

Best case, excluding holidays, we dont do much these days anyway, its a possible future for my daughter and we live the peacful life.

Bugger!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :)  1st world problems i guess :)

More sunshine, better lifestyle, new interesting people and places. Some people don't want to settle for convincing themselves that Britain is actually an enjoyable place to live.

Christ. You've been moaning about the UK for years and you still haven't done anything about it.

Mind you, I've been moaning about Australia for years and I haven't done anything about that either.

Separated from the wife, taking testosterone supplements, hate my job and bought a Jeep Wrangler convertible. Worst of all I was almost crushed yesterday removing the hard top as I no longer have the muscle strength to support it. Now that's a first world mid life crisis.

I was actually approached and interviewed for a job in Oz a couple of months ago, but I didn't get the job and it wasn't quite right anyway.

I'm not actively looking at the moment though. For all I complain about the UK it does have one thing going for it, and that's that for me at least it's currently a shit hot place to make money, and coming from a modest background one does treat these opportunities with respect.

I'll be off in a couple of years though, mark my words

Yeah yeah :)

Oz has been a shit hot place to make money. If I go home I reckon I'll earn about half of what I get now.

It's classic mid life crisis...too old to move, too late to retrain, at least without taking a big financial hit. Not to mention leaving the Jeep behind

I think about my friends parents who find it difficult even to talk to their daughter and grandkids via skype as they told me thay just want to hold their grandkids, can't imagine how bad I'd feel if my sister moved and I couldn't see my nephew and nieces let alone what it would do my my parents.  I understand everyones situation is different but a mid life crisis is one thing moving to the other side of the world away from friends and family is another.

A friend of my mothers who moved eventually came back, she said it was great for a while like being on a long holiday then the same old problems arise, job, paying the bills, lifes mundane activities were the same, she tired of it and moved back.  Same applies to my sister especially when she heard she was pregnant, not sure what she would have done without the help of family.

Just takes a modicum of inner strength to be away from your family, don't be so soft. I see my family once a year at most and it doesn't bother me at all.

Depends how close you are to family, don't think I could move too far away, we are very close knit.

As I get older I worry about being away from the rest of my family. I only have one brother in Leicester and his health is not that great. He is a couple of years younger and has suffered breathing and lung problems for a few years. Needs an oxygen cylinder a lot of the time and has had numerous hospital visits and scares.The rest of the family are in the Lake District and apart from the present situation are in good health as far as I know.

I have thought whether to move up there. Not now but maybe as far ahead as 10 years. I will be in my 70's and my needs will be less. It may depend on my health and mobility though and of course if I am still here.

Just takes a modicum of inner strength to be away from your family, don't be so soft. I see my family once a year at most and it doesn't bother me at all.

bet that's the worst day of their year

Archived