Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
RobHawk

Mid life crisis

Guest MattP

I see my mum and dad everyday just about, sisters each week, nephews and nieces each week, Aunty every week.  Couldn't imagine it any other way.  Picked my niece up from school today, sister came round with my 2 nephews...love it....although after the 20th game of musical statues that got a bit old. :D

Yeah I see them at least 3-4 days a week and always make sure I see my Grandad at least once a week.

I do find it important to see friends though as well, I don't get to see some often enough these days due to location but I think you have to make the effort.

I was talking to my workmate about this recently. Although he's 56 ish (so has more reason to feel like this) we both end up getting seriously fed up with work. I've been promised a payrise for the past 10 months and haven't recieved one. I've gone from trying to prove myself and being relentless in doing so to almost not giving a fcuk. That's happened twice this year although there have been extenuating circumstances to that.

Our conclusion? It comes and goes in cycles every so often.

Yeah I'm with Ronnie on this, I'm as close to my family as anyone can be.

I couldn't imagine not seeing my parents, brothers or grandad for a few months let alone years on end.

I've a lot of cracking friends who I appreciate loads. However, with my birthday approaching I always end up thinking back to family you'd love to have back here, or be able to rewind to a few years ago when everyone was here, and the brother didn't live down London etc.

I'm lucky to have a close family and realise not everyone is as lucky as I've been. But I don't get it when people choose not to speak to close family members. A bird I was seeing refused to speak to her dad and I'd give anything to be able to have an argument with mine now. She just couldn't get it.

Has anyone in here gone classic MLC and traded in the missus for a younger model?

I would be fascinated to know how someone aged about 40 can relate (in a boyfriend/girlfriend way) to someone 20 years their junior, who just won't get the vast majority of their cultural references, many of which were formed pre-Internet and in an age of 2, 3 or 4 channels.

I can honestly say that, if I were single, I would have no interest whatsoever in attempting to conduct a relationship with someone 20 years younger. You'd be forever explaining yourself or telling them to google stuff from "the olden days".

I suppose if you aren't with them to talk to them, it doesn't matter...

The age gap seems to matter less as you get older, although 20 years is a bit of a stretch. 

And like you say, you're not always there for the conversation...

I find talking to most 20 year old women mind numbing now, god knows what it would be like at 40 odd. I've never dated a woman younger than me though.

I'm a proper old fart though already, I really enjoyed a program on canal walks last night.

lol

That's how I've got.....

That said, I've almost always dated girls younger than me.

My lady now is 14 years younger than me.

She sees me as an old git to be fair..and tells me so.

I find talking to most 20 year old women mind numbing now, god knows what it would be like at 40 odd. I've never dated a woman younger than me though.

I'm a proper old fart though already, I really enjoyed a program on canal walks last night.

That's because it's presented by Julia Bradbury and you were knocking one out.

I know I was!

There's a line in an Asia song "Do what I want to anyway....." and, for all that life forces compromise at times, that's my philosophy. I work for myself - there's no-one to answer to and, in terms of happiness/job satisfaction, no-one to blame. I also make as few rules for myself as possible.

I genuinely love and value my wife, my work, my kids, those of my extended family I remain in contact with and my closest friends. Most of the latter have been friends for years and their age is irrelevent. I have young friends at university and older friends who are classed as seniors. Age is just a number.

If I'm unhappy about something or someone I change it or ignore it. Good company is something to be dearly valued but being happy within yourself is equally important.

I'm mostly happy either way and try to fill my days with things, and people, that enhance that feeling.

I don't like any kind of aggro, don't want it and resent the cause big time, especially if it's man made, unnecessary or forced on me.

Once I calm down I'm fine and quite positive in response, even to the point of compromise or conciliation where the wellbeing of myself or people I care about is concerned.

Inner peace is important and trying to achieve it or preserve it over-rides everything in the end. Anything contrary is best rid of.            

There's a line in an Asia song "Do what I want to anyway....." and, for all that life forces compromise at times, that's my philosophy. I work for myself - there's no-one to answer to and, in terms of happiness/job satisfaction, no-one to blame. I also make as few rules for myself as possible.

I genuinely love and value my wife, my work, my kids, those of my extended family I remain in contact with and my closest friends. Most of the latter have been friends for years and their age is irrelevent. I have young friends at university and older friends who are classed as seniors. Age is just a number.

If I'm unhappy about something or someone I change it or ignore it. Good company is something to be dearly valued but being happy within yourself is equally important.

I'm mostly happy either way and try to fill my days with things, and people, that enhance that feeling.

I don't like any kind of aggro, don't want it and resent the cause big time, especially if it's man made, unnecessary or forced on me.

Once I calm down I'm fine and quite positive in response, even to the point of compromise or conciliation where the wellbeing of myself or people I care about is concerned.

Inner peace is important and trying to achieve it or preserve it over-rides everything in the end. Anything contrary is best rid of.

:thumbup:

Ditto Thrac

Family is a very subjective topic.  I get on alright with my parents but I'd never go as far as saying that I'm particularly enamoured with them, that's just how it is.  I never really had any emotional support from them, not even when I was getting bullied as a child.  They were happy to sit me down and tell me whenever they thought I did something wrong though.  To the parents on here: Negative reinforcement as a child doesn't make for a happy and well-adjusted adult.  To top it all off, the closest I got to an apology for their complete absence during my years of being bullied was "I'm sorry you feel that way".  So yes, I get along ok with them but only because I take the opposite approach to most scenarios meaning I can be the bigger person about it all.  I would never actively seek out their company these days though, I'm not that big, but I won't actively avoid birthdays or Christmas, often against my better judgement.

People who get unconditional support from their families often have difficulty understanding that it's not the same for us all.

Family is a very subjective topic.  I get on alright with my parents but I'd never go as far as saying that I'm particularly enamoured with them, that's just how it is.  I never really had any emotional support from them, not even when I was getting bullied as a child.  They were happy to sit me down and tell me whenever they thought I did something wrong though.  To the parents on here: Negative reinforcement as a child doesn't make for a happy and well-adjusted adult.  To top it all off, the closest I got to an apology for their complete absence during my years of being bullied was "I'm sorry you feel that way".  So yes, I get along ok with them but only because I take the opposite approach to most scenarios meaning I can be the bigger person about it all.  I would never actively seek out their company these days though, I'm not that big, but I won't actively avoid birthdays or Christmas, often against my better judgement.

People who get unconditional support from their families often have difficulty understanding that it's not the same for us all.

This is spot on, and pretty much my experience too.

I think about my friends parents who find it difficult even to talk to their daughter and grandkids via skype as they told me thay just want to hold their grandkids, can't imagine how bad I'd feel if my sister moved and I couldn't see my nephew and nieces let alone what it would do my my parents.  I understand everyones situation is different but a mid life crisis is one thing moving to the other side of the world away from friends and family is another.

A friend of my mothers who moved eventually came back, she said it was great for a while like being on a long holiday then the same old problems arise, job, paying the bills, lifes mundane activities were the same, she tired of it and moved back.  Same applies to my sister especially when she heard she was pregnant, not sure what she would have done without the help of family.

I'm with Moose on this one to a certain extent. You're clearly a family man ronnie so there's not reason for you to consider it. You can't choose your family though and I'm sure a lot of people are stuck with a lot of family members they're apathetic about. I appreciate and love my family to bits but I am much closer to a lot of my friends.

I'm only 26 and 20 year olds seem like 12 year olds. I feel like I'm starting to embrace adulthood and I'm absolutelty fine with it.

I'm in two minds between staying in my current job or embark on a new career (via College course).

Ideally, I want both a part-time course to go on alongside having work for the rest of the working week - though I imagine that'll be hard to come by and sort out.

I'm in two minds between staying in my current job or embark on a new career (via College course).

Ideally, I want both a part-time course to go on alongside having work for the rest of the working week - though I imagine that'll be hard to come by and sort out.

Like I said before I'll put a good word in for you at work if you like?

Just out of interest how old do you have to be to have a Mid Life Crisis?

Thinking at 31 I should start planning these things.

I'd say anywhere from 45-50's a pretty good age to get started.  Gives you a bit of leeway to work with in case something goes wrong and you find you've hit 45 but you're still perfectly satisfied with life.

lol

Couldn't do that scousey, I'd miss laughing at your funny posts lol

Wimsy, I work in maccys mate.

Rincey, dunno mate I don't work in the Leicester branch and I'm always busy in the kitchen anyway so don't see much of what goes on in the restaurant.

See, a sarcastic come-back can be funny if done right, and you were close, however sarcastic attacks are just nasty.

Archived