Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Roughest part of Leicester(shire)?

Roughest part of Leicester(shire)??  

119 members have voted

1. 1. Where do you think the roughest area of Leicester is?

• Highfields
    • Braunstone
    • New Parks
    • St Matthews
    • Eyres Monsell
    • Saffron Lane
    • Northfields
    • Beaumont Leys
    • ANY OTHER

Not read all of the thread but hope someone has made the distinction between Braunstone and Braunstone Town.

Separated by the Lane itself, Braunstone really is a bit of a hole, especially around the Cort Crescent area near the park. Braunstone Town is no luxury but it is kept damn well better than Braunstone is. The park is by far and away the best thing going for Braunstone. Magnificent place on a nice day.

Yup.

I think the clue is LE3 1-- postcode for the shite bit. 

What does 'rough' mean?

Poverty? Number of 'problem families'? Fights? Drugs? Standard of the housing stock? Numbers of teenage pregnancies? The list goes on.

It's impossible to tell without defining it.

For instance, I was under the impression that the number of young people taking drugs is highest in Market Harborough, which would not be defined as 'rough'. Reason being the direct rail link to London and the relative affluence of the kids there (ie they can afford them).

Sadly many of these council estates used to be 'nice' when they were first built as most of the residents that moved there were from the slum areas of Leicester were a terraced street would share one outside toilet at the end of the road.

They took a real pride in those houses with their bathrooms/inside toilets but overtime especially in the last twenty years or when councils have cut back on the maintenance and upkeep they've pretty much become the modern day slums when compared to the standards most people expect from their homes.  

I remember in the early 60s as a young kid going up to an opening party for a community centre in Stocking Farm which the local residents had funded and built themselves.

Really?

Always been fights in Ashby in my experience, and some of the better bust ups were around 10 years ago. It's because for too many people go there for a night out because every where else in the local area is utterly shite.

That doesn't make the town "rough" though, Rough is about a lot more than simply how much fighting occurs and as you've pointed out most of the scraps involve out of towners.

Yeh fair one. Nights out are different to living there daily. There have been some utterly despicable people from Coalville- google jai barnett as an example.

My lodger made a point of saying she's never felt uncomfortable walking home after dark through Coalville and I have to agree with that

In the 80's and 90's St. Matthews wasn't bad at all. Nice family atmosphere, good community sports. Perhaps your Dad confused West Indian Immigrants with Scum - I never had any problems when I visited the area.

I and probably you went to school with plenty of kids from St Matthews and I think even they'd agree it was a pretty rough place.

I grew up near the Beeches pub, so naturally I went to school with a lot of Dodgites lol. Some are still friends, but what a lot of them do is appalling.

What's the chippy called opposite that pub? Tikka meal from there was exceptional. The pub itself's gone now hasn't it, turned in to houses.

What school did you go to? Have a feeling you'd know some of my mates.

Barwell isn't particularly rough, roughest in the area I'd say but that's not difficult considering it's a Tory seat.

Earl Shiltons got better as well, but that's probably bias talking. The pride of LE9 for me :ph34r:

Roughest area in LE9 is definitely Newbold Verdon/Desford. Go down the wrong queue line in the post office and you'll be lucky to come out alive, Zimmer frames hurt you know!

Roughest area in LE9 is definitely Newbold Verdon/Desford. Go down the wrong queue line in the post office and you'll be lucky to come out alive, Zimmer frames hurt you know!

The Blue Bell is like the wild west  :D

The Blue Bell is like the wild west  :D

Found the food there very average (greasy chips, slightly warm soggy fish).

Prefer Pesto's, the new one on Leicester Lane - prefer it to what The White Horse was.

Found the food there very average (greasy chips, slightly warm soggy fish).

Prefer Pesto's, the new one on Leicester Lane - prefer it to what The White Horse was.

Yeah food was never up to much I didnt think.

Crikey the WH is gone. Shows how long it is since I've been that way. 

Born in Braunstone (Hockley Farm Road) then moved to the Monsell. Quite a few "moments" there. When living there, never really thought of it as rough though. Had a few fun nights at The Invincible too. I'm sure some of you will know what I mean. St Matthews gets my vote. Just horrible.

What's the chippy called opposite that pub? Tikka meal from there was exceptional. The pub itself's gone now hasn't it, turned in to houses.

What school did you go to? Have a feeling you'd know some of my mates.

Beacon Fish Bar. Haven't been there in years!

Yeah the pub was a shithole to be honest. I went to Holmfield, Winstanley and Bosworth mate.

Archived