Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Roughest part of Leicester(shire)?

Roughest part of Leicester(shire)??  

119 members have voted

1. 1. Where do you think the roughest area of Leicester is?

• Highfields
    • Braunstone
    • New Parks
    • St Matthews
    • Eyres Monsell
    • Saffron Lane
    • Northfields
    • Beaumont Leys
    • ANY OTHER

I was brought up in Braunstone. My father was once the insurance collector there and a staffer at the New Parks Boys Club.

I've still got friends in both areas and "across the road" in Beaumont Leys.

There's been changes of course but I could still write a short book on the many neighbourly and self-sacrificing things people have done in those estates even over just the last 12 months.

People giving their last fiver to provide bread or milk for a family or to keep the money-lender at bay, walking kids to school while their mother was in hospital, providing materials so someone could decorate a house and help save their kids from being taken into care, giving people a bike so they could get to the shops and so on.

These examples aren't made up, they're for real and many more besides.

I could speak of at least four families whose unheralded members deserve an accolade for the help they've given but they're not the only ones. Publicity centres on the criminals and wackos but so much more goes on that is entirely praiseworthy. Mostly, the people need help and opportunity rather than vitriolic categorising and being judged by people who really don't know the circumstances of those they condemn.        

I don't think anyone is doubting that there are many nice people in all of those areas. However, if a friend asks me for a recommendation of where to live in Leicestershire, I'm probably not going to suggest Beaumont Leys.

No trolling intended. I love Ashby as a night out. It's definitely got worse though and you're more likely to find trouble now than you were 10years ago.

Don't get this... Ashby has always been synonymous with trouble. I've been drinking there for 21 years and it's always been bad

The first rule of fight town is you never talk about fight town[/quot

You're not very good at quoting 

There's a lot of poverty and low expectation but perceptions are misleading.

I'm familiar with most places on the list and have visited people in most of them and never felt concern. There's lots of crime though. Much of it could be described as "petty" but there's worse under the surface including murder, abuse of various kinds, intimidation and more.

The thing is that Leicester's an enormous place with a melting pot of people all trying to survive in sometimes challenging surroundings and often, for various reasons, without sufficient funds to manage legally and without sufficient will/knowhow/education/encouragement to change for the better. Others take advantage of those problems. 

For me there's more sadness, depression and real poverty than threat. And lots of well-meaning people doing all they can to help and support one another, even in the smallest ways. But there's "bad" as well. Really bad.  The worst area? There isn't one. There's perpetrators and victims in all of them - but far more fundamentally decent folk too just trying to get by. 

alright, calm down braveheart 

I don't think anyone is doubting that there are many nice people in all of those areas. However, if a friend asks me for a recommendation of where to live in Leicestershire, I'm probably not going to suggest Beaumont Leys.

Haha I didn't suggest you should. But don't ever imagine there's only saints reside in places like Stoneygate and Bradgate. My friend had her sister murdered in Anstey.

And I doubt that Frank Beck lived in Braunstone....or people like Jimmy Saville. As I say, concepts are misleading and it's perhaps best not to assume anything about anyone, anywhere.          

Haha - I'm no Braveheart. I don't get involved and when I have it's been a complete waste of time, energy and resources. If Leicester's taught me one thing it's to just do my job and assume nothing.       

Filberts Treat you can't judge Ashby as rough on its night life. Most of the idiots come over from elsewhere as Ashby actually has a decent economy for a small town, many decent resturants - now attracting chains such as Ask, a new gold star Weatherspoons, numerous other decent boozers and its all on one street. As far as night life goes the fact it handsdown beats towns the size of Coalville, Tamworth and Burton is just credit to it.

Day to day it has high house prices (rising 23% from 2008-2014) and a history many similar sized towns can't boast having been a Spa town and still containing substantial 12th centruy castle ruins. It was voted 8th best Market Town nationally this year in the UK. It also boats some reputable employers with UB still very active in the area and excellent links to Nottingham, Derby, Leicester and Birmingham.

Hardly a fight town.......the former council houses are selling for an average of around £130k.

Filberts Treat you can't judge Ashby as rough on its night life. Most of the idiots come over from elsewhere as Ashby actually has a decent economy for a small town, many decent resturants - now attracting chains such as Ask, a new gold star Weatherspoons, numerous other decent boozers and its all on one street. As far as night life goes the fact it handsdown beats towns the size of Coalville, Tamworth and Burton is just credit to it.

Day to day it has high house prices (rising 23% from 2008-2014) and a history many similar sized towns can't boast having been a Spa town and still containing substantial 12th centruy castle ruins. It was voted 8th best Market Town nationally this year in the UK. It also boats some reputable employers with UB still very active in the area and excellent links to Nottingham, Derby, Leicester and Birmingham.

Hardly a fight town.......the former council houses are selling for an average of around £130k.

Plus there's a swanky hairdressers there where the women are FIIIIIIIIIITTTT!

A lot of my family originally come from new parks and I used to work on the St Matthews estate. There used to be a semblance of community in both places but not sure if that still exists.

To be honest though anywhere within 5 miles of the centre feels total poverty. Not unique admittedly amongst Midlands cities.

Find it depressing every time I visit as you think with a little more imagination from local govt and inward private investment the potential is there for the place to be so much better.

If it wasn't for parents and football then would I ever come back and visit. Probably no. Can't wait to leave when I'm here to be honest which is sad.

I have in Braunstone for over 20 years, not surprised, seen some awful mindless stuff over the years. People there are some of the worst and the continue to breed some of the worst

Ahhh, yes its all in the breeding...

Now even before Braunstone, was just a stone, it was a bad place.

Years a go the London magistrates, sent the loaf stealers, would be cricketers, and general criminals to Australia.

The midlands law enforcers, couldnt get the boats, down the Soar or Trent, so they sent their undesirables to the waste lands, where the coach house and Inn brownstone, was an halfway house. In comparison Sidney and Melbourne just developed alot quicker.

OZ also had a better class bandit in ned kelly, the new Braunstone inhabitants in comparison just stayed tinheads and leadbrained.

Yes history has a lot to answer for.

Lived in both Northfields and St Mathews when I was younger, St Mathews was more of a dive but Northfields was more rough imo. Only crimes that have effected me however have happened in my hometown: Syston.

I see it as quite a safe town; only crime I heard about was one car-break in and a theft at Tesco Metro this year.

Archived