Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Roughest part of Leicester(shire)?

Roughest part of Leicester(shire)??  

119 members have voted

1. 1. Where do you think the roughest area of Leicester is?

• Highfields
    • Braunstone
    • New Parks
    • St Matthews
    • Eyres Monsell
    • Saffron Lane
    • Northfields
    • Beaumont Leys
    • ANY OTHER

Worked as a supply teacher in lots of those areas.

New Parks wasn't bad. Braunstone was a little grimmer, but still alright.

By far the worst was Beaumont Leys, IMO. That being said, I've never had the pleasure of going to St Matthews.

[quote name="Charl91" post="3602620" timestamp="1444255792"

By far the worst was Beaumont Leys, IMO.

I managed a shop in Beaumont Leys in the early 90's. Within the first 6 months I'd been held at knife point, mugged twice, had cash stolen from the till and been robbed of merchandise on a daily basis. Not sure what it's like now but those memories still haunt me to this day...

Went through Barwell not long ago.

Surprised of the number of youths drinking alcohol on the streets at 11:30 on a Wednesday morning.

Barwell isn't particularly rough, roughest in the area I'd say but that's not difficult considering it's a Tory seat.

Earl Shiltons got better as well, but that's probably bias talking. The pride of LE9 for me :ph34r:

One of my favourite stories from a New Parks housing officer was about watching a drug dealer chase another tenant down Birds Nest Avenue with a replica samurai sword. Brilliant stuff.

Hilarious to hear but actually pretty terrifying when you stop and consider that that actually happened.

Remember a drug related murder-by-car on the boulevard at the bottom of Kemp Road while I was working there as well. Most amount of emergency services vehicles I've ever seen descend on a place.

We had another family harassed out of a house on Stephenson by extremely racist graffiti the day after they moved in and this is over the last couple of years, not the seventies.

Of course these are all isolated incidents and I'd never suggest they represent the majority of the New Parks who I've always found to be sound, same as the majority anywhere.

But I don't know of any similar incidents on the Matthews. I'm sure there are stories if you talk to the staff there but I worked what we called Central for two years which is all the Matthews and Highfield and Peters and never had any issues other than the language barrier.

Like I said, I genuinely just think it's people's perceptions. Other than the drug issues which are pretty isolated and the odd case of neighbours rowing, most of our estates are hugely overhyped.

I'm sure if you hung around somewhere in South of East London or even some Washington projects you'd realise what really rough is.

Agree. We need to define "rough." Otherwise, we all end up demonising people who are not like "us."

I used to spend a lot of time on the Mathews estate growing up as my grandparents lived there, used to love playing in the old lockups that where on the courtyards around the flats.

People always seemed so friendly as well, a real sense of community.

One of the tower blocks was named after my mums cousin, but cant remember what it was called.

I realise that things have changed a bit now though.

Edit: Marston house it was called

Is that one of those ironic names like when a 6'3" man ripped to the core goes around calling himself Tiny?

I have no idea why it has that name. Maybe the pikeys where having an attempt a irony...

Coalville is a shit hole but it's definitely not rough.

I'd say Ashby is rougher with the idiots from Burton migrating over for a night out.

lol good troll.

Coalville is a hole and it can be pretty rough in places. Green Hill and Agar Nook are not places I enjoy visiting, although not much of a patch on the rougher parts of Leicester and as Finners says if you want real rough parts of London or Manchester would make anywhere in this county look Utopian.

Highfields is terrible, almost like a third world slum in places. I know because I worked there a while ago and had to go through a lot of the terraced houses.

Never had the displeasure of visiting St Matthews but its reputation speaks for itself. My dad worked for the council and did building work there in the late 80s/early 90s and it was full of scum then according to him.

Beaumont Leyes and the Monsell are bad, but in my experience not as much as the above estates. 

I thought Saffron Lane wasn't too bad, until I went to view a cheap house on a road off there a few weeks ago. Christ, we were put off just by the people walking past it. Didn't feel particularly threatened mind, just looked like I was in a holding pen for Jeremy Kyle. Could never live among people like that.

lol good troll.

Coalville is a hole and it can be pretty rough in places. Green Hill and Agar Nook are not places I enjoy visiting, although not much of a patch on the rougher parts of Leicester and as Finners says if you want real rough parts of London or Manchester would make anywhere in this county look Utopian.

No trolling intended. I love Ashby as a night out. It's definitely got worse though and you're more likely to find trouble now than you were 10years ago.

Highfields is terrible, almost like a third world slum in places. I know because I worked there a while ago and had to go through a lot of the terraced houses.

Never had the displeasure of visiting St Matthews but its reputation speaks for itself. My dad worked for the council and did building work there in the late 80s/early 90s and it was full of scum then according to him.

Beaumont Leyes and the Monsell are bad, but in my experience not as much as the above estates.

I thought Saffron Lane wasn't too bad, until I went to view a cheap house on a road off there a few weeks ago. Christ, we were put off just by the people walking past it. Didn't feel particularly threatened mind, just looked like I was in a holding pen for Jeremy Kyle. Could never live among people like that.

Wow aren't you a £rick. Non of Britain is like a 3rd world slum. How about helping folk instead of looking down on them.

In the 80's and 90's St. Matthews wasn't bad at all. Nice family atmosphere, good community sports. Perhaps your Dad confused West Indian Immigrants with Scum - I never had any problems when I visited the area.

No trolling intended. I love Ashby as a night out. It's definitely got worse though and you're more likely to find trouble now than you were 10years ago.

Really?

Always been fights in Ashby in my experience, and some of the better bust ups were around 10 years ago. It's because for too many people go there for a night out because every where else in the local area is utterly shite.

That doesn't make the town "rough" though, Rough is about a lot more than simply how much fighting occurs and as you've pointed out most of the scraps involve out of towners.

Seen Rowlatts get a couple of mentions, having grown up there its not particularly nice but I never had any problems personally. Definitely got worse over the years though.

My initial reaction to most of the places mentioned is 'shithole' rather 'rough' although that can be seen as the same thing.

In my council days, I always found Brauny relatively sound as there's a community feel to it.

Was never a fan of Eyees Monsell and Highfields. Highfields is a different beast though - you won't find it on deprived areas list, there's money in the area but people simply don't spend it on their houses. I've seen some awful gut turning stuff like young girls led out of drug dens.

A road never like visiting was Mundella Road which had about two drug dealers on it and it was CCTV all up and down. Mundella School when closed down was being used by police and security for surveillance.

I was in Lozells, Birmingham on Sunday. Now that's rough!

Not read all of the thread but hope someone has made the distinction between Braunstone and Braunstone Town.

Separated by the Lane itself, Braunstone really is a bit of a hole, especially around the Cort Crescent area near the park. Braunstone Town is no luxury but it is kept damn well better than Braunstone is. The park is by far and away the best thing going for Braunstone. Magnificent place on a nice day.

Rothley is pretty rough, in some parts it's easier to get cannabis than a copy of the spectator.

Then like any good company they should respond to the market and re-brand themselves The Holla Holla 420 Blaze It feat. Snoop Lion. 

Archived