Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

Food glorious food (The cooking thread)

17 minutes ago, marko said:

I absolutely have! I ordered mine from Turner and George in London. The quality is superb! As I was doing burnt ends I only ordered the 3kg point end, but they do the whole packer cut which is the point and flat if you wanted that. Have you tried asking your local butcher for just the point or flat? The problem with the supermarket cuts is that they're small and dry up quickly and the vast majority is wet aged instead of dry aged, so it just doesn't taste anywhere near as good.

You, sir, are a genius. 

This is exactly what I was looking for! I am just about to place an order...

Not on FB, but use similar forums on sausagemaking.org. 

Thank you so much, I owe you one!!

1 minute ago, Milo said:

You, sir, are a genius. 

This is exactly what I was looking for! I am just about to place an order...

Not on FB, but use similar forums on sausagemaking.org. 

Thank you so much, I owe you one!!

You won't regret it! It's free delivery on all orders over £50 so I always force myself to spend a decent amount with them!

I don't know if you ever do chickens on yours, but their Tasty Bird rub is amazing on chicken.

I will find out those butchers names on the group and let you know because people rate them highly.

15 minutes ago, marko said:

I don't know if you ever do chickens on yours, but their Tasty Bird rub is amazing on chicken

Yep - normally do my own rub, but will give their a try to compare.

Really appreciate this - the meat looks great and the prices are very reasonable...just have to clear a bit of space in my freezer if I'm going to be ordering sixty quids worth of meat!

4 minutes ago, Milo said:

Yep - normally do my own rub, but will give their a try to compare.

Really appreciate this - the meat looks great and the prices are very reasonable...just have to clear a bit of space in my freezer if I'm going to be ordering sixty quids worth of meat!

I always think it's reasonably priced per kilo as well, especially when compared with supermarket prices. I can also highly recommend the JO burgers!

I will look forward to the pictures of the finished product!

Just now, marko said:

Haha - I have a full day of mash brewing beer next Saturday with a couple of mates, I usually try and make something to munch on during the brew process...I will go for a 10-12 hour smoked brisket with their rub and see how it goes.

Although I don't really like doing overnight smokes...

I'll let you know how it goes! 

2 minutes ago, Milo said:

Although I don't really like doing overnight smokes...

I'll let you know how it goes! 

Me neither! I wish I could justify splashing out for a Digi Q or was clever enough to build a Heater Meter!

Hope it goes well.

23 hours ago, marko said:

clever enough to build a Heater Meter!

Never heard of these before, just googled it...wtf???!!! :o

I don't know many people who enjoy the foodie side of smoking, etc that have the same skills sets as those who like to sit indoors for days on end with their soldering irons building NASA-complicated circuit boards...!

Shame that DigiQ is soooo expensive, a bit like the rotisserie attachment...can't really justify the cost of either :(

2 hours ago, toddybad said:

Can anybody explain why a komodo joe or weber even is better than just a bog standard bbq?

The Kamado Joe and Green Egg are ceramic, more versatile and much more controllable. If you are just going to do bog standard BBQ-ing, then go for a bog standard BBQ. 

Most Joe/Green Egg users them for smoking, low & slow cooking, etc. as well as for normal BBQ-ing. 

If you want to do pulled pork or brisket, you will have to cook for 8, 10 or 12 hours at a constant temperature - your normal BBQ can't do this. 

Joe's can also be used as a pizza oven, bread oven and general cooker! I used mine as an extra oven at Christmas and did hot smoked salmon starters and as a cold smoke chamber for smoked butter. 

Like most things, If you are are going to use it, they are fantastic - if not, then they are probably a tad overpriced. 

Edited by Milo
  • Like 1

On 26/08/2017 at 12:02, marko said:

Mate, I can't thank you enough for recommending the butcher.

Got 3kg Brisket and portioned into 3 kilo cuts so that I could experiment a bit. I did an overnight cook on Friday - set the Joe to 130 degrees, with 5 chunks of apple wood in and left it for 10 hours.  

Results were the best melt in the mouth brisket I've ever done and I'm sure that's all down to the meat. Happy days :D  

1.JPG

2.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

The dogs had heart for supper last night, I had liver and kidneys on toast for breakfast this morning, and we've got enough venison to last till Christmas ...      and talking of Christmas, Mrs CF doesn't know it yet but she's getting a nice furry hat from me ..     :) 

FullSizeRender 3.jpg

• Like 2