Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

Food glorious food (The cooking thread)

1 hour ago, Milo said:

Guy who owns Wasabi restaurants is Korean - just branched out into a couple of Korean restaurants (Kimchee) and a Korean/Japanese Bakery...Has 50+ sites in London but is venturing north...

Top bloke and great food 

That's good to hear. Good Korean food is top notch.

Though I'd stay away from their bakery stuff... :blink:

46 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Though I'd stay away from their bakery stuff... :blink:

Haha - They have some delicious things...usual bakery fare plus more exotic items like chicken curry doughnuts, which are unbelievably good :D  Its chicken curry...in a doughnut - whats not to like!! 

34 minutes ago, Milo said:

Haha - They have some delicious things...usual bakery fare plus more exotic items like chicken curry doughnuts, which are unbelievably good :D  Its chicken curry...in a doughnut - whats not to like!! 

Sorry, I had bad experiences in Korean bakeries involving red bean doughnuts and sweet garlic bread while I was working there... :thumbdown:

7 hours ago, Babylon said:

Chicken and Chorizo Paella... 'twas beautiful.

IMG_3422.JPG

Chorizo in paella. I know a very beautiful spanish woman who would hit the roof!

4 hours ago, toddybad said:

Chorizo in paella. I know a very beautiful spanish woman who would hit the roof!

Depends what part of Spain you are from doesn't it. Detest seafood and I'm not putting rabbit in it... so options are limited!

2 hours ago, Babylon said:

Depends what part of Spain you are from doesn't it. Detest seafood and I'm not putting rabbit in it... so options are limited!

I think it's pretty much never used anywhere in Spain but I'm not really having a go as I'd probably use it myself - chorizo just makes anything taste spanish to me!

2 hours ago, toddybad said:

I think it's pretty much never used anywhere in Spain but I'm not really having a go as I'd probably use it myself - chorizo just makes anything taste spanish to me!

Someone needs to tell the Spanish fella on youtube who I copied!!! :D

9 hours ago, toddybad said:

5 hours ago, Babylon said:

2 hours ago, toddybad said:

33 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Someone needs to tell the Spanish fella on youtube who I copied!!! :D

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/jamie-oliver-recipe-paella-chorizo-spain-controversy-a7346081.html

Guest BlueBrett
16 hours ago, leicsmac said:

Is Korean food catching on in the UK then? I hope so.

This one was actually a Chinese hotpot (Sichuan province to be specific) and I was visiting a friend up in York where a disproportionately large number of Chinese live due to the uni and the olde worlde feel of the place. 

I'd love to see more Korean places here too though and i think it's inevitable. Hopefully we'll see more reasonably authentic Asian restaurants of all varieties opening up over the next few years because the nation clearly has an appetite for this type of cuisine and I for one am pretty sick of the swill you get at the typical buffet type places.

4 hours ago, Babylon said:

Well I won't bother posting again seeing as this thread seems full of food snobs.

Given that the word paella pretty much just means pan in the same way that tandoori or tagine refer to the instruments they're cooked in, and given that there are already about a million different paella combinations within Spain itself I say that as long as it's rice-based and has saffron and paprika in it then who gives a shit which specific meats you use?

• Like 2

Guest BlueBrett
6 hours ago, Babylon said:

Well I won't bother posting again seeing as this thread seems full of food snobs.

lol I thought it looked tasty 

11 minutes ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

Got a fig bush at work any ideas lads?

Figs are great, a really good way to feed your livestock some much needed nutrients while you save the more flavoursome slops for a late-night snack with your wine and cheese.

8 minutes ago, Buce said:

CF posted re. figs in the Wildlife and Garden thread on Monday.

You've got to be quicker than a quick thing to beat you Bucey !! ...    and don't forget Sharpey that the darker and softer the fig is the better.  As well as sliced with goats cheese and honey on a cheese biscuit you can also just tear one open and eat them straight away, or, core a few out and have them with ice cream or double cream, (or both if you are a bit of a hog like me!), as a dessert.     :thumbup:

Edited by Countryfox
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, BlueBrett said:

This one was actually a Chinese hotpot (Sichuan province to be specific) and I was visiting a friend up in York where a disproportionately large number of Chinese live due to the uni and the olde worlde feel of the place. 

I'd love to see more Korean places here too though and i think it's inevitable. Hopefully we'll see more reasonably authentic Asian restaurants of all varieties opening up over the next few years because the nation clearly has an appetite for this type of cuisine and I for one am pretty sick of the swill you get at the typical buffet type places.

Korean food is so underrated especially the BBQ. Supposed to be a good place in Beeston for it.

Love the Korean place by the prison in Leicester, great food.

12 hours ago, Babylon said:

Come on babs i was playing quite nicely really. 

I might have pointed out the inauthenticity but i did also say I'd have done the same. It looked tasty btw!

6 hours ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

Got a fig bush at work any ideas lads?

Get a muffin tin. Shove in two little bits of filo to make an 8 pointed star shape, slathered with butter. Chuck in some cut up fig and blue cheese. Could chuck in decent ham too if you wanted - by which i mean serrano not tesco finest - and bake. Have a few of them with a little salad and wine for lunch and the missus will ride you like a stallion (worked for me anyway)

On 23/08/2017 at 19:24, marko said:

It's ridiculously versatile from low 'n' slow cooking, grilling, baking, cold smoking, roasting, and searing.

I made some burnt ends last weekend that were incredible.

Out of interest, have you found anywhere that sells decent sized brisket? Supermarket ones are really skinny when unrolled, and my local butcher says he can't do much better...

if if you look on the US Kamado Joe and Green Egg YouTube channels, they smoke big, thick briskets which look superb. 

Mine taste good, but I want the big juicy version!

49 minutes ago, Milo said:

Out of interest, have you found anywhere that sells decent sized brisket? Supermarket ones are really skinny when unrolled, and my local butcher says he can't do much better...

if if you look on the US Kamado Joe and Green Egg YouTube channels, they smoke big, thick briskets which look superb. 

Google "butcher near me" and turn on GPS ?

On 8/24/2017 at 23:15, Milo said:

I absolutely have! I ordered mine from Turner and George in London. The quality is superb! As I was doing burnt ends I only ordered the 3kg point end, but they do the whole packer cut which is the point and flat if you wanted that. Have you tried asking your local butcher for just the point or flat? The problem with the supermarket cuts is that they're small and dry up quickly and the vast majority is wet aged instead of dry aged, so it just doesn't taste anywhere near as good.

https://www.turnerandgeorge.co.uk/packer-cut-brisket.html

The also do Galican Blond steaks which are amazing and well worth treating yourself to on the odd occasion.

I don't know if you're on Facebook but there's a group on there called Country Woodsmoke which is run by a guy called Marcus. He's super helpful and it's a massive community. There are bound to be people in your neck of the woods who can recommend a butcher near you as well. There's also a few butchers in that group and they even import USDA briskets which have a lot more fat in that British grass fed beef as they're fed on grain. It's well worth joining if you have an account and it gives you some good ideas too.

https://en-gb.facebook.com/groups/CountryWoodSmoke/

• Thanks 1