Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

Food glorious food (The cooking thread)

2 minutes ago, Milo said:

Classic is fine for me, tbh. I can do a 3kg brisket in the classic, and I can't really see myself wanting more than that at any one time...I've got a grill extender for when I'm doing a big BBQ - works fine for me.

Greenhouse people do good deals, had a black Friday deal with a classic for less than £800 - worth keeping an eye on.

Ah fair enough, that puts me back in the hunt then. All the YouTube videos seemed to lean towards the classic being a mistake but then all the guys using them are fat c**ts :D

What accessorise do you use the most and think are essential to start with?

3 hours ago, toddybad said:

Looking at getting an untreated - I.e. Not non stick - wok. It'd obviously need seasoning etc bit is it true that you get a more authentic flavour? 

Personally I wouldn't say it's worth it for home cooking unless you also have a wok burner in which case why don't you already have a traditional wok? :D  It will make a bit of a difference but ultimately you'll end up with a utensil that's more hassle to maintain than it's worth and without the ultra-high cooking temps your food snob friends will still be complaining about the lack of authentic flavour.  Just make sure to use sesame oil and your non-stick should yield perfectly good results anyway.

Edited by Carl the Llama

11 hours ago, Strokes said:

Ah fair enough, that puts me back in the hunt then. All the YouTube videos seemed to lean towards the classic being a mistake but then all the guys using them are fat c**ts :D

What accessorise do you use the most and think are essential to start with?

It is funny to see on the Kamado Joe YouTube channel if you look at the early ones, the guy looks quite normal...skip forward to the recent ones and he looks like Monsieur Creosote and about to explode. 

Never really crossd my mind to get the big joe - but I suppose if you want to cook half cows, or have a big family then it's worth thinking about. 

It comes with the tools, I would recommend a half moon griddle and a cover - see how you get on and then maybe go for the grill extender if you think you'll need it. Ask Santa for some BBQ gloves as they are useful when you're messing around with the heat deflector. 

You can get mad accessories like the rotisserie attachement which costs about £300 (no thanks) and the fan that allows you to regulate overnight temps in cold weather (yes please). 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
5 minutes ago, Durnerz said:

Haven’t posted in this thread for a while but been messing about with my sous vide setup...

AA56BA41-4D18-4F92-9E47-E9B922E0C799.jpeg

F1077138-92A6-4BF9-A031-6992212A1A99.jpeg

DB9C3E05-1575-4CC4-8376-B90922255B3E.jpeg

Looks beautiful mate. 

Although I reckon a good Vet could resuscitate that steak :D

• Haha 3

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Did myself a nice steak tonight ...   sirloin, which is the best cut ...   pat it dry, leave for a few minutes, rub on some extra virgin oil, and season ...   then chuck in a hot pan for a few minutes each side depending on thickness ...   perfect medium rare steak and no spitting around the pan ...  served with a few trimmings ...   perfect ! 

Whats your favourite cut cut and how do you do it ? ...

7 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

Did myself a nice steak tonight ...   sirloin, which is the best cut ...   pat it dry, leave for a few minutes, rub on some extra virgin oil, and season ...   then chuck in a hot pan for a few minutes each side depending on thickness ...   perfect medium rare steak and no spitting around the pan ...  served with a few trimmings ...   perfect ! 

Ribeye. Leave out until it reaches room temperature. Pour over olive oil add salt and pepper. Pan fry for 3 and half to 4 mins 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, foxoffderby said:

Ribeye. Leave out until it reaches room temperature. Pour over olive oil add salt and pepper. Pan fry for 3 and half to 4 mins 

Ribeye is my fave too. Its by far the tastiest of all cuts. Although i do like all steaks. Even Braising steak slow cooked in the oven :) 

1 minute ago, foxoffderby said:

Very similar ...  can’t argue with that one ...  rib eye very tasty ...    but not quite as good ...    imo ....     :)

(i rub the oil in a bit and do both sides ...)

Just now, Suzie the Fox said:

Ribeye is my fave too. Its by far the tastiest of all cuts. Although i do like all steaks. Even Braising steak slow cooked in the oven :) 

Its what I normally go for. I did try a Tomahawk steak whilst on holiday this year well worth the extra few £'s 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Countryfox said:

I should bloody hope not. ugh, who does that? :P

Edited by Smudge

1 hour ago, Countryfox said:

Same cut although over here it's called a New York Strip. I'll use the gas grill (BBQ) with oiled grill bars, turn the meat every 2 minutes until the temperature inside is 140F. (60C)

Let rest for 5-10 mins in foil. A little blood but cuts beautifully and tastes so good.

2 minutes ago, Smudge said:

Same cut although over here it's called a New York Strip. I'll use the gas grill (BBQ) with oiled grill bars, turn the meat every 2 minutes until the temperature inside is 140F. (60C)

Let rest for 5-10 mins in foil. A little blood but cuts beautifully and tastes so good.

Different ...   :thumbup:

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Webbo said:

I had an Argentinian steak in Tenerife that was very good. On the menu it was called flap, I didn't ask which part of the cow that was.

Cows don't got wings :) Bottom Sirloin is the flap

2000px-Bottom_Sirloin_(beef_cuts).svg.png

Edited by Smudge
  • Like 1