Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

Food glorious food (The cooking thread)

10 hours ago, Webbo said:

I've thought a lot about the Uuni oven but now I'm taken with the Morso Forno grill, as close to a quality oven/bbq/smoker as there is currently. It looks quality

I can't see it being a smoker (?). Beautiful looking thing, though. 

• 3 weeks later...

Well its a night in tonight and Mrs CF (who doesn't eat meat) is treating me to a steak ...   WHAT A WHOPPER !! ...   should be ready soon with all the usual bits and pieces ..  chips, peas, garlic mushrooms etc ..  and all washed down with a nice bottle of red.     This is going to take some planning ...   I thought I'd tackle it from the north face first then work my may inland ...

IMG_2607.jpg

Oh no ...   this is one of those threads where I end up talking to myself ..

"How was it ?" 

"Fookin great thanks mate ...   and very nicely cooked"

"What you going to do now ?"

"Watch a a bit of TV"

"Then what ?" 

"Mind your own fookin business !"

• Haha 3

14 hours ago, Countryfox said:

Oh no ...   this is one of those threads where I end up talking to myself ..

"How was it ?" 

"Fookin great thanks mate ...   and very nicely cooked"

"What you going to do now ?"

"Watch a a bit of TV"

"Then what ?" 

"Mind your own fookin business !"

I may be wrong but I sense you may have polished off that bottle of wine? 

• Like 1

just came to see if countryfox was still talking to himself.

Must have taken his conversation offline I guess.

Edited by Guest

4 hours ago, Merging Cultures said:

First attempt at macarons.

I need to do more macaronage and reduce the oven temperature a bit to prevent the cracking.837110f51e8d31312294a167b297b3bd.jpg

Very nice MC ! ...   Wouldn't mind one of them right now ! ...    Was going to take the piss and ask if a macaron was a cross between a macaroon and a French president ...    but luckily I thought I would check first ...    And you are absolutely right, they are macarons !  :o ...    And a macaroon is a chewy shredded coconut biscuit !     Bloody good job I found that out or I would've looked a right fookin plank !!     :)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
[mention=164]Durnerz[/mention] [mention=12691]Merging Cultures[/mention] any recommendations on places to get decent steak or burgers from? 

Burgers any make your owns? 
I buy the dry aged steak from PickNPay. I dont think they have expanded to the UK yet though :)

Do make sure you get dry aged, with a good layer of fat on it. The flavours are much more concentrated.

For burgers, I make a nice lamb, feta and mint burger, topped with a homemade tzatziki sauce.

If doing a 'beef' burger, I use a mix of 2/3 beef and 1/3 pork mince, no bread crumbs, an egg to bind it together, touch of ground cumin, crushed clove of garlic, dash of worcestershire sauce, sugar, salt and pepper to taste.

6 hours ago, Ashley said:

Burgers any make your owns? 

Best burgers, imo, are made with chuck steak and a little bit of cod fat.

Sear the steak quickly to kill the bacteria then mince the beef and melted fat. 

Make into patties, fire the Joe up with the griddle half moon and grab a beer. :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Milo said:

All this talk of burgers made me hungry!!

IMG_1885.JPG

Can't tell what that thing on top of the gherkins is but it looks burnt to coal.

That bacon's way too skinny.

The tomato's too thickly sliced and you've gone and left the stalk on it.

Btw where's the burger is it hiding behind that cheesy Ikea meatball?

Guessing you're still hungry. :ph34r:

• Haha 1

On 15/11/2017 at 20:55, Milo said:

Best burgers, imo, are made with chuck steak and a little bit of cod fat.

Sear the steak quickly to kill the bacteria then mince the beef and melted fat. 

Make into patties, fire the Joe up with the griddle half moon and grab a beer. :thumbup:

I was hoping to get a kamado joe before the summer but I’m not sure my budget is going to stretch as far as I thought. Would you get a classic or wait and get a big joe?

27 minutes ago, Strokes said:

I was hoping to get a kamado joe before the summer but I’m not sure my budget is going to stretch as far as I thought. Would you get a classic or wait and get a big joe?

Classic is fine for me, tbh. I can do a 3kg brisket in the classic, and I can't really see myself wanting more than that at any one time...I've got a grill extender for when I'm doing a big BBQ - works fine for me.

Greenhouse people do good deals, had a black Friday deal with a classic for less than £800 - worth keeping an eye on.