Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

The Car thread

On 21 April 2016 at 22:36, Worthington said:

Swapped today.....Gone Jag again, (wouldn't buy anything else}....Put head above heart though and reverted to diesel....Like sitting on your favourite sofa to achieve 50 mpg...lovely !

Good choice sir, what did you go for?

Just wondered if anyone out there in FT land leases their car? I'm due a new motor but don't want to fork out a big wedge of cash so considering leasing this time. I could do it through my business but I only do about 14,000 miles a year max and about 8,000 of them are business miles. Not sure I can be arsed with the tax & VAT aggro so would probably go down the personal finance route. Any advice, experiences (good or bad) or recommendations would be welcome. Cheers :thumbup:

4 hours ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

Just wondered if anyone out there in FT land leases their car? I'm due a new motor but don't want to fork out a big wedge of cash so considering leasing this time. I could do it through my business but I only do about 14,000 miles a year max and about 8,000 of them are business miles. Not sure I can be arsed with the tax & VAT aggro so would probably go down the personal finance route. Any advice, experiences (good or bad) or recommendations would be welcome. Cheers :thumbup:

Certainly the modern way.

We lease from audi currently.

Last car was an a3 sport back.  Cost 24.5k new. To my spec. Less that 4 years later was worth about 9.5k in part ex.

That's basically 15k plus running costs down the drain in 3 and a half years. So we put 4.5k down on an a1 sport back. And took a 5k cheque back off audi and pay monthly for this one. The 5k more than covers the 1st 2 years of payments.

My mate has been a salesman for about 16 years now in the motor trade and even he says with deprecation it's just not really worth buying a car anymore unless you are the sort of person that will keep it for about 15 years and run it into the ground before you change.

I have also leased of ford and so far found both companies very easy to deal with.  I had to return my ford earlier and although I probably got stung a little.  The dealer was more than happy to take the car back after 12 months or so and settle the finance bill.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

Leased a Subaru a while back. No money down and dirt cheap monthly payment. Everything is under warranty which is always a good feeling. I ended up buying it out once the lease was up, and then a year later traded it in and the value had held well enough that I made 2k over what i owed on it.

1 hour ago, filbertstreet said:

anyone got a 718 boxster? torn between that or a lotus evora

All down to personal taste.  Both good cars but the Evora is slightly more hardcore ...    so its how you want to drive it.   Thrashing around B roads .. Lotus.  More general driving ...   Porsche.

Drive them both back to back and the decision will be made pretty quickly ...    either way you will be happy I'm sure.

Git abit Leary at Xmas saying to the Mrs that if City win the league ID buy her a new car especially as its her 40th  too.

Only said in in Dec and Jan a few times and defo shut my mouth in April/May!!!

BUT she reminded me about it firstly on the parade day and never let me forget.. Tried to get out of it....just bought a Renault Captur.

Actually it's a really nice car even though it's only 900cc!!! Yes 900cc!!! LOL!

Thought you were going to say Dacia there!

I am mostly more of a buy a top class 3-5 year old car with decent mileage and enjoy something I wouldn't buy new.  Which is why the family car is a Land Rover Discovery 4 HSE, and I am driving a Audi A6 Quatro Avant 2.7.  New would have been about £85k, I spent £35k.  I am thinking about something really efficient now I am driving 60 miles round trip to work a day.

9 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

I guess you have kids? I prefer the 3 door as has a more "sporty" look. I can do you a good deal ;) 

I've got one on the way, so looking for a 5 door. 

Me & the Mrs both have 3 doors she's got a mini & I've got a 3 series coupe so one needs to be changed. Like you I think 3 doors do look more sporty. 

43 minutes ago, AoWW said:

Safe to say, I've never driven a Nissan Juke. >_<

Did you have it written into your megabucks contract as a Mod that you must have your own private supply of >_< emoticons? Like the "riders" that rock superstars have for gigs?

They're no longer available to the rest of us plebs, are they?  :whistle:

1 minute ago, Alf Bentley said:

Did you have it written into your megabucks contract as a Mod that you must have your own private supply of >_< emoticons? Like the "riders" that rock superstars have for gigs?

They're no longer available to the rest of us plebs, are they?  :whistle:

:yesyes:  :punk:

:dunno: 

:giggle: 

:innocent: 

Has anyone had any experience with voiding the warranty on their car through lack of servicing?  Apparently I was supposed to do it once a year/every 10k km (car's now 2 years old with just over 30k on the clock) and now I'm being told by the dealer that the vehicle's worthless in Belgium and I can't possibly sell it back to them nor repurchase the warranty even though it works as fine as rge day i bought it and he's willing to pass it on to an overseas vendor (I think for the Asian market) for E3500 which is a pretty steep devaluation after just 2 years.  Is this normal practice or is he just being a bit of a dick?

2 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

Has anyone had any experience with voiding the warranty on their car through lack of servicing?  Apparently I was supposed to do it once a year/every 10k km (car's now 2 years old with just over 30k on the clock) and now I'm being told by the dealer that the vehicle's worthless in Belgium and I can't possibly sell it back to them nor repurchase the warranty even though it works as fine as rge day i bought it and he's willing to pass it on to an overseas vendor (I think for the Asian market) for E3500 which is a pretty steep devaluation after just 2 years.  Is this normal practice or is he just being a bit of a dick?

2 year old car worth €3500?  What the hell is it?

Sure you could sell a car privately without a warranty for a little less than normal value.  They run out eventually.

Edited by Jon the Hat