Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

The Car thread

24 minutes ago, Manini said:

Could consider an auto, I know loads of people who have said you’ll never go back to manual after having an automatic so it’s good to know that. 

Yeah gotta say that’s my experience. Last two cars have been autos and I’d never go back to a manual. But I am getting old so the less things to think about when driving the better :D

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Otis said:

Go for the DSG box, in either the Audi ,Seat or VW absolutely brilliant.

Yeah see I like both Seat and VW but the insurance for one of the above is very similar to one of the German big three where I live because of the consoles in the cockpit, they get nicked quite frequently (class is Bradford honestly) nothing to do with the spec of the car or anything, so it just makes me think I’d rather pay the extra for the actual car. I’ve always liked Audi’s but always thought they were pricey compared to both Merc and BMW but I’ve just had a quick look and it’s fairly comparable. 

9 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Yeah gotta say that’s my experience. Last two cars have been autos and I’d never go back to a manual. But I am getting old so the less things to think about when driving the better :D

I’m a lazy bastard too mate! 

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

All down to budget and what year you're looking at.

The new A Class is a massive improvement on the previous shape. The drive is so much better and the digital cockpit with the double screens looks awesome. 

The older shape has what looks like a tablet stuck in the middle of the dash as an afterthought. However, youre more likely to get a reversing cam than you are in the BMW or the Audi.

I know what you mean about the tablet. People always say that BMW is the ultimate driving experience and I do quite like the more boxed shape of the 1-series so I need to just go and have a chat with the dealers and see what they can do 

• Like 1

On 24/06/2020 at 09:25, masterg59 said:

Mate of mine has got a ring doorbell, captures everything.

EZVIZ are better, they are made by HikVision and dont require a permanent internet feed to capture everything. Also if you ever have a hardwired CCTV system or already have one, it can be added to the DVR/NVR if compatible.

6 minutes ago, Strokes said:

EZVIZ are better, they are made by HikVision and dont require a permanent internet feed to capture everything. Also if you ever have a hardwired CCTV system or already have one, it can be added to the DVR/NVR if compatible.

Fvck sakes your post has just reminded of the job you do. I’ve not long forked out for a ring doorbell and rear security light camera. Are these EZVIZ more expensive?

15 minutes ago, Manini said:

I know what you mean about the tablet. People always say that BMW is the ultimate driving experience and I do quite like the more boxed shape of the 1-series so I need to just go and have a chat with the dealers and see what they can do 

I'm work at a used car supermarket in Northampton and could probably arrange a drive in all 3 lol

Difficult at the minute, lack of cars and we've just been bought out by Cazoo.

31 minutes ago, stix said:

Fvck sakes your post has just reminded of the job you do. I’ve not long forked out for a ring doorbell and rear security light camera. Are these EZVIZ more expensive?

The security light EZVIZ do is also better for the same reasons 🙈

37 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

I'm work at a used car supermarket in Northampton and could probably arrange a drive in all 3 lol

Difficult at the minute, lack of cars and we've just been bought out by Cazoo.

In your experience what do you sell most of out of interest? Bm, merc or Audi? And is it true that you pay through the nose if anything goes wrong with a Beamer? 

8 minutes ago, Manini said:

In your experience what do you sell most of out of interest? Bm, merc or Audi? And is it true that you pay through the nose if anything goes wrong with a Beamer? 

Definitely sell more BMW's, followed by the Mercedes.

In my opinion, the 1 series is a happy medium between the drive of the Audi and the interior of the Merc.

My Mrs has had a 16 plate 118d for almost a year. Only thing we've had to do is £120 for 4 brake pads.

If you service them, the diesel engines practically run forever. Seen a few traded in with almost 200k on the clock!

As for parts cost, not really my area, im sure others could advise on that.

2 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

Definitely sell more BMW's, followed by the Mercedes.

In my opinion, the 1 series is a happy medium between the drive of the Audi and the interior of the Merc.

My Mrs has had a 16 plate 118d for almost a year. Only thing we've had to do is £120 for 4 brake pads.

If you service them, the diesel engines practically run forever. Seen a few traded in with almost 200k on the clock!

As for parts cost, not really my area, im sure others could advise on that.

Mad that isn’t it. My Mrs always turns her nose up when I show her cars with 60+ on but I’ve always found good German motors tend to just run and run. 

Thanks for your advice mate I appreciate it. I like to think I know a bit about cars but it’s always better to get an idea from somebody in the industry! 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Manini said:

Mad that isn’t it. My Mrs always turns her nose up when I show her cars with 60+ on but I’ve always found good German motors tend to just run and run. 

Thanks for your advice mate I appreciate it. I like to think I know a bit about cars but it’s always better to get an idea from somebody in the industry! 

Always happy to help if I can.

We aren't working off commission anymore, the role has changed massively since Covid.

Always a good feeling and job satisfaction when you find someone a motor that they absolutely love and will have for the next few years.

We're not all slimey bastards lol

Edited by tom27111

7 hours ago, Manini said:

Lovely looking cars though, F-pace. I’d take one of those over a RR I think. 

A-Class or 1-Series, much difference? Both on my radar at the minute and similar prices but I didn’t know if one was a standout if anybody has ever had one or the other? 

A45 AMG or M135i/M140i I hope:whistle:

I like 1 series personally. I really want an M135i but need to buy my house first before spunking 10k on a car. I like the Seat Leon Cupras too, the 280/290/300 versions. Couple of lads I know have had them and they're pretty rapid.

On 21/07/2020 at 17:24, Fktf said:

The time is coming for me to buy a sensible family car... :( In about 5 weeks I'll have a new born and all the baby paraphernalia to cart around. 

The missus is desperate for an SUV - anyone got any recommendations? 

I'm in the same boat. I just bought a Fiat Tipo last week. Love it so far. 

Late 17 plate, 1.6 diesel, 8k miles for 9k. It rivals the Focus and Golf and much much cheaper. 

Huge boot space, up to 440L for the hatchback. 

28 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

A45 AMG or M135i/M140i I hope:whistle:

I like 1 series personally. I really want an M135i but need to buy my house first before spunking 10k on a car. I like the Seat Leon Cupras too, the 280/290/300 versions. Couple of lads I know have had them and they're pretty rapid.

Audi S3 is worth looking at too.

Drove one over to our service centre today. I obviously have to be responsible, especially considering our work insurance policy means I have to cover £2500 excess, but it was fun to drive.

24 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

Audi S3 is worth looking at too.

Drove one over to our service centre today. I obviously have to be responsible, especially considering our work insurance policy means I have to cover £2500 excess, but it was fun to drive.

Yeah S3 and Golf R are nice too, not keen on them due to all the thefts though. It's a pipe dream at the minute though, but I do like them.

8 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Yeah S3 and Golf R are nice too, not keen on them due to all the thefts though. It's a pipe dream at the minute though, but I do like them.

I think the Golf R is my realistically priced dream car.

Still out of my budget at the minute. 

But the noise it makes :wub:

The A45 would be close, but the ridiculously small gearstick puts me off it! 

Edited by tom27111

19 hours ago, Manini said:

Class thank you. Do like the look of the A3 to be honest. 

Could consider an auto, I know loads of people who have said you’ll never go back to manual after having an automatic so it’s good to know that. 

18 hours ago, Izzy said:

Me too, auto boxes have moved on so much in recent years, people who say you lose some of the driving experience have probably never driven one, or if they have it was many years ago 

5 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

Me too, auto boxes have moved on so much in recent years, people who say you lose some of the driving experience have probably never driven one, or if they have it was many years ago 

I do kinda miss throwing my old manual hot hatches round bends and doing 100 in 3rd gear but these days I'm just happy if I get home in one piece :rolleyes: 

On 23/07/2020 at 15:49, FoxesDeb said:

My only experience of an auto is a Mustang in the states in 2013.

Safe to say when you're trying to see how fast you can get to 100 on the highway in a rental, an automatic is a little bit annoying lol

On 18/07/2020 at 13:57, The Bear said:

I love small powerful cars. Or hot hatches as they used to be called. 

I have owned a 306 Diesel Turbo, a ClioSport 172, and now have an Audi A1 that has 200bhp. The French cars unsurprisingly had poor build quality and reliability!

Never owned a VW though. 

Think Renault have come a long way in the last couple of years, the new megane looks beaut, that beaut i think it might be my next car, 

32 minutes ago, ajthefox said:

My only experience of an auto is a Mustang in the states in 2013.

Safe to say when you're trying to see how fast you can get to 100 on the highway in a rental, an automatic is a little bit annoying lol

They've moved on since that then!

I've had a few 5 litre Mustangs through work, they are an absolute beast. 

The petrol gauge shows half full, the on board computer says "Range: 50 miles" lol

One of the most ridiculous cars I've even driven.