Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

The Car thread

8 hours ago, South Shire Fox said:

Anyone on here got/had a Fiesta ST  Mk7/8 or a Golf Gti? In the process of looking for a new car and have narrowed it down but cant decide so just looking for opinions? Thanks. 

You'd likely enjoy both. Tax/insurance/fuel contribute to running costs and both can be a bit chewy on the tyres (but you'd expect that).... and you do want decent tyres on them.

Plenty of good examples around as well, as its not always ignorant boy racers thrashing them and even boy racers get a bit of bad press as many are enthusiasts who love their cars.

My advice would be try to find an unmodded one and just make sure you test drive it (paying attention to the clutch!)

23 hours ago, South Shire Fox said:

Anyone on here got/had a Fiesta ST  Mk7/8 or a Golf Gti? In the process of looking for a new car and have narrowed it down but cant decide so just looking for opinions? Thanks. 

I’ve had a couple of Fiesta ST’s with the latest being the MK 7 and I’ve also had a Golf GTI until it was stolen from my driveway 4 months ago.

Honestly if the choice is between these two then hands down 100% the GTI. Loved mine, leather seats, upgraded alloys, blacked out windows and probably the nicest colour car I’ve seen IMO. Drove like an animal and the finish on the interior was great.

Also loved my ST but they are cars in different leagues. The ST is the one to buy if you want a nice sporty car that is like shit off a shovel and aren’t too bothered about the interior being luxury. Don’t get me wrong it’s not bad but get in a decent golf and and ST and you will see what I mean.

Obviously the pricing new is about 10k different so it’s a case of weighing up whether you want to make compromises or not but if you can afford it go with the GTI.

The one downside to the Golf is the fuel consumption. I’d sit there watching the MPG average and do what I could to keep it as high as possible which doesn’t seem right lol

Can you tell I miss it? 

Edited by Costock_Fox

On 15/06/2020 at 10:07, South Shire Fox said:

Makes you furious working your bollucks off to get a nice motor for some low life **** to come along with his 200 pound hacking kit off Ebay and take it away from you. 

One of the reasons I drive a dull (but reliable/comfortable) car, less likely to be targeted.

To be fair, cars don't excite like they do most blokes.

On 15/06/2020 at 10:07, South Shire Fox said:

Yeah I heard Birmingham is really bad as well. Makes you furious working your bollucks off to get a nice motor for some low life **** to come along with his 200 pound hacking kit off Ebay and take it away from you. 

Even worst when they smash your side door window and climb in your house all while you are asleep upstairs. It’s caused me a few sleepless nights thinking about that.

On 16/07/2020 at 23:42, South Shire Fox said:

I work for a large used car supermarket. 

Not one of the ones with a shite reputation lol

Anyway...

You shouldn't even mention those cars together in the same sentence. 

Hands down a Golf GTI, superior everything...build quality, engine, gearbox, reliability, comfort...

Not sure why you'd compare the Fiesta to the Golf?

The Focus is comparable to the Golf, still, the VW is hands down the better car.

The Fiesta ST is in the same category as the Polo GTI. Again, the VW kills it.

I had a 67 plate Polo GTI as a demo car for a few weeks. 192bhp in a car that small is quite frankly, scary lol

I drive an insane amount of cars in my job and my personal favourites, from anything that can range in price from 5k to 80k, is the Polo GTI and the Golf R. 

Just so much fun to drive.

Following on from that...

Completely shameless plug, if anyone is looking for something and has anything in mind, drop me a PM.

I'm not making any commission at the minute, our whole sales process has changed due to covid.

4 of us running a showroom that can hold 400 cars and access to 1000's of others at our other branches.

I'll do my best to get you a good deal.

• Like 1

I love small powerful cars. Or hot hatches as they used to be called. 

I have owned a 306 Diesel Turbo, a ClioSport 172, and now have an Audi A1 that has 200bhp. The French cars unsurprisingly had poor build quality and reliability!

Never owned a VW though. 

On 18/07/2020 at 01:08, tom27111 said:

I work for a large used car supermarket. 

Not one of the ones with a shite reputation lol

Anyway...

You shouldn't even mention those cars together in the same sentence. 

Hands down a Golf GTI, superior everything...build quality, engine, gearbox, reliability, comfort...

Not sure why you'd compare the Fiesta to the Golf?

The Focus is comparable to the Golf, still, the VW is hands down the better car.

The Fiesta ST is in the same category as the Polo GTI. Again, the VW kills it.

I had a 67 plate Polo GTI as a demo car for a few weeks. 192bhp in a car that small is quite frankly, scary lol

I drive an insane amount of cars in my job and my personal favourites, from anything that can range in price from 5k to 80k, is the Polo GTI and the Golf R. 

Just so much fun to drive.

Wasnt comparing per say but was just two cars i fancied the look of 😂 thanks for the info though, appreciate it. Would love a golf R but unfortunately a little out the price range 😂. Have you driven the Fiesta St mk8? If so what was that like? 

Edited by South Shire Fox
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, South Shire Fox said:

Looks a beast! Did you buy another Gti as the replacement car? 

No, I haven’t replaced it at all at the minute as I’m working from home. I’d love another one but after seeing how many get stolen I doubt I would.

27 minutes ago, South Shire Fox said:

Wasnt comparing per say but was just two cars i fancied the look of 😂 thanks for the info though, appreciate it. Would love a golf R but unfortunately a little out the price range 😂. Have you driven the Fiesta St mk8? If so what was that like? 

Only driven one once, very briefly. 

They're quick, as you'd expect, but just don't have the comfort and quality of a Polo or Golf. 

They don't feel as solid or look as nice inside.

I know what you mean about the Golf R, I'd love one, but too pricey for me.

The Seat Leon Cupra might be worth a look too?

VW style quality at a bit more affordable price :thumbup:

42 minutes ago, South Shire Fox said:

Incidentally, I've handed back my company car (only allowed certain stock cars and the good ones sell pretty quickly, you get stuck in bad ones for months and have to drop your car off for appointments) and it's costing me a lot in tax.

I've been on the look out for either a Polo GTI or a Golf GTI/GTD, but a lot of the auctions are on reduced hours because of Covid and a lot of people have extended their car leases for an extra year, so there's a shortage of cars.

I get the option of buying a car we've taken in part exchange, once a year.

A guy traded in a 61 plate VW Scirocco 2.0 GT TSI over the weekend.

Absolute mint condition, 210bhp, top spec, leather seats, 50k on the clock.

It's older than I wanted, but at the price I can get it for, I'm so tempted! 

Several years ago i had a mk4 golf gt tdi which I loved, felt fast as ****, but I did have an n reg 1.4 petrol fiesta before that. It was absolutely mint inside and out, seriously like brand new. Unfortunately got rid of it a couple of years ago because the camshaft went and it would've cost a fortune to sort out, sold it to a mechanic in Derby who still has it on the road to this day. Do they still make the gt tdi? How do they compare to a gti? My dad had a mk4 golf gti (non turbo) at the same time and mine was considerably faster. Absolutely lovely cars. Got an old a3 now which i love despite being a bit of a money pit.

13 hours ago, tom27111 said:

Incidentally, I've handed back my company car (only allowed certain stock cars and the good ones sell pretty quickly, you get stuck in bad ones for months and have to drop your car off for appointments) and it's costing me a lot in tax.

I've been on the look out for either a Polo GTI or a Golf GTI/GTD, but a lot of the auctions are on reduced hours because of Covid and a lot of people have extended their car leases for an extra year, so there's a shortage of cars.

I get the option of buying a car we've taken in part exchange, once a year.

A guy traded in a 61 plate VW Scirocco 2.0 GT TSI over the weekend.

Absolute mint condition, 210bhp, top spec, leather seats, 50k on the clock.

It's older than I wanted, but at the price I can get it for, I'm so tempted! 

You honestly won't regret the Scirocco mate, had my TDi DSG just over a year and don't think I could own a better car.  Mine came with everything ticked from factory, dynaudio, pan roof, heated leathers, cruise etc and it feels so much more premium than the price tag 

IMG_20200717_165449_565.jpg

• Thanks 1

My insurance is up for renewal tomorrow.

Absolutely bonkers some of the premiums being offered. I'm a 32 year old with 9 years no claims (admittedly my car is high-powered) and my current company tried to get me to auto-renew at £1,400... Nearly double what I paid them this time last year.

A quick bash on a price comparison site and I can get it for just over £500. 

Seems nonsensical why companies price themselves out of potential business.

13 minutes ago, RoboFox said:

My insurance is up for renewal tomorrow.

Absolutely bonkers some of the premiums being offered. I'm a 32 year old with 9 years no claims (admittedly my car is high-powered) and my current company tried to get me to auto-renew at £1,400... Nearly double what I paid them this time last year.

A quick bash on a price comparison site and I can get it for just over £500. 

Seems nonsensical why companies price themselves out of potential business.

Ive moved house in the last month so had to change my address on my insurance, I’ve moved to an area with less crime, less social housing with my own driveway(lived in a flat with a shared residential unsecure car park before) and they bumped my premium up by £25 a month for the rest of the year! So gone from £43 to £68. 

Ridiculous, and as far as I’m aware they’ve pretty much got me by the bollocks unless I pay my way out of it. 

Edited by stix

On 18/07/2020 at 13:57, The Bear said:

I love small powerful cars. Or hot hatches as they used to be called. 

I have owned a 306 Diesel Turbo, a ClioSport 172, and now have an Audi A1 that has 200bhp. The French cars unsurprisingly had poor build quality and reliability!

Never owned a VW though. 

ClioSports are unreal. I've had an 182 for 3 years now, they absolutely fly and are so much fun to drive. No gadgets though, and they're so basic (I've got the full spec one and it's only got electric mirrors and climate control). Been tempted to get an upgrade lately, maybe a Fiesta ST as I've been driving work vans throughout COVID and they're such a nicer place to sit in.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JR99 said:

You honestly won't regret the Scirocco mate, had my TDi DSG just over a year and don't think I could own a better car.  Mine came with everything ticked from factory, dynaudio, pan roof, heated leathers, cruise etc and it feels so much more premium than the price tag 

IMG_20200717_165449_565.jpg

This is the one I'm looking at. Pre-facelift, but can pick it up for less than half the price of a 66 plate GTD with similar miles.

Screenshot_20200718-194153_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

This is the one I'm looking at. Pre-facelift, but can pick it up for less than half the price of a 66 plate GTD with similar miles.

Screenshot_20200718-194153_Chrome.jpg

With it being a pfl TSi there's one key part you need to check. Its chain driven and the tensioner is a known fault, check you have the revised tensioner with proof or budget circa 1k to have the work done as the original part can let go at any point and have been known to fail at as little as 40k miles, taking your whole engine out 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, JR99 said:

With it being a pfl TSi there's one key part you need to check. Its chain driven and the tensioner is a known fault, check you have the revised tensioner with proof or budget circa 1k to have the work done as the original part can let go at any point and have been known to fail at as little as 40k miles, taking your whole engine out 

Thanks, I'm having it sent to our prep centre to have the once over as if were a normal retail car for us.

I'll also get our in house mechanics to check that specifically :thumbup: