Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

The Car thread

19 hours ago, Manini said:

I only ask because I was speaking to a copper once and he basically told me Bradford was the stolen car capital of the UK, some ridiculous number of stolen cars end up passing through the estates in Bradford at some point, loads of chop shops too apparently where they switch all the plates and stuff, pretty mad!  

Somebody I know got their actual stolen car back but traded it in a week later they said they didn’t want it knowing somebody had nicked it and been driving about in it.

Yeah I heard Birmingham is really bad as well. Makes you furious working your bollucks off to get a nice motor for some low life **** to come along with his 200 pound hacking kit off Ebay and take it away from you. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks, looking for a bit of advice. 

In March I got back to my car to find it had been dented / scratched in two different places. There were scaffolders working next door at the time (we live in a terrace, on-street parking) and although we couldn't prove it, we thought they were responsible.

A couple of weeks ago, I found that the reflector at the rear base of the bumper had been smashed. Again, unfortunately as we were barely using the car at the time due to the lockdown, I couldn't pinpoint when or how it had happened.

Then this morning, ironically whilst getting a quote for the original damage, I realised that the side of the car had quite obviously been keyed, with three arcing scratches all along the lower half of one side of the car.

Obvs. two options here: 1) Someone is targeting the car 2) I've been very unlucky and / or the area I live in is full of scumbags. 

Does anyone have any advice on the best course of action? Do I report to 101 and get a crime number with the intention of claiming on the insurance? Or do I just pay to have the damage repaired privately (had quotes ranging from £450-£1600)

34 minutes ago, RoboFox said:

In March I got back to my car to find it had been dented / scratched in two different places. There were scaffolders working next door at the time (we live in a terrace, on-street parking) and although we couldn't prove it, we thought they were responsible.

A couple of weeks ago, I found that the reflector at the rear base of the bumper had been smashed. Again, unfortunately as we were barely using the car at the time due to the lockdown, I couldn't pinpoint when or how it had happened.

Then this morning, ironically whilst getting a quote for the original damage, I realised that the side of the car had quite obviously been keyed, with three arcing scratches all along the lower half of one side of the car.

Obvs. two options here: 1) Someone is targeting the car 2) I've been very unlucky and / or the area I live in is full of scumbags. 

Does anyone have any advice on the best course of action? Do I report to 101 and get a crime number with the intention of claiming on the insurance? Or do I just pay to have the damage repaired privately (had quotes ranging from £450-£1600)

Try and get some recording device on the car and see if you been pinpoint the people doing it. 

Once you've caught them you can either report them to the authorities or take your vengeance as you see fit. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RoboFox said:

One thing to weigh up is the cost of getting it repaired yourself vs the increase in insurance premiums for a while if you claim. I'm in the mindset of never claiming for anything unless I absolutely have to. I had someone run into the back of me once, they only cracked the light and I sorted it myself. When I bought my car it was already keyed down one side, I just left it and don't notice it anymore. In terms of future, there are some dashcams with motion/movement detection which may be worth looking at? I can't say first hand how good they are as I've never had one with those features.

I just got the aircon on my a3 regassed and its make **** all difference, still as shit as ever. Wonderful in this weather.

Edited by Kopic

3 hours ago, The Bear said:

Just on top of that, those Dashcams with movement sensors have to be hardwired to a 12v line to the battery. You'd need to get someone to fit it. Plus they take up loads more room on the me ory card because they get triggered quite often. 

You tube will show you how to fit one.

I wouldn't claim on insurance for a scratch, you'll pay more doing it that way.

Can you feel the scratch with a nail? If not, you might be able to buff it out.

You might be better getting CCTV installed at home and pointing it at the car. You can then quite cheap and put it in the window pointing at your car.

Edited by simFox

On 23/06/2020 at 21:10, The Bear said:

Just on top of that, those Dashcams with movement sensors have to be hardwired to a 12v line to the battery. You'd need to get someone to fit it. Plus they take up loads more room on the me ory card because they get triggered quite often. 

Halfords fitted mine for £30. I'm told that a competent DIY'er could manage it (so that counts me out). Mine does get triggered often when parked on a busy road just by cars going past. Also everytime you open or close the door/boot. I try to remember to format the memory card every month if no incidents have taken place. 

• Like 1

On 23/06/2020 at 16:19, Kopic said:

I just got the aircon on my a3 regassed and its make **** all difference, still as shit as ever. Wonderful in this weather.

When I had mine done last year the difference was unbelievable. Prior to being regassed it would just pump out warm air, but it was ice cold on the same settings after it was done. Sure there's not a heater resistor or something that's broke? When mine went a couple of years ago it would only blow out cold air though, the temperature wouldn't change at all.

Edited by Leicester_Loyal

I've never regassed an air con in my life. I've never had it pumping warm air though, just cool not cold. 

I did actually regas one myself with one of those cannisters from Halfords. It didn't work so I stuck it back in the packaging and got my money back as unused! 

7 hours ago, The Bear said:

I've never regassed an air con in my life. I've never had it pumping warm air though, just cool not cold. 

I did actually regas one myself with one of those cannisters from Halfords. It didn't work so I stuck it back in the packaging and got my money back as unused! 

You are Donald Trump and i claim my $5

7 hours ago, The Bear said:

I went to get mine re-gassed but they told me there was a split in it and the whole air-con system needed replacing. Was quoted nearly a grand and the car is only worth about two grand so I just put up with sweating my nuts off for the three weeks a year when it's actually hot in this country. The rest of the year I don't really need it.

9 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

When I had mine done last year the difference was unbelievable. Prior to being regassed it would just pump out warm air, but it was ice cold on the same settings after it was done. Sure there's not a heater resistor or something that's broke? When mine went a couple of years ago it would only blow out cold air though, the temperature wouldn't change at all.

Not too sure what it is tbh. It blows hot for a bit, about 5 mins of driving, i think maybe until the engine reaches correct temperature, then I get a noticeable aircon smell and it starts blowing cool, not cold, air - exactly the same since I had it regassed and the gas was at 30% before. Really annoying.

On 23/06/2020 at 21:10, The Bear said:

Halfords do fitting.  The memory card isn't an issue as the cameras overwrite the oldest recording. My Nextbase has a button on the side to press if you want to protect the current recording from that.

4 hours ago, Izzy said:

I went to get mine re-gassed but they told me there was a split in it and the whole air-con system needed replacing. Was quoted nearly a grand and the car is only worth about two grand so I just put up with sweating my nuts off for the three weeks a year when it's actually hot in this country. The rest of the year I don't really need it.

Yup its expensive for sure. Its a few parts (at leadt on my honda) and add up quick. Spent  about $800 CAD or so but here in Canada its hot all summer. Last week and even a week or so befote that we were in the 32 feels like 41 celsius weather and summer hadn't even begun yet. Will be this way essentially till mid september or so. Cant handle swass for that long lol

Edited by Jattdogg
  • Haha 1

Anyone know much about diesel engines? My 2007 a3 has a 2.0 tdi dsg engine, noticed when I got it regassed yesterday with the bonnet up it was shaking a lot in idle and a slight tapping sound. I've also noticed for about 2 years inside the car it shaking in idle, but only in neutral, if im in drive with my foot on the brake its fine. I'm now guessing that the car shaking is the engine moving. Absolutely nothing else noticeable, still drives perfect, no loss of power etc. All fluids are fine. I posted on an audi forum yesterday but not had a response so I thought I'd try here.

7 hours ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Anyone after air con re gassing there's a very good deal with ATS Euro master on Groupon at the moment.

Has anyone had luck lowering their insurance premium from doing less miles due to Covid?

I got refund of £25 from Admiral, which was nice. 

W

6 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

Halfords do fitting.  The memory card isn't an issue as the cameras overwrite the oldest recording. My Nextbase has a button on the side to press if you want to protect the current recording from that.

Same as mine then. The movement recordings potentially give you a lot less space to work with and stuff will get overwritten a lot quicker. 

I'd pay the little bit extra and go 128gb instead of 64gb, including the higher class cards which are designed for lots of read/write cycles. 

Edited by The Bear

5 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

Are you sure it overwrites the footage that gets recorded after being triggered whilst stationary? Mines Nextbase and I think it locks it in until its either deleted or the card is reformated (as recommended). 

• 3 weeks later...