Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

The Car thread

5 hours ago, JR99 said:

You honestly won't regret the Scirocco mate, had my TDi DSG just over a year and don't think I could own a better car.  Mine came with everything ticked from factory, dynaudio, pan roof, heated leathers, cruise etc and it feels so much more premium than the price tag 

IMG_20200717_165449_565.jpg

They're nice cars but that splitter is ridiculous! 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, The Bear said:

They're nice cars but that splitter is ridiculous! 

Certainly not the loudest rocco I know of, when I show mine there's always someone going that little bit extra 😂

Guest Fktf

The time is coming for me to buy a sensible family car... :( In about 5 weeks I'll have a new born and all the baby paraphernalia to cart around. 

The missus is desperate for an SUV - anyone got any recommendations? 

3 minutes ago, Fktf said:

The time is coming for me to buy a sensible family car... :( In about 5 weeks I'll have a new born and all the baby paraphernalia to cart around. 

You get a lot of car for your money with a Sportage.

Depends on budget.

Don't be fooled by the badge and go for an Evoque, it'll spend half its time with a mechanic.

5 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

ClioSports are unreal. I've had an 182 for 3 years now, they absolutely fly and are so much fun to drive. No gadgets though, and they're so basic (I've got the full spec one and it's only got electric mirrors and climate control). Been tempted to get an upgrade lately, maybe a Fiesta ST as I've been driving work vans throughout COVID and they're such a nicer place to sit in.

Managed to find a picture of my old 172. I fitted some FK Coilovers myself and slammed it as low as it would go at the back (with the adjuster ring off as well). Think it was something stupid drop like 70mm at the back, 45mm at the front. I had to take the front arch liners out to stop it rubbing! It handled like a go kart though.

coils6.jpg

Edited by The Bear
  • Like 2

Guest Fktf
58 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

Depends on budget.

Don't be fooled by the badge and go for an Evoque, it'll spend half its time with a mechanic.

Cost of suvs has surprised me a little, so I'm certainly having to look for value rather than a premium marque. Guess the kids will only trash it anyway!

So certainly thinking Kia, Hyundai, Honda, Toyota rather than Volvo, Audi, BMW, Land rover... 

1 minute ago, Fktf said:

Cost of suvs has surprised me a little, so I'm certainly having to look for value rather than a premium marque. Guess the kids will only trash it anyway!

So certainly thinking Kia, Hyundai, Honda, Toyota rather than Volvo, Audi, BMW, Land rover... 

I had a base model Hyundai Tucson on hire when my car was in for repair. 

Please don’t get one. I don’t know about the top engine spec one, but the one I had could have been pushed to 60 faster. 

5 minutes ago, stix said:

Please don’t get one. I don’t know about the top engine spec one, but the one I had could have been pushed to 60 faster. 

They're not quick, but like me, they're designed for comfort, not speed lol

The Kia's and the Nissan Qashqai are decent.

If you go down the Kia route, you get the benefit of the 7 year warranty as well, even if you buy used.

Guest Fktf
4 hours ago, stix said:

Useful that, thanks. That's top of my missus' 'what looks good' list, so good to know to avoid it.

After I buy my house, I am budgeting towards for an Audi TT I have a VW Golf right now and it’s a lovely car great engine, but Audi TT 2015 reg upwards for me is such an aesthetically pleasing car, anybody else have one? And their driving experience?

7 hours ago, Fktf said:

Useful that, thanks. That's top of my missus' 'what looks good' list, so good to know to avoid it.

I suppose it depends on what the car will be used for. I have to use motorways to get to work daily, and it just didn’t cut it. As a daily driver around town it would probably be sufficient, I just didn’t feel that safe in it driving on the motorway. 

Like I said though, there are a couple of different engine specs so they may be a more capable car. 

Best thing to do when things start to return to a more normal environment regarding car showrooms is to book a few test drives in the ones that have made your shortlist. 

15 hours ago, tom27111 said:

Depends on budget.

We've got a Volvo XC40 which is a tidy piece of kit.  Plenty of space, comfortable and feels premium. 

13 hours ago, Happy Fox said:

After I buy my house, I am budgeting towards for an Audi TT I have a VW Golf right now and it’s a lovely car great engine, but Audi TT 2015 reg upwards for me is such an aesthetically pleasing car, anybody else have one? And their driving experience?

I have a 2.0 TFSI TTS Quattro Roadster with the S-Tronic gearbox. It's a late-model MK2, rather than the current-style MK3 so there will be some major differences, but I understand there are also similarities. I personally prefer the slightly more daft "S" models over the standard TT which are not sluggish by any stretch, but just lack that extra "umph", but also didn't fancy living with the outrageous TTRS. 

It's just great fun. Super responsive, sounds absolutely wonderful and it's nice to know you can out accelerate 95% of the cars on the road. Ride is stiff, but it's a sports car so to be expected. Fuel usage vs performance is very reasonable too. I think I average about 35mpg.

It's pretty impractical, mind. The boot is bigger than you'd expect but still pretty small. Shopping is sometimes a bit of a struggle. :D

10 minutes ago, RoboFox said:

I have a 2.0 TFSI TTS Quattro Roadster with the S-Tronic gearbox. It's a late-model MK2, rather than the current-style MK3 so there will be some major differences, but I understand there are also similarities. I personally prefer the slightly more daft "S" models over the standard TT which are not sluggish by any stretch, but just lack that extra "umph", but also didn't fancy living with the outrageous TTRS. 

It's just great fun. Super responsive, sounds absolutely wonderful and it's nice to know you can out accelerate 95% of the cars on the road. Ride is stiff, but it's a sports car so to be expected. Fuel usage vs performance is very reasonable too. I think I average about 35mpg.

It's pretty impractical, mind. The boot is bigger than you'd expect but still pretty small. Shopping is sometimes a bit of a struggle. :D

The TTS must look good when you drive to your jobs as a hairdresser?:ph34r:

The TTRS is fantastic and absolutely insane. 0-60 in 3.5 seconds in a small Audilol They look very easy on the eye too, great car.

Edited by Leicester_Loyal
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

The TTS must look good when you drive to your jobs as a hairdresser?:ph34r:

The TTRS is fantastic and absolutely insane. 0-60 in 3.5 seconds in a small Audilol They look very easy on the eye too, great car.

You stick to meeting the other Burberry-clad 17 year olds over at Thurmaston McDonalds in your Clio 182, and let us talk about the real stuff, eh? :ph34r:

P.S. I also run a mobile service, so gimme a shout if you want a trim. 

Edited by RoboFox
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Fathead1981 said:

Trading my company car in for a fully electric one as our car scheme has changed, am getting a Jaguar Ipace despite not having anywhere to charge it! Anyone had exprience of them in terms of driving and expected mileage on a battery life? chers

No but I had an Jag F-pace for a few weeks as a courtesy car and the sports seats gave me shoulder pain.  So sit is it for a while a make sure it is comfortable, especially if you are tall.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jon the Hat said:

No but I had an Jag F-pace for a few weeks as a courtesy car and the sports seats gave me shoulder pain.  So sit is it for a while a make sure it is comfortable, especially if you are tall.

Lovely looking cars though, F-pace. I’d take one of those over a RR I think. 

A-Class or 1-Series, much difference? Both on my radar at the minute and similar prices but I didn’t know if one was a standout if anybody has ever had one or the other? 

22 hours ago, Fktf said:

Been looking into them extensively. Skoda Karoq is a lot of car for the money, real bargain. Seat Ateca if you can't face owning a Skoda. Ford Puma if you want a smaller, more agile one. Peugeot 3008 if you want cutting edge looks. Range Rover Evoque or one of the Volvos or maybe a Jag if you want more premium.

Edited by Bryn

4 hours ago, Manini said:

Lovely looking cars though, F-pace. I’d take one of those over a RR I think. 

A-Class or 1-Series, much difference? Both on my radar at the minute and similar prices but I didn’t know if one was a standout if anybody has ever had one or the other? 

As long as you don't go for the Merc A180. It's a Renault engine.

Merc nicer inside, BMW the better drive.

If you add an Audi A3 into the mix, theyre an even better drive, but basic inside.

Edit: If you're looking for an auto, definitely the BMW. That gearbox is the best on the market

Edited by tom27111
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

As long as you don't go for the Merc A180. It's a Renault engine.

Merc nicer inside, BMW the better drive.

If you add an Audi A3 into the mix, theyre an even better drive, but basic inside.

Edit: If you're looking for an auto, definitely the BMW. That gearbox is the best on the market

Class thank you. Do like the look of the A3 to be honest. 

Could consider an auto, I know loads of people who have said you’ll never go back to manual after having an automatic so it’s good to know that. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Manini said:

Could consider an auto, I know loads of people who have said you’ll never go back to manual after having an automatic so it’s good to know that. 

Go for the DSG box, in either the Audi ,Seat or VW absolutely brilliant.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Manini said:

All down to budget and what year you're looking at.

The new A Class is a massive improvement on the previous shape. The drive is so much better and the digital cockpit with the double screens looks awesome. 

The older shape has what looks like a tablet stuck in the middle of the dash as an afterthought. However, youre more likely to get a reversing cam than you are in the BMW or the Audi.