Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bluefoxtim

Houses

On 09/09/2021 at 10:38, FoxesDeb said:

That's a great situation to be in. I had a quick browse on Sykes Cottages, and some of the prices are eye watering! 

We made the move abroad in December last year and we haven't looked back. There were lots of deciding factors for us, the main one being we could never have afforded the equivalent property in the UK. Also our lifestyle is much better, more relaxed and laid back. The weather is fab for most of the year and the sunshine definitely helps my mood. Virtually everything is cheaper too, fuel, the supermarket shop and the quality is better too, so our money goes much further, and helps us afford a better lifestyle. 

Covid has shown us that there seems to be a vast difference between the way the UK population and the people here regard the welfare of each other, too. Over here people just seem to care more about other people, there's far less of the 'what about me' that seems so prevalent in the UK. 

Good luck with your decision! 

How brave were you making such a move during the pandemic!! It's a scary enough thing to do in normal times...

We've decided not to rent as a holiday let now. Had the valuation and it exeeded our expectations so we are going on the market. There is a lack of properties to buy here in Mid/North Wales, although we are viewing an old hotel (was a family estate) in the middle of nowhere this afternoon. It's not been run for years and needs extensive work but has 6 acres including two ponds and a woodland. We would have to reregister it for domestic use though and there might be a few hoops to jump through as it is grade 2 listed.

If it turns out to be a no go we are taking a year out in Cyprus to have some breathing space and explore options in France.

I might well be picking your brains in the future.

2 hours ago, Nod.E said:

After losing a buyer on our flat and then having to reapply for our mortgage after our new buyer couldn't move fast enough, we finally have a completion date of next Friday.

We first viewed the house 12th December 2020. lol

ours took a similar length of time.  Sold in June 2020... put a deposit on a new build in June 2020 (which was already completely built)  Lost our buyer in early December. the day before we were due to exchange, the chain collapsed.  Managed to re-sell just after boxing day and eventually moved in late February 2021.  Good luck with moving day!! ours was an unmitigated disaster, which i've just about blanked out in my memory now!

8 hours ago, Nod.E said:

After losing a buyer on our flat and then having to reapply for our mortgage after our new buyer couldn't move fast enough, we finally have a completion date of next Friday.

We first viewed the house 12th December 2020. lol

Me too , finally I have a moving date for next Friday 

I’ve been ranting and raving on here for six months but finally it’s happening in a week 

I’ve now got to get my arse into gear to get ready for the move day which I’m weirdly now nervous about. 
seems a weird process when you suddenly have about 4 hours to get everything out of your house. 

• Like 2

Does anyone know how quick it is to change the electric over ? 
we only got our moving date last week and the mrs is having a panic because we haven’t told the electric supplier we’re moving and having thoughts of sitting there with candles on the first night. 
we will be ringing first thing Monday 

42 minutes ago, grth2004 said:

Does anyone know how quick it is to change the electric over ? 
we only got our moving date last week and the mrs is having a panic because we haven’t told the electric supplier we’re moving and having thoughts of sitting there with candles on the first night. 
we will be ringing first thing Monday 

You don't take your electricity supply with you when you move, the new house will already have it's own supplier. Take meter readings both at the house you're leaving and the one you're moving in to, take photos of them too. 

Let your supplier for your current property know on the day, or the day after, that you've moved out. They'll take your final meter readings and bill you to them. Then when you've moved, find out who the supplier is and let them know too. If you want to switch you can do it after you've moved in. 

Same goes for the gas, too 😊

• Like 2

Finally, bit the bullet with our energy supplier, was going for the cop out option of a fixed with the supplier that came with the house, but they wanted to more than double the DD. Gone with Octopus, rates were good, and a mate had a £50 referral code. No exit fees either.

• Like 2

Just a reminder for anyone basing their energy provider on the monthly DD payment, this is only an estimate. You will still always pay for the energy you've used, whatever the monthly payments are estimated as. The rates and the standing charges are what you need to compare, not the projected monthly payment. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FoxesDeb said:

You don't take your electricity supply with you when you move, the new house will already have it's own supplier. Take meter readings both at the house you're leaving and the one you're moving in to, take photos of them too. 

Let your supplier for your current property know on the day, or the day after, that you've moved out. They'll take your final meter readings and bill you to them. Then when you've moved, find out who the supplier is and let them know too. If you want to switch you can do it after you've moved in. 

Same goes for the gas, too 😊

Ahh right thanks , yeah makes sense now  I thought you took it with you like the internet provider but this makes a lot of sense. 
saved some stress on a Sunday thanks 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

Just a reminder for anyone basing their energy provider on the monthly DD payment, this is only an estimate. You will still always pay for the energy you've used, whatever the monthly payments are estimated as. The rates and the standing charges are what you need to compare, not the projected monthly payment. 

Indeed.

Which is why I wasn't impressed by them doubling it based on the same figures they're currently using.  Especially as we've accumulated £150 of credit in 3 months. 

Another note of caution, 2 energy firms went bust this week with rumours of several more next week. 

13 minutes ago, grth2004 said:

All set for a Friday move 

So the system is we can’t move until the money is in our bank then it’s moved to our vendors. This could take hours and everyone sits there with there life in a van waiting ?

crazy system 

Yep…. It is!  I genuinely can’t believe it’s not instant 

I left the door ajar on the house I was leaving and told there removal guys that it was up to them…. All the money had already started flowing up the chain…

We had to wait outside the estate agent to get ours

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, grth2004 said:

All set for a Friday move 

So the system is we can’t move until the money is in our bank then it’s moved to our vendors. This could take hours and everyone sits there with there life in a van waiting ?

crazy system 

That's about the sum of it, yep.

It's 2-fold with the waiting, the CHAPS transfers can take an hour or two, and then you've got to wait on the Solicitor seeing it and calling you - amid the all other transfers/sales they're doing that day.

And you've got to wait for everyone to finish packing and actually get out before you can move in - the contracts usually state 12.30pm or 1pm, but problems do arise - our removal team were a man down, so we weren't out until 3.30pm. A previous house we bought, the removal van broke down, and the seller wasn't out until after 5pm.

Edited by FoyleFox
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Blackboots only said:

Can anyone recommend a local (I’m in Lutterworth) mortgage broker ?

Ideally a broker that has experience with arranging a mortgage with a bad credit history and complicated circumstances 
Cheers 

I’ve got one that charges £300 but it was worth it as I’m self employed and she got me through it with an amazing deal. She’s from Ashby , let me know if your interested and I’ll forward her number on

15 hours ago, Big Dave said:

How long are simple house purchases with a mortgage taking at present? 12 weeks? Or are they being a little quicker?

Unfortunately, it's still all a bit how long is a piece of string. Some Solicitors and mortgage lenders are quicker than others. There's still a lot of activity in the market so they're all still busy and you can't forecast what enquiries will arise. Completion times have improved in recent times and may continue to do so, it could be under 12 but may not be. And obviously each house purchase is different. Ours completed in around 12/14 weeks.