Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bluefoxtim

Houses

2 hours ago, Foxdiamond said:

Council housing was and should be again the backbone of housing in this country for those that cannot buy. The private sector should never have been expected to take over the role.

In theory I agree.  But council housing was never flexible enough to meet what people want.  You got a council house (hopefully), but with generally little choice about where or what sort, and you had to live there unless and until you could afford to move out.  Moving to a better area, or a house with a bigger or smaller garden, or onto a bus route, or nearer to your job, or all sorts of other reasons for a move - not practical.  

3 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

In theory I agree.  But council housing was never flexible enough to meet what people want.  You got a council house (hopefully), but with generally little choice about where or what sort, and you had to live there unless and until you could afford to move out.  Moving to a better area, or a house with a bigger or smaller garden, or onto a bus route, or nearer to your job, or all sorts of other reasons for a move - not practical.  

People could and did exchange. The situation was a lot better than it is now. The ITV report last night about no fault evictions was heartbreaking.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Lako42 said:

Delusional to think that you should be able to use your inheritance to increase your wealth before others can buy a place to live. 

There are other investment vehicles available to those fortunate enough to inherit wealth that don't profit from the misfortune (inability to buy something we apparently think everyone should have) of others. 

The fact you think what you have is injustice speaks volumes. 

Name one that returns more money than a house price increase?

1 hour ago, Foxdiamond said:

People could and did exchange. The situation was a lot better than it is now. The ITV report last night about no fault evictions was heartbreaking.

They could. but it wasn't easy.  You could never take a job twenty miles away and be safe in the knowledge that you would get a council house near the new job.  People already in council houses were bottom of the list for a move to another area, and there was seldom a surplus of houses in places that people wanted to live in.

4 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

They could. but it wasn't easy.  You could never take a job twenty miles away and be safe in the knowledge that you would get a council house near the new job.  People already in council houses were bottom of the list for a move to another area, and there was seldom a surplus of houses in places that people wanted to live in.

The current crisis is a result of too many council houses being sold off and now in private sector at far higher rents. Councils sending people to areas far away from their jobs and family support 

• Like 1

Just now, Lako42 said:

And there is the issue. Land price in this country is utterly ridiculous. 

Especially land with planning or land that has potential to get it. 

Do normal estate agents value land? As it goes I need to arrange for a valuation of some.

On 10/11/2023 at 21:55, Chiltern Fox said:

Evening all - thinking of replacing my fascias, soffits and guttering. Any idea on how much it'll cost for a typical 4 bed detached property? 

Thanks.

Probably thousands, double or triple it if you live in a nice area.

• 1 month later...

So I have been in my first home coming upto 3 years. And with Ashton now being 10 years old with additional needs we are at a crossroads.

So through the council we can get adaptations done to the house, namely a wet room, ramp to the front door and a thru-floor lift.

We had decided to not bother with the lift and go for the wet room and ramp. 

However if we decide to have the adaptations it would mean us staying in this home for 10 years, otherwise we would need to pay the council back for the adaptations, which is fair enough.

So now we are considering moving into a house that is more suitable. To avoid unnecessary adaptations. The real conundrum is whether to go for bungalow or have stairs.

So Ashtons mobility is very poor, currently he can manage the stairs as long as we are holding his hands. He is due hip surgery very soon and we hope his mobility will improve. But as you can imagine as he gets older and heavier then we will struggle to support him going up and down stairs as we also get older. 

So do we go for a bungalow, which will make it easier on all of us, however it then doesn't encourage him to learn to walk properly, as stairs are a really good way to learn balance and control etc. Or do we go for a house, which will continue to help Ashton learn to walk at the risk of difficulty as he gets to teens and adulthood. 

My head had always said it has to be a Bungalow. The more I think about it though the more I'm convinced getting a house, even a 3 storey house, will benefit him more.

In the 3 years my home has 100k equity so we are in a good place to upgrade. Just need to tally up the pros and cons

6 hours ago, kingcarr21 said:

So I have been in my first home coming upto 3 years. And with Ashton now being 10 years old with additional needs we are at a crossroads.

So through the council we can get adaptations done to the house, namely a wet room, ramp to the front door and a thru-floor lift.

However if we decide to have the adaptations it would mean us staying in this home for 10 years, otherwise we would need to pay the council back for the adaptations, which is fair enough.

So now we are considering moving into a house that is more suitable. To avoid unnecessary adaptations. The real conundrum is whether to go for bungalow or have stairs.

So Ashtons mobility is very poor, currently he can manage the stairs as long as we are holding his hands. He is due hip surgery very soon and we hope his mobility will improve. But as you can imagine as he gets older and heavier then we will struggle to support him going up and down stairs as we also get older. 

So do we go for a bungalow, which will make it easier on all of us, however it then doesn't encourage him to learn to walk properly, as stairs are a really good way to learn balance and control etc. Or do we go for a house, which will continue to help Ashton learn to walk at the risk of difficulty as he gets to teens and adulthood. 

My head had always said it has to be a Bungalow. The more I think about it though the more I'm convinced getting a house, even a 3 storey house, will benefit him more.

In the 3 years my home has 100k equity so we are in a good place to upgrade. Just need to tally up the pros and cons

Why not look for a bungalow that has had the roof converted. These typically have a 1/2 bedrooms at first floor but still have a bedroom at ground floor.

• Thanks 1

A dormer bungalow is a great idea. Obviously none of us know your day to day challenges but the only things that immediately came to mind, is the hip surgery guaranteed to significantly improve mobility? Is there a possibility that there might be days where stairs could be very difficult in the future? If you went for a bungalow, do you have family where you could visit and 'borrow' the stairs regularly? 

Also, do you need lots of additional support equipment, which requires going up and down the stairs. 

I'm probably biased toward a bungalow because I live in one and taking stuff upstairs/downstairs is alien and cumbersome. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, kingcarr21 said:

If he is able or will be able to manage a stairlift, then perhaps stairs needn't be a deciding factor?  You could try stairs at first and if they become impossible fit a stairlift.

Edited by dsr-burnley
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, FoyleFox said:

A dormer bungalow is a great idea. Obviously none of us know your day to day challenges but the only things that immediately came to mind, is the hip surgery guaranteed to significantly improve mobility? Is there a possibility that there might be days where stairs could be very difficult in the future? If you went for a bungalow, do you have family where you could visit and 'borrow' the stairs regularly? 

Also, do you need lots of additional support equipment, which requires going up and down the stairs. 

I'm probably biased toward a bungalow because I live in one and taking stuff upstairs/downstairs is alien and cumbersome. 

I mean the surgery isnt a guarantee to improve matters however Ashtons ball and socket joint has separated approx 60%. I would imagine that would make mobility difficult for anyone. So pinning it in place i would like to think he would be in a better place to improve his mobility.

He currently wears splints to counter the offset in his legs, they are both the same length but the hip issue means his left leg drops approx 1cm more than his right.

All of this could be irrelevant though due to his actual neurological condition, if his brain cant figure out how to walk with balance then he will never walk unaided.

What i dont want to happen is we, as parents, become comfortable in life and just accept Ashton for how he is now. When infact some perseverance may just get his brain to learn and understand how to do things. I view his brain as like a satnav, when a disruption happens your satnav finds an alternative route to the destination. With Ashton its a similar thing, trying to get his brain to communicate through a different path in order for him to learn things.

It could all be a false hope and he never improves but we shall see. I like the idea of a bungalow with an upstairs area that would be best of both worlds.

I didnt imagine i would be thinking about moving so soon. But once we found out how much we could borrow the wife has gone on a mission now lol 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

If he is able or will be able to manage a stairlift, then perhaps stairs needn't be a deciding factor?  You could try stairs at first and if they become impossible fit a stairlift.

Thats true, there are always work arounds. I was deadset on a bungalow but when looking around at whats on the market i havent found a bungalow i like.

A 3 storey house however lol 

5 hours ago, kingcarr21 said:

Thats true, there are always work arounds. I was deadset on a bungalow but when looking around at whats on the market i havent found a bungalow i like.

A 3 storey house however lol 

With a lift of course...

image.png.2deb8a8d3b2816a05c3466ab975a7155.png

836_1 (3).jpg

Has anyone got any rough idea how much it is to buy / fit Oak Veener doors? 

The wife was quoted £8k earlier to change 32 of them! I told her I’ll buy them and fit them at that price! Jeeez! 

12 minutes ago, Sly said:

The wife was quoted £8k earlier to change 32 of them! I told her I’ll buy them and fit them at that price! Jeeez! 

£130 a door is £4160. 

If you spend an hour a door (won't take that long, even I can do it in that time) they're quoting a rate of £120 p/h...

I'll do it for £7,800.

1 hour ago, Sly said:

The wife was quoted £8k earlier to change 32 of them! I told her I’ll buy them and fit them at that price! 

£8k is £208 per door + VAT.  (I assume the trader was VAT registered.)  His quote would presumably separate the cost of the doors and the fitting.  Typical costs on a random website "UK Oak Doors" are from £80 + VAT to £220 + VAT per door,

• Like 1