Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Grantham Fox

The AFCON

With Slimani looking likely to join, our reluctance to sell Schlupp and our (seemingly) more important role for Amartey, does anyone else have any other concerns about how many Africans are in the squad. I'm not being racist but losing Schlupp, Mahrez, Amartey, Musa and Slimani for a period of time will probably, actually no probably about it, definitely be leaving us very short! Any concerns, and how will we handle this?

Just now, Grantham Fox said:

With Slimani looking likely to join, our reluctance to sell Schlupp and our (seemingly) more important role for Amartey, does anyone else have any other concerns about how many Africans are in the squad. I'm not being racist but losing Schlupp, Mahrez, Amartey, Musa and Slimani for a period of time will probably, actually no probably about it, definitely be leaving us very short! Any concerns, and how will we handle this?

well Musa won't be going because Nigeria aren't in the competition so that nips that one in the bud.

so racist though.

So we will be without Schlupp, Mahrez, Amartey & Slimani during January. Nigeria didn't qualify for the AFCON so Musa will be sticking around.

Our january fixtures: Middlesborough, Chelsea, Southampton, Burnley + an FA Cup tie, possibly a carling cup fixture but I doubt it. So, I'd say there are potentially 5-6 fixtures. 

I think the AFCON won't harm us too much because we will still have 18-19 players to select from + U23's who could cover for cup games like Muskwe & Hamza can be recalled, etc.

Our squad will be:

GK: Kasper, Zieler

RB: Simpson

CB: Morgan, Huth, Hernandez, Wasyl, Benalouane

LB: Fuchs, Chilwell

Wing: Albrighton, Gray, Kaputska

CM: Drinkwater, Mendy, King, James, Hamza

ST: Vardy, Okazaki, Musa, Ulloa if he stays, Muskwe,

Guest MattP

How we really got to a point in society where a concern over losing players to the African nations could be construed as racism? lol

1 hour ago, Grantham Fox said:

I think the absence of Vardy last season plus Huth this/last campaign have shown that the team can actually play football even without some of the more veteran or renowned starting XI members.

Overreaction much? Just because you repeat a myth doesn't make it any tru'er.

15 minutes ago, DangerFox said:

The competition is this season and players will be gone for most of January and part of February.

Off the top of my head, we will have missing:

Riyad Mahrez

Islam Slimani

Daniel Amartey

Jeffrey Schlupp

That is ****ing crippling. How annoying. 

I admit the timing of the AFCON is annoying but well Chealsea had to lose Drogba and Kalou who always reached the final and were massive for them

Liverpool will have to do without Mane and Matip as well and much more examples , Schlupp isn't even a starter so won't be a big deal, Amartey is a good cover though 

Think by January LCFC will get another CM 

As for Mahrez and Slimani not sure if Algeria can go all the way despite being on paper the best African team we struggle when the conditions are bad , weather , pitches are so bad 

There are riots in Gabon right now because of their president elections and they may delay the AFCON(unlikely though cuz the winner will play confiderations cup) if things go wrong and it turns to a civil war there , we'll see anyway

1 hour ago, Larry_LCFC said:

That is ****ing crippling. How annoying. 

No it's not.

Albrighton, Kapustka, Gray and Musa to cover the wings.

Leo/Shinji/Musa/Vardy up front.

James/King/Mendy/Drinkwater to cover midfield.

This scenario is what we have squad depth for, and we are well covered.

Archived