Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
stripeyfox

Football Manager 2017

Just been reminiscing on this

http://www.footballmanagerstory.com/forum/topic/1313-european-success-for-sparta-prague-now-for-the-same-at-sporting-lisbon/

My favourite part inparticular

Another defeat at Mlada Boleslav meant I trailed by 5pts with 2 games to go. I had two home games against 14th and 16th (last) place, Banik had two tricky away games, the final game at 3rd place Slavia Prague

I win my game, Banik get a draw. Going into the final game the table looked like this

1. Banik Ostrava P29 W20 D6 L3 F67 A28 GD +39 PTS 66

2. Sparta Prague P29 W20 D3 L6 F70 A38 GD +32 PTS 63

With more goals scored the goal difference between us both was effectively 6.

30mins into the final game both games are 0-0. Two quick goals saw me take a 2-0 lead at HT. 3-0.. 4-0.. then Slavia take the lead against Banik. Banik go on to lose 4-0. I go on to win 5-0. I win the title by +2 on GD biggrin.png

lol

17 hours ago, pmcla26 said:

I chose Fulham, gone for a 4-4-1-1 counter attacking tactic with Cairney in the number 10 role, who is absolutely on fire, think he's got something like 4 assists and 4 goals in 5/6 games in all comps so far. Been a mixed start, won in against Newcastle 2-1 then after going 2-0 up at Preston, then threw it away in last half hour after a Jordan Hugill hat trick. A few more wins and things were looking very good, but a narrow loss in the EFL cup 2nd round to Wolves and a win and loss here and there in the league have put us on the brink of the play offs after about 5 games. Alright so far but maybe need to tweak the tactics slightly, haven't put on my counter attacking tactic my 'lateral pressing' opposition instructions so may be why they are getting so much space in some areas of the field rather than be agressively closed down, suppose it's worth a try to see if it improves, just don't like pressing in the championship so much as your players can get injured or be tired easily if you play say 3 games in 10 days etc

Fulham is a great shout, the youth prospects there are something else! Might be a way around the tiredness aspect as I think a fair few of them are first team ready so could be used for midweek rotation?

Wow, I was 4th/5th at Christmas and then the second half of the season went on a massive run of games without winning. Finished the season 9th and even that was only on goal difference.

Can't even create chances. 

Got that frustrated I was tempted to resign but I've built up an okay squad at Everton.

1 hour ago, pmcla26 said:

My Fulham save going really well, 17 games in and top of the league with 39 points, scored 31 and only conceded 12! Think I've made a really good tactic, since Martin has come back in after a couple of spells on the sideline with injury he haa been on a good goal scoring run, although whilst he was out, Jason Cummings, signed from Hibs for £800k scored quite a few too including two long shots from 30 yards! Currently on a 13 game unbeaten run, 10 wins and 3 draws, keeping 7 clean sheets in the process, whoever suggested Fulham, thanks!

You're welcome kid ?

Fulham would be a great save. Not done it but it's got all the ingredients.

Lost the play-off final with Fylde. I knew I would. Blow softened somewhat by the chairman upping my wage budget to £47.5k a week, so it's gone from £8.5k, to £27.5k, to that lol our finances looked a bit bleak but we're getting well propped up here. I want the title this year.

• 3 weeks later...

Had a good first rebuilding season after taking over at Milan. Released a lot of ageing players and brought through some of the youth prospects into the first team.

Had NO decent strikers left, so brought back 33 year old striker Gianluca Lapadula from Fenerbahce for about £3m, he ended up scoring 37 goals, which won me the Serie A at the first time of asking. But he's getting on a bit, so needed to sign a world-class prospect. 

Second season in, and just unbeatable. Splashed out £25-odd million on some regen from Atalanta, who's now averaging about 1.5 goals a game and the same in assists. 100% record in the league, no save / loads. 

a9olkh.png

Problem is, when you've got your first eleven averaging about 7.5-8.0+ rating, clubs like Barcelona, Bayern, Man Utd etc. come sniffing, and the player instantly wants to leave (Donnarumma's being a right boob about wanting to leave to go to Real Madrid, and I know I won't get anything like his value.).

Yet I find that it never happens the other way around - if I'm interested in a player from a smaller club, they don't just become unhappy as soon as I show interest...

Anyone else find this?

you get it with teams like barca coming in and upsetting your players, whereas I'm currently getting it with Hull trying to steal my players lol

I've taken Mansfield to the prem in 4 seasons and finished 15th & 10th in my two seasons in the prem. Got offered the France job after they had a distaster of a world cup and I'm just about to start my 3rd prem season. Been difficult as my reputation is still on 1.5 stars so find it difficult to attract any top players, but at least I'm starting to get a decent transfer budget at last (35 mil).

As always my best save has come just weeks before the new release.. happens every damn year lol

Got a good thing going with Southampton (and England) in 2021.

Just had the most ridiculous summer with England, 8 games in about 4 weeks over 2 tournaments, the stupid international league and the confed cup, had lads on like 70% fitness starting against Germany in the final of the international league.

****ed the players so much that 3 i selected from Southampton I had to give the whole of pre season off so they could recover lol 

6 minutes ago, AjcW said:

As always my best save has come just weeks before the new release.. happens every damn year lol

Got a good thing going with Southampton (and England) in 2021.

Just had the most ridiculous summer with England, 8 games in about 4 weeks over 2 tournaments, the stupid international league and the confed cup, had lads on like 70% fitness starting against Germany in the final of the international league.

****ed the players so much that 3 i selected from Southampton I had to give the whole of pre season off so they could recover lol 

I've never really been able to get into international management in FM. Always struggle with picking my squad! But do fancy giving it a go. Any tips?

2 minutes ago, stripeyfox said:

I've never really been able to get into international management in FM. Always struggle with picking my squad! But do fancy giving it a go. Any tips?

You know what I still don't think i've enjoyed an international gig and I always just accept England because well... i'm English lol

It's a bit of a nightmare to be honest and I feel like i've messed up my Southampton signings this year because the whole summer was England.

The other issue with England in 2021 is that you almost run out of available players and have to start waiting for the regens to become good enough to step up from the U21's

I've probably not helped you there, to be honest i've never made it past a 2 year stint. 

On 07/09/2017 at 10:28, RoboFox said:

Yet I find that it never happens the other way around - if I'm interested in a player from a smaller club, they don't just become unhappy as soon as I show interest...

Anyone else find this?

Yep and when the dialogue with a player opens up and you have to give a 'fair' value which is always too low which doesn't seem to work the other way round

3 hours ago, glenny_fox said:

you get it with teams like barca coming in and upsetting your players, whereas I'm currently getting it with Hull trying to steal my players lol

I've taken Mansfield to the prem in 4 seasons and finished 15th & 10th in my two seasons in the prem. Got offered the France job after they had a distaster of a world cup and I'm just about to start my 3rd prem season. Been difficult as my reputation is still on 1.5 stars so find it difficult to attract any top players, but at least I'm starting to get a decent transfer budget at last (35 mil).

I did start from (near) the bottom, to be fair... Took RC Strasbourg Alsace from bottom of Ligue 2 to the Champions League in 4 seasons, so maybe not as rapid progress as you! lolGot offered the Milan job in 2022. Gets a bit frustrating when you've only got £10m a season to play with!

20 minutes ago, Wookie said:

Yep and when the dialogue with a player opens up and you have to give a 'fair' value which is always too low which doesn't seem to work the other way round

Absolutely. 

*Player valued at £25m, wants to leave*

Manager: "Ok, I'll let you go. But only if they meet our valuation of you..."

Player: "How much are we talking here?"

Manager: "£60m"

Player: "You're being totally unreasonable here, how about £26m?"

:facepalm:

On 9/8/2017 at 15:24, Turbogre said:

I'm Currently Chelsea and won the Premier League x3 FA cup x2 

Still can't get a sniff of being offered the England Managers job, Southgate is still in, and doing a cracking job tbf.

I got it after he'd won the ****ing world cup with them so i basically can't do anything better lol 

On 15/09/2017 at 12:28, Finnegan said:

Is anyone using a good 17/18 transfers database? 

Never used one before but tempted. 

I am. Silva and iborra are both fantastic and Kelechi is a beast and after a season is a leading striker. Maguire isn't great Ca wise but pretty consistent. Dragovic is very very good when playing ball playing centre half. 

International football is awful. Is it just me that found my team never gets used to the formation that I play? Dont know if its always been something i'm doing wrong, something the game forgot to implement or whether they just see it as realistic with the little time we get together. I managed in Russia for 6 years and took the national job, I knew the star names etc. but picking a squad is tedious and with a national pool that never updates itself it's just too hard unless you have a lot of patience. At the time I think yeah i'll take this real serious, watch a game or two every weekend lol Then I just end up letting my assistant pick the team

Btw is beta usually released two weeks before the proper release date?

30 minutes ago, Turbogre said:

Annoying when my Central mids don't play in my full backs when they are in space.
I have tried exploit the flanks, look for overlap and clear the ball to flanks but they keep titting about with it in the middle (no exploit the middle is not on)

Play a right footer LCM and left footer RCM.

Archived