Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
stripeyfox

Football Manager 2017

5 hours ago, RoboFox said:

Never.

BUT EA could do all of us who like both management sims and actually playing the game a favour and develop Career Mode for once, instead of just leaving it to stagnate, year after year with barely any gameplay or feature updates. But of course they'd focus on FUT, since it makes them a f**k-load of money. C**ts.

There was the ill fated Fifa manager. Far too easy and as much depth as a puddle

17 hours ago, RoboFox said:

Never.

BUT EA could do all of us who like both management sims and actually playing the game a favour and develop Career Mode for once, instead of just leaving it to stagnate, year after year with barely any gameplay or feature updates. But of course they'd focus on FUT, since it makes them a f**k-load of money. C**ts.

Yeah each year I think 'this will be the year' then they add one feature in career mode that took about 5 minutes and then spend the rest of the time on FUT. FUT does make loads of money, but there is still a huge crowd that buys Fifa football for other things other than FUT

I've just started an online match with a mate in league 2. I'm Mansfield (currently 2nd) and he's Exeter (currently 22nd lol). I've just gone for a team full of loans at the moment, but does anyone have any hidden gems that they've bought in league 2?

3 hours ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

am I the only one really struggling to get into this one this year?

I've put 800+ hours into it I've only enjoyed probably 5 seasons across two saves on all that time. I enjoyed 16 more.

3 hours ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

I always end up getting TOO into it.

I'd be Leonardo Da Vinci if I put the same amount of time I spend on Football Manager into doing something productive.

I've got really into this in the past couple of weeks.

me and a mate both started in league 2 as Mansfield and Exeter. first season I finished 2nd (due to a last minute goal) whereas he finished 17th.

2nd season we are 30 games in and I'm 2nd in league one behind runaway leaders Wolves, I'm in the 5th round of the FA cup after getting a favourable run of draws, and in the quarters of the checkatrade after beating Man City U23's.

Whereas my mate is 12th in League 2, and on the verge of being sacked lol.

• 2 weeks later...

Got a good game going with Brentford at the minue, promoted first season and will stay up second. 

Odd one though, I play three at the back and the left centre back ALWAYS get a rating below 6.5... sometimes even in the 5's! We have one of the best defensive records in the league and hardly concede so it's not like it's poor play, i've tried about three different lads there too and it's always the same... think it's a glitch?

On 20/07/2017 at 11:38, The Horse's Mouth said:

Same here - I am usually an 800 to 900 hours player - but have only managed 197 hours on this one. No idea why, but just didn't do it for me.

This happened about 10 years ago as well, for some reason the version just didn't grab me.

Roll on FM18 and I'm sure we'll be back into it! 

On 7/20/2017 at 11:38, The Horse's Mouth said:

FM17 337hrs

FM16 388hrs

FM15 294hrs

FM14 125hrs

FM13 1046hrs lol

FM12 374hrs

I have phases where i'm on it everyday for weeks and then all of a sudden i'm off it for months. not played it for 6 weeks now. I've only had 2 meaningful games on 17, in Russia and Czech Republic where I did about 12 seasons and 7 seasons. I love long saves and the closer we get towards the 18 the less worth it I find it to get into something new. I've had this idea for about a month to try Vaduz in the 2nd division in Switzerland. They were relegated last season but as we were talking about in another thread recently, Vaduz are are club from Liechtenstein and regularly qualify for the Europa League (qualifiers) by winning the Liechtenstein Cup. The catch however is that as far as I understand Vaduz can't qualify for European football through league finishes in Switzerland, therefore meaning the only way they could ever qualify for the Champions League is by winning the Europa League. The plus side is that Vaduz should be winning the Liechtenstein cup every season. Just looking at it now I see that in the last 68 years they have made the final on 58 occasions, winning 45 times lol

On my Sparta Prague game years ago it took me nearly 20 years to win the Europa League and about 35 years to win the Champions League lol Needless to say Vaduz are not a patch on Sparta, but it's certainly a unique challenge. Whenever I do these games with random European clubs my aim, as unrealistic as it is but we can dream, is to win the Champions League one day. It's one thing to try and win the CL in normal circumstances, but only being able to so much as give it a go in the season after you've won the Europa League is ridiculous lol I imagine it would be good to reach a level of winning the Europa League, then keep a cycle of where at worst in the CL you finish 3rd in your group at worst so you can try and in the Europa League again unless you feel you can get through the group and win the lot at the first time of asking lol

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FC_Vaduz

That stadium backdrop

I'm AFC Fylde now. Walked the National League North by 13 points, now got a wage budget for the National League that's bigger than all bar three in the league, bigger than half of League Two and the same size as Shrewsbury in League One. Got to be going for play-offs I reckon.

What's up with the complacency ?

I can draw / beat / play well against teams from top of the league to mid table, yet any team in the bottom three or just above completely batter me. 

1 hour ago, RoboFox said:

Posted this in the main forum, but I feel like it deserves a spot here. 

The lines between FM and real life are becoming ever more blurred... 

Watford use FM to announce IRL signing of Andre Gray.

Nice idea, they are a title sponsor and have a lot of affiliation to watford to be fair so always more likely to happen with them. 

On 07/08/2017 at 11:32, casablancas said:

Tempted to do a rangers save to try and over throw the hoops ... just not sure I can bring myself to play north of the border. 

After selling deadwood, youngsters and wahgorn managed to bring in a few decent youngsters. Betancour and Matty James to name a few. Also have Harvey Barnes and Kuki on loan who are tearing the league apart. 

Also what is it with clubs requesting sell on fees? It's apparent that the minimum clubs accept is 30% non negotiable. Between the debt and this I'm proper hamstrung in the market. Particularly annoying this.  

33 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

Can someone suggest a good championship/premier league team to manage and some players to sign. I always seem to go back to the same players and I'm getting bored. Thanks.

So who are your regular signings? I had a very good save with Fulham getting them into the europa league after four seasons. They have a decent youth setup and some decent kids. Also Brentford is a decent game. 

Brentford is a great shout. Amazing finances stability wise, I got them up through play offs first season, stayed for another and now at Southampton... really good game to get stuck into though so i'd recommend Brentford too. 

I played with 3 in midfield as well, they have some serious quality there, Ryan Woods is one of the best i've ever had on FM both at Championship and lower prem level.

To give you an idea of how quickly they can develop I left them with Nabby Keita in midfield after a season in the prem lol 

Won my second Ligue 1 title with Strasbourg in 2021-22, as I was coming to the end of my contract. Turned down their offer of a renewal as I could never get past the last 16 of the Champions League, was getting tired of the bigger clubs coming in and poaching all of my sh*t-hot youngsters and generally wanted a new challenge.

Instantly got offered a couple of jobs in Serie A, Juventus and AC Milan. Took the Milan job as they're a great rebuilding project, having finished 6th in three consecutive seasons.

Their one world-class player handed in a transfer request as soon as I arrived, so I cashed in for £40m and reinvested by bringing in experienced ex-Serie A players on the cheap from abroad.

Now currently sitting top in February, three points clear of Juve and watching from afar as an AI manager absolutely sh*ts all over my championship-winning Strasbourg squad.

I play too much of this game. 

I know FM likes drawing a team in the cup just before you play them in the league but I've just played...

Manchester City H (league)

[ ... ]

Manchester City A (league cup semi final)

Arsenal (league)

Manchester City H (league cup semi final)

Manchester City A (FA Cup 5th round)

... And in a few weeks I've got them away in the league again!

I'm currently 3rd in the National League with AFC Fylde but I'd say since I changed to 4-3-3 we've been comfortably the best side in the league, record something like 13-2-1 and just won comfortably at Tranmere who are pissing the league.

Tranmere are about 8 points clear at the top but us, Eastleigh and Gateshead are all absolutely flying and I can see it going right down to the end.

I'd absolutely recommend these as a save in non-league. You really can build a decent side at this level and I want to be in the Championship by 2023. Could be being delusional there mind.

44 minutes ago, RoboFox said:

Won my second Ligue 1 title with Strasbourg in 2021-22, as I was coming to the end of my contract. Turned down their offer of a renewal as I could never get past the last 16 of the Champions League, was getting tired of the bigger clubs coming in and poaching all of my sh*t-hot youngsters and generally wanted a new challenge.

Instantly got offered a couple of jobs in Serie A, Juventus and AC Milan. Took the Milan job as they're a great rebuilding project, having finished 6th in three consecutive seasons.

Their one world-class player handed in a transfer request as soon as I arrived, so I cashed in for £40m and reinvested by bringing in experienced ex-Serie A players on the cheap from abroad.

Now currently sitting top in February, three points clear of Juve and watching from afar as an AI manager absolutely sh*ts all over my championship-winning Strasbourg squad.

I play too much of this game. 

lol another manager coming in and ripping up everything you've done in 6 months is all too common

2 minutes ago, Walkers said:

lol another manager coming in and ripping up everything you've done in 6 months is all too common

lol I know! 

He put three or four of my first team squad either straight in the reserves or on the transfer list. It's strange how the AI seems to disregard performance stats entirely.

He then flogged off a couple of wonderkids for silly money and bought pretty average replacements.

However, they seem to be doing alright. 3rd after Monaco and PSG.

Archived