Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tielemans63

Slimani

1 hour ago, Bert said:

Let's remember. Slimani came back from the AFCON with an injury and hasn't been fully fit since, whilst getting 15/20 minutes here and there. He's also still perhaps settling in and adapting to English football. With a full pre season under his belt there's no reason why he can't bag 15 for us next season. All

of his goals bar one have been with his head which is very handy when we have someone who can whip balls in like Albrighton does. 

This. If we were to judge Vardy based on the results of the first half of the season, it wouldn't be good. Everyone has improved under Shakespeare, and Slimani shouldn't be judged until he gets some playing time. A start against Everton would be perfect. I remember at the beginning of the season - after the Porto and Burnley game - the analysis of what a front three of Vardy, Slimani, and Mahrez could bring to the table. Let's face it, the wheels fell off of everything, Shakespeare needed to go back to basics to restore confidence, and anyone (aside from Ndidi) who wasn't starting at the end of last season is going to need to earn his sport. The good thing about Slimani/Okazaki is that Okazaki doesn't play 90 minutes. I do wonder if his high-energy efforts might even be more effective if he were the fresh legs coming in for the last 30 minutes, as opposed to the one coming off.

3 minutes ago, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

This. If we were to judge Vardy based on the results of the first half of the season, it wouldn't be good. Everyone has improved under Shakespeare, and Slimani shouldn't be judged until he gets some playing time. A start against Everton would be perfect. I remember at the beginning of the season - after the Porto and Burnley game - the analysis of what a front three of Vardy, Slimani, and Mahrez could bring to the table. Let's face it, the wheels fell off of everything, Shakespeare needed to go back to basics to restore confidence, and anyone (aside from Ndidi) who wasn't starting at the end of last season is going to need to earn his sport. The good thing about Slimani/Okazaki is that Okazaki doesn't play 90 minutes. I do wonder if his high-energy efforts might even be more effective if he were the fresh legs coming in for the last 30 minutes, as opposed to the one coming off.

Slimani should start over Okazaki, because Slim can be defensive as we've seen yesterday. I think Okazaki should be subbed in once we have a 1 or 2 goal lead that we want to protect. 

Just now, Redouane said:

Slimani should start over Okazaki, because Slim can be defensive as we've seen yesterday. I think Okazaki should be subbed in once we have a 1 or 2 goal lead that we want to protect. 

I know it's not really his job right now (as strange as it is to say that about a striker), but I think Okazaki would actually score more goals off the bench. Defenders would be more tired, and his type of crazy scoring happens when the other side makes mental errors.

5 minutes ago, TK95 said:

Seen the goal back on TV, was a brilliant header!

Didn't realise how good it was initially at the game 

Great header and a cheeky push - if it was disallowed I don't think we could have many complaints.

I'd give him a run against Everton and rest Vardy - Shinji and Vards to start against Madrid. There's been a lot of talk about Slim being able to press like Shinji, which he can but he doesn't have the positional awareness of Shinji which away from home will be vital.

I was really impressed with Slimani's workrate last night and the goal clearly meant a lot to him. I like that. I'm gonna give him a real chance to shine at City before I dismiss the bloke. 

The team looks really happy at the moment and it's brilliant to see.

8 hours ago, Redouane said:

Actually, Slimani's best quality is that he puts 200%. I suggest you watch some of his Sporting and national team games. 

I watch what he does for Leicester. What he did at Sporting means nothing to me.  

8 hours ago, MPH said:

Are people really complaining about his goal celebration?

im no Muslim, but he was thanking his god. What's wrong with him doing that? 

Better than some of these egotistical celebrations....

I couldn't see a problem with his celebration either. Plenty of players make the sign of the cross. It seems entirely understandable for religious people to give thanks to their God when something good happens. It reflects gratitude and humility.     

7 hours ago, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

The whole point about his starting is to allow us to press high up the field and help prevent us being vulnerable at the back when doing so. It was alarming to see us conceding three goals a game at times when we tried to play 4-4-2 because the system leaves us vulnerable no matter which two we choose in central midfield. With Shinji comes balance and the confidence to attack in numbers. Slimani is a different player altogether with his own strengths and weaknesses. .    

7 hours ago, Redouane said:

Until Ranieri's sacking this season and a return to what made us so successful, we didn't get one and two goal leads. We got hammered.  

8 hours ago, Bamba's Babes said:

Slimani is vastly underrated by our own fans.

Rarely fails to impress me with his work rate and link up play.

Absolute beast in the air, only improvement could be his finishing with his feet in open play.

It's not a matter of Slimani being underrated but more about people appreciating what other people do as well. 

2 hours ago, Thracian said:

I watch what he does for Leicester. What he did at Sporting means nothing to me.  

Well in Leicester he hasn't been sluggish really. Show me some concrete evidence of when Slimani was being sluggish. Okay he missed that shot vs West Ham but he worked hard to get in front of the goal in the first place, so his work rate was good just lacked finishing. 

58 minutes ago, Redouane said:

Well in Leicester he hasn't been sluggish really. Show me some concrete evidence of when Slimani was being sluggish. Okay he missed that shot vs West Ham but he worked hard to get in front of the goal in the first place, so his work rate was good just lacked finishing. 

Some of the time he hasn't been here at all and at other times he's been injured. Neither situation was any good to us at all and it meant that others had to do his shift.

He didn't just miss an easy chance against West Ham but against Swansea too. Neither was life-changing in the great scheme of things but they may have reflected a lack of sharpness.

Going further back I can remember seeing Slimani looking anything but sharp or particularly fit while at other times his close control rated between clumsy and lamentable.

So there's plenty not to celebrate and the fact for you to recognise that Slimani and Shinji are not the same kind of player at all and our club doesn't need anyone campaigning for people's inclusion on the back of selective observations.

I've said what I think about Slimani as a footballer and its mostly been complimentary. In time i'd  hope it might be more praising. But Shinji has already earned his medals at the club - one of them an unprecedented and unexpected Premiership title. He's been a warrior for our team on countless fronts and has played a significant part in our revival under Shakespeare.

And you touting Slimani to replace him is to ignore everything that makes him so special in our club and so uniquelly important to our team.

They are not the same type of player, they do nothing like the same job and I'm quite sure Craig Shakespeare will do what he thinks best according to the circumstances and without your continual canvassing.   .       

10 hours ago, Redouane said:

Id definitely give Slimani more game time away from home for the defensive help but also a more direct outlet on the break. At home I'd start Okazaki so we have someone to try and a defensive posession game under pressure...

and then do the 60 min swap... for each player 

10 minutes ago, Thracian said:

Some of the time he hasn't been here at all and at other times he's been injured. Neither situation was any good to us at all and it meant that others had to do his shift.

He didn't just miss an easy chance against West Ham but against Swansea too. Neither was life-changing in the great scheme of things but they may have reflected a lack of sharpness.

Going further back I can remember seeing Slimani looking anything but sharp or particularly fit while at other times his close control rated between clumsy and lamentable.

So there's plenty not to celebrate and the fact for you to recognise that Slimani and Shinji are not the same kind of player at all and our club doesn't need anyone campaigning for people's inclusion on the back of selective observations.

I've said what I think about Slimani as a footballer and its mostly been complimentary. In time i'd  hope it might be more praising. But Shinji has already earned his medals at the club - one of them an unprecedented and unexpected Premiership title. He's been a warrior for our team on countless fronts and has played a significant part in our revival under Shakespeare.

And you touting Slimani to replace him is to ignore everything that makes him so special in our club and so uniquelly important to our team.

They are not the same type of player, they do nothing like the same job and I'm quite sure Craig Shakespeare will do what he thinks best according to the circumstances and without your continual canvassing.   .       

You were claiming that he was sluggish, what does that have to do with injuries? No one expects to get injured.

That's my point! They are not the same players. Okazakis role would be more suited for holding a score rather than adding to it. But what's the point of defending if you are at 0-0? You need to score then defend. But I was arguing that although slimani can contribute offensively he can also contribute defensively. I do rate Shinji as a player, I just disagree with the way he's being used. Yeah sure it works vs Stoke and West Ham, but Atletico is a complete other beast. They have a very similar style to Leicester, would be hard to counter attack them as we did vs Sevilla. So what's the solution? Use Slimani in set pieces!! 

I don't get why you are getting overly defensive though, I didn't say a single bad thing about Okazaki. He's a top player who had a major part in Leicesters success 

5 minutes ago, Redouane said:

You were claiming that he was sluggish, what does that have to do with injuries? No one expects to get injured.

That's my point! They are not the same players. Okazakis role would be more suited for holding a score rather than adding to it. But what's the point of defending if you are at 0-0? You need to score then defend. But I was arguing that although slimani can contribute offensively he can also contribute defensively. I do rate Shinji as a player, I just disagree with the way he's being used. Yeah sure it works vs Stoke and West Ham, but Atletico is a complete other beast. They have a very similar style to Leicester, would be hard to counter attack them as we did vs Sevilla. So what's the solution? Use Slimani in set pieces!! 

I don't get why you are getting overly defensive though, I didn't say a single bad thing about Okazaki. He's a top player who had a major part in Leicesters success 

Disagreeing with the way a player is being used when he's just played a significant role in six succcessive, season-saving and highly important victories doesn't seem like perfect timing to me. :)   

Some interesting slimani stats here:

Slimani has 7 goals in all competitions, and only one of them did not lead to points (the header vs WBA)

6 of his 7 goals were even an equalizer(2 vs WBA and boro) or a game winner (2 goals in a 1-0 victory against Porto and west ham+ the opining goals vs stoke and Burnley)

Slimani opened the score for the team with 4 of his 7 goals (vs Porto, west ham, Burnley and stoke) 

Slimani has 4 assists in all compilations, 3 of them led to us opining the score (1 in the CL to mahrez, 1 vs man city to vardy and 1 vs palace to musa) while the other one was to make it 2-0 vs man city (king's goal)

I don't know about you, but that is pretty impressive.

3 minutes ago, the fox said:

Some interesting slimani stats here:

Slimani has 7 goals in all competitions, and only one of them did not lead to points (the header vs WBA)

6 of his 7 goals were even an equalizer(2 vs WBA and boro) or a game winner (2 goals in a 1-0 victory against Porto and west ham+ the opining goals vs stoke and Burnley)

Slimani opened the score for the team with 4 of his 7 goals (vs Porto, west ham, Burnley and stoke) 

Slimani has 4 assists in all compilations, 3 of them led to us opining the score (1 in the CL to mahrez, 1 vs man city to vardy and 1 vs palace to musa) while the other one was to make it 2-0 vs man city (king's goal)

I don't know about you, but that is pretty impressive.

Interesting. Especially considering the other stat that us getting the opening goal is essentially equal to a win for us 95% of the time. Slim is good for getting that crucial goal vs teams that sit back, while Vardy is better for getting it vs teams that attack us.

Archived