Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tielemans63

Slimani

12 hours ago, Eagle10 said:

Dude but what love? Just one of the best strikers I have seen in my club nothing more than that. My favourite striker is Aguero, Slimani doesn't even figure in my top-20 strikers. 

One of the best strikers I have seen in my club? What club is that then? 

4 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

One of the best strikers I have seen in my club? What club is that then? 

Just like all the others when Slim and Mahrez go your 'love for the club' will be non existent 

Eagle10 is a Sporting Lisbon fan.

6 minutes ago, luke-b said:

highly amusing. I actually like slimani, is he worth 28 million NO but if he scores the goal to take us through to the semis he'll be worth every penny

You could say the same about Musa or Mendy.

The fact is we can only judge on what we've seen and our summer transfer business was one big mess.

3 minutes ago, Gerard said:

You could say the same about Musa or Mendy.

The fact is we can only judge on what we've seen and our summer transfer business was one big mess.

mendy was never a player we needed and to go along with it is an absolutly terrible player IMO, musa fits a system just not our system he isnt an awful player and in glimpses we have seen that he is capable going forward but he struggles when asked to do a job defensively.

slimani is a player i feel we needed, his aerial threat is far suprior to anybody we had already and gives us another option. and i do feel weve seen enough when hes been fit

our summer transfers were in general awful, hernandez was quite possibly the worst defender ive seen in a leicester shirt.

i do feel that this was down to ranieri, it was partly or even fully his job to replace steve walsh. He clearly wanted to change us into a more patient team but i dont feel he ever fully commited to that decision in terms of transfers and tactics/formation. he was trying to get the best of both worlds which didnt work from day 1 and ultimatly was his downfall

2 minutes ago, luke-b said:

mendy was never a player we needed and to go along with it is an absolutly terrible player IMO, musa fits a system just not our system he isnt an awful player and in glimpses we have seen that he is capable going forward but he struggles when asked to do a job defensively.

slimani is a player i feel we needed, his aerial threat is far suprior to anybody we had already and gives us another option. and i do feel weve seen enough when hes been fit

our summer transfers were in general awful, hernandez was quite possibly the worst defender ive seen in a leicester shirt.

i do feel that this was down to ranieri, it was partly or even fully his job to replace steve walsh. He clearly wanted to change us into a more patient team but i dont feel he ever fully commited to that decision in terms of transfers and tactics/formation. he was trying to get the best of both worlds which didnt work from day 1 and ultimatly was his downfall

I more or less agree with most of that. I feel we got what we deserved in the summer as our transfer business was similar to a drunk at a strip club.

I think Slimani was bought as an upgrade on Okazaki because Islam was a hard working forward who was good in the air and could score goals. The reality was he can't play the No10 role and Vardy is a much better No9. There were a lot of assumptions by us that Slimani and Vardy could become a good partnership but they just don't compliment each other at all and never will especially in a low possession team like ourselves.

Mendy was always going to be a disaster IMO. I remember looking at his stats and he seemed like a nothing player to me. He didn't win the ball back enough and neither was he creative so if as a player you are neither stopping goals or creating goals then what are you doing? His ball retention stats were great but it can be a false stat for a player if you never try to break the lines with a pass but take the simple option.

Musa has shown flashes of quality but for me he's a wide forward in a 4-3-3. He's not capable enough of playing centrally or wide left in a 4-4-1-1. His touch is awful and his only weapon is pace.

Hernandez was rubbish but I won't slate the club for this one as he was a Bosman and only came to bolster the squad. It's a good strategy to get players who are only signed for squad depth for no fee. It didn't work out too bad in the end as he effectively played for free and we made a small profit as well.

Zieler has been awful considering his pedigree, how on earth has he got a World Cup Winners medal but he was relatively cheap and we needed a competent back up to Kasper.

Kaputska, the jury is still out. Has shown flashes of quality but is very young still but I still expected more from a Polish international. I won't criticise the club for buying young talent though as we'll probably at least get our money back on him if it doesn't work out here.

1 minute ago, Gerard said:

I more or less agree with most of that. I feel we got what we deserved in the summer as our transfer business was similar to a drunk at a strip club.

I think Slimani was bought as an upgrade on Okazaki because Islam was a hard working forward who was good in the air and could score goals. The reality was he can't play the No10 role and Vardy is a much better No9. There were a lot of assumptions by us that Slimani and Vardy could become a good partnership but they just don't compliment each other at all and never will especially in a low possession team like ourselves.

Mendy was always going to be a disaster IMO. I remember looking at his stats and he seemed like a nothing player to me. He didn't win the ball back enough and neither was he creative so if as a player you are neither stopping goals or creating goals then what are you doing? His ball retention stats were great but it can be a false stat for a player if you never try to break the lines with a pass but take the simple option.

Musa has shown flashes of quality but for me he's a wide forward in a 4-3-3. He's not capable enough of playing centrally or wide left in a 4-4-1-1. His touch is awful and his only weapon is pace.

Hernandez was rubbish but I won't slate the club for this one as he was a Bosman and only came to bolster the squad. It's a good strategy to get players who are only signed for squad depth for no fee. It didn't work out too bad in the end as he effectively played for free and we made a small profit as well.

Zieler has been awful considering his pedigree, how on earth has he got a World Cup Winners medal but he was relatively cheap and we needed a competent back up to Kasper.

Kaputska, the jury is still out. Has shown flashes of quality but is very young still but I still expected more from a Polish international. I won't criticise the club for buying young talent though as we'll probably at least get our money back on him if it doesn't work out here.

also agree with most of what you say.

Thats what i mean with slimani its what i have said to other people, he cant really play with vardy but as an option to vardy as both have to be the focal point of an attack a feel as i feel our style of play changes accordingly, ofcourse if things arent going your way they can play together as you can also play off slimani but that isnt actually our normal style of play (although many fans of other clubs try to tell me it is)

bang on with musa its exactly how i feel about him, will never fit our system

kapustka is lacking physically i think, when he gets there i think he does have a place within the squad

43 minutes ago, Gerard said:

I agree on all except for Slim, Musa and Zieler. I think some of the problems with Zieler is his communication with the back lines. I think his shot stopping is decent but his ability to communicate with the defense is lacking. He also isn't much of a "sweeper keeper" like Schmeichel.

As a Super Eagles fan (Nigerian National team) I knew Musa would always be frustrating but on his day is good. He is best as a wide forward just like you say. It doesn't make sense to me that a player who was vital to a team in both the Champions League and a mainstay in our national team all of a sudden turns rubbish because the fact is that it doesn't always mean that the player is completely rubbish.

As for Slim, I really think he is a better striker than Ulloa, but doesn't really fit Leicester's system. He is better suited for a team with possession and in the right system is about the same level as Vardy in overall play. The fact is that while both are different types of strikers they both offer different things to the table. Vardy is very similar to Aubameyang which benefits from pace and running in behind while Slimani is very similar to Benteke where he is best at the end of crosses.

I honestly think if Leicester are looking for an Okazaki replacement, they should look at getting Kelechi Iheanacho on loan from Man City. Young, Clinical and has good workrate.

Guest CityFan 06
42 minutes ago, TheHitman™ said:

I agree on all except for Slim, Musa and Zieler. I think some of the problems with Zieler is his communication with the back lines. I think his shot stopping is decent but his ability to communicate with the defense is lacking. He also isn't much of a "sweeper keeper" like Schmeichel.

As a Super Eagles fan (Nigerian National team) I knew Musa would always be frustrating but on his day is good. He is best as a wide forward just like you say. It doesn't make sense to me that a player who was vital to a team in both the Champions League and a mainstay in our national team all of a sudden turns rubbish because the fact is that it doesn't always mean that the player is completely rubbish.

As for Slim, I really think he is a better striker than Ulloa, but doesn't really fit Leicester's system. He is better suited for a team with possession and in the right system is about the same level as Vardy in overall play. The fact is that while both are different types of strikers they both offer different things to the table. Vardy is very similar to Aubameyang which benefits from pace and running in behind while Slimani is very similar to Benteke where he is best at the end of crosses.

I honestly think if Leicester are looking for an Okazaki replacement, they should look at getting Kelechi Iheanacho on loan from Man City. Young, Clinical and has good workrate.

Yes, also touted him a while back. Although unlikely (or would it be?) Iheanacho would be a very good signing. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/22/2017 at 10:30, luke-b said:

highly amusing. I actually like slimani, is he worth 28 million NO but if he scores the goal to take us through to the semis he'll be worth every penny

....and I'll never slagging him off again

He is a striker you put on when you need a goal!

His other recent appearances from the bench have been when we were trying to defend a lead, which Ulloa is better at. 

I'd love to have him as an option from the bench but I doubt he would accept that long-term, so we either find a way for him and Vardy to play or we may have to cash in unfortunately 

5 minutes ago, STUHILL said:

He is a striker you put on when you need a goal!

His other recent appearances from the bench have been when we were trying to defend a lead, which Ulloa is better at. 

I'd love to have him as an option from the bench but I doubt he would accept that long-term, so we either find a way for him and Vardy to play or we may have to cash in unfortunately 

The job of a striker is to score goals, the only club I know that is OK with having a striker in the start 11 that doesn't score is Leicester with Shinji. Yes he is a work horse, works really well with Vardy, but he doesn't score and the job of a striker is to score.

15 minutes ago, Eagle10 said:

The job of a striker is to score goals, the only club I know that is OK with having a striker in the start 11 that doesn't score is Leicester with Shinji. Yes he is a work horse, works really well with Vardy, but he doesn't score and the job of a striker is to score.

Your viewpoint was wildly held about a year ago. There was a forum meltdown when we failed to buy Shinji's replacement around Christmas time last year. People wanted him out. Quite viciously at times. Threads were closed because of the abuse he received.

But then we finally understood his role around the start of this season. He's a highly disruptive attacking midfielder who happens to score lots of goals for Japan. He breaks up a teams before they can get going. They are forced to push down the wing. We keep narrow. We follow them down the wings. They cross into the box. Huth and Morgan then clear the ball out. We manage to quickly get it to Vardy and Mahrez running forwards. We score. We win matches.

I'm a massive fan of Slimani. And from what I've heard of him off the pitch he sounds like a gent. And when Slimani is brought on I'm incredibly excited for his work rate, his pressing, his movement, his positioning in the box and his goals. But our team needs Shinji's role and his role is not a striker like Slimani.

1 minute ago, Foxxed said:

Your viewpoint was wildly held about a year ago. There was a forum meltdown when we failed to buy Shinji's replacement around Christmas last least. People wanted him out. Quite viciously at times. Threads were closed because of the abuse he received.

But then we finally understood his role around the start of this season. He's a highly disruptive attacking midfielder who happens to score lots of goals for Japan. He breaks up a teams before they can get going. They are forced to push down the wing. We keep narrow. We follow them down the wings. They cross into the box. Huth and Morgan then clear the ball out. We manage to quickly get it to Vardy and Mahrez running forwards. We score. We win matches.

I'm a massive fan of Slimani. And from what I've heard of him off the pitch he sounds like a gent. And when Slimani is brought on I'm incredibly excited for his work rate, his pressing, his movement, his positioning in the box and his goals. But our team needs Shinji's role and his role is not a striker like Slimani.

The thing is, I think Slimani can be shaped to do the Shinji role, not as good, but he can be shaped to do it reasonably. Having Slimani on the pitch the team will always be closer to the goal, but I agree with you. Leicester needs Shinji and at the moment you are winning matches, so nothing has to be changed. 

20 minutes ago, Eagle10 said:

Shinji doesn't play as a striker, it's not 1990s anymore, the game has evolved.

Just now, Eagle10 said:

The thing is, I think Slimani can be shaped to do the Shinji role, not as good, but he can be shaped to do it reasonably. Having Slimani on the pitch the team will always be closer to the goal, but I agree with you. Leicester needs Shinji and at the moment you are winning matches, so nothing has to be changed. 

Slimani is pressing more, and that's fantastic. He seems to be adapting fantastically. If Slimani can fit Shinji's boots, which seem completely unique in the premier league, it would be amazing. To be fair, Shinji said he really didn't understand his role for much of the start of last season.

14 minutes ago, Max Power said:

What's his goal per minute btw?

if you cross it, he will score. Don't see the point in writing guys off this early. 

He has 6 goals and 3 assists in 1011 minutes, that's about a goal or assist every 112 minute or so

Compared to okazaki who has 2 goals and 0 assists in 1309, that's a goal ever 654,5 minutes.

Archived