Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Steven

Leicester City v Chelsea post match thread 0 - 3

6 hours ago, Legend_in_blue said:

We don't have the players to adopt a 352 formation.  Fuchs is not commanding enough to play on the left of a back three; neither Huth or Morgan can play that sweeper role as they're too slow, Albrighton and Chilwell aren't wingbacks, the midfield three requires a player running forward with the ball - we don't have that... etc etc.  The list is endless as to why it can't work.

You then go like for like against a team well drilled, running away with the league, with individuals all better than our players in their respective positions in a 352 and you're asking for trouble.

Tactically, extremely poor.

If you want to see us in a 352 that worked, you have to go back to the MON era.  We played 352 very well back then with players who knew exactly how to play the system.

Yesterday the players didn't have a clue and all we did was attempt to contain the opposition and ended up defending a 3-0 defeat by bring on our most consistent performer in defence with 14 minutes to go.

Baffling.  Irritating.  Downright stupid.

Why does Fuchs have to be commanding? Azpelequeta (spelling) certainly isn't.....

2 hours ago, Legend_in_blue said:

GH is a numpty as the majority would agree on here, but for once he did speak some sense.  The system clearly didn't work and rather than change that, he kept moving players around in positions that they weren't up to task with. 

Why change it when we were building some momentum from the previous couple of games?

Ideally, he should have kept the same team, and the same system, that he played in the previous game at Everton in an attempt to build upon the last couple of decent results.  Instead, he decides on going like for like, with lesser players to bring about success.  It was a simple choice to make - stick with the same back 4, the 3 in midfield, switch out Albrighton for Musa and put Vardy up front, whilst keeping in Gray (who must be real ****ed off at being in and out when clearly more dangerous than Albrighton who puts in a couple of decent crosses to noone every game). 

Then he caps it off by saying it was "a good performance". 

Not good enough at all.

But as you say, we need to move swiftly on - but I have a feeling CR will continue to cause problems with his changes to the team.  Still, it'll be "a good performance" regardless.  Plenty of fight and spirit too.

So the formation that failed at Stamford Bridge is the one you wanted to see yesterday? Yeah makes sense.

3 hours ago, st albans fox said:

Not sure if this is a tough question but I can't think of the answer

When was the last time we conceded 7 goals to one side at home in a season ?

Good question that actually. Be inclined to say Leeds the year they won here in the cup 0-6.

Where's this belief come from that there's only two formations? He picks a wrong one for a game, then he picks another one, which is also wrong, and people are moaned at because they complained that the first one was wrong?

He didn't match up to Chelsea either. Chelsea play a 3-4-3, we played 3-5-2, leaving two of our forwards against three of their centre halves.

The biggest flaw in our system was how utterly easy it was to defend against. Simple discipline from Chelsea and they were going to get that clean sheet. The midfield three offered absolutely nothing going forward, the wide men were only going to offer crosses that they will either intercept if they're in behind, or head away if they're in the air. There was no flair or guile from any of our players either, none who had the magic to open a team up. Not until Gray came on.

We had quite literally one way of scoring yesterday and this is against a side who keeps clean sheets for fun. All it takes is one mistake (which sure enough we delivered very early doors) and the entire plan is ruined. You can't have so little attacking threat combined with a proven to be unreliable defence and expect anything other than defeat.

It's the second league game in a row I've come away from the ground and wondered where in Ranieri's eyes, barring a freak such as a 30 yarder or defensive howler, was a Leicester goal going to come from.

It was complete garbage.

9 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

Where's this belief come from that there's only two formations? He picks a wrong one for a game, then he picks another one, which is also wrong, and people are moaned at because they complained that the first one was wrong?

He didn't match up to Chelsea either. Chelsea play a 3-4-3, we played 3-5-2, leaving two of our forwards against three of their centre halves.

The biggest flaw in our system was how utterly easy it was to defend against. Simple discipline from Chelsea and they were going to get that clean sheet. The midfield three offered absolutely nothing going forward, the wide men were only going to offer crosses that they will either intercept if they're in behind, or head away if they're in the air. There was no flair or guile from any of our players either, none who had the magic to open a team up. Not until Gray came on.

We had quite literally one way of scoring yesterday and this is against a side who keeps clean sheets for fun. All it takes is one mistake (which sure enough we delivered very early doors) and the entire plan is ruined. You can't have so little attacking threat combined with a proven to be unreliable defence and expect anything other than defeat.

It's the second league game in a row I've come away from the ground and wondered where in Ranieri's eyes, barring a freak such as a 30 yarder or defensive howler, was a Leicester goal going to come from.

It was complete garbage.

This is so true unfortunately. Im a huge Ranieri fan and this is so true.

Its almost like no thought is given to partnerships within the team. The striker positions this season for example. There just seems to be any random combination of striker A and B on any given day without any thoughts to how they will play together, their movement etc.

Its very rare unless Okazaki plays that anyone ever gets in between the lines. No one inbetween the lines means the ball has to travel greater distances to make a pass. Which lowers the chance of it coming off. Similarly, someone inbetween the lines can drag a defender away with him and make space for a forward to move into.

Against Boro for example, Mahrez was playing in some weird false 9 position, while Ulloa (of all people) was playing as an inside forward on the right. The team had no width that day and youre playing a big centre forward in a totally alien position??

Against Chelsea, probably 4 times in the first half Albrighton put a quality ball into a dangerous area to be attacked. And theres no Ulloa in the team.  Why arent balls being threaded through?

Why would you play Fuchs AND Chilwell who both occupy the same position, but then choose to play one as a centreback, and not an actual centreback instead?

And the passing is just abysmal. I get that possession isnt everything, but there are times where youve got to be able to pass the ball. Receive it in tight areas and keep hold of it. Heck, sometimes you just need a spell of "aimless" possession to have a rest.

I remember watching an FA Cup game v Forest away, 0-0 draw and it was some of the worst technical football ever, players who could not pass to a team mate if their life depended on it. It feels like that now, half the time players dont even want the ball, all you get is a panic stricken prod forward in the general direction of someone.

Whats the idea with the pressing? its got to be either a high press, or a solid shape. Personally, i am not a high pressing game fan. But we dont get either. We get a half arsed pressing game where players wander around leaving gaps everywhere to be passed around.

And to cap it all off, that free kick routine they did that nearly led to a goal, Musa stood right next to Hazard and decided he would wander off to who knows where just as they were going to take it leaving one of the most dangerous players in world football about 8 yards of space on the edge of the box. Just concentrate ffs.

Shambolic

5 hours ago, Donut said:

Its almost like no thought is given to partnerships within the team. The striker positions this season for example. There just seems to be any random combination of striker A and B on any given day without any thoughts to how they will play together, their movement etc.

Its very rare unless Okazaki plays that anyone ever gets in between the lines. No one inbetween the lines means the ball has to travel greater distances to make a pass. Which lowers the chance of it coming off. Similarly, someone inbetween the lines can drag a defender away with him and make space for a forward to move into.

Against Boro for example, Mahrez was playing in some weird false 9 position, while Ulloa (of all people) was playing as an inside forward on the right. The team had no width that day and youre playing a big centre forward in a totally alien position??

Against Chelsea, probably 4 times in the first half Albrighton put a quality ball into a dangerous area to be attacked. And theres no Ulloa in the team.  Why arent balls being threaded through?

Why would you play Fuchs AND Chilwell who both occupy the same position, but then choose to play one as a centreback, and not an actual centreback instead?

And the passing is just abysmal. I get that possession isnt everything, but there are times where youve got to be able to pass the ball. Receive it in tight areas and keep hold of it. Heck, sometimes you just need a spell of "aimless" possession to have a rest.

I remember watching an FA Cup game v Forest away, 0-0 draw and it was some of the worst technical football ever, players who could not pass to a team mate if their life depended on it. It feels like that now, half the time players dont even want the ball, all you get is a panic stricken prod forward in the general direction of someone.

Whats the idea with the pressing? its got to be either a high press, or a solid shape. Personally, i am not a high pressing game fan. But we dont get either. We get a half arsed pressing game where players wander around leaving gaps everywhere to be passed around.

And to cap it all off, that free kick routine they did that nearly led to a goal, Musa stood right next to Hazard and decided he would wander off to who knows where just as they were going to take it leaving one of the most dangerous players in world football about 8 yards of space on the edge of the box. Just concentrate ffs.

Shambolic

Great post, especially the lack of movement between the lines. This, plus the lack of pressing / positioning, which you also mentioned, is the biggest problem we have this season. There is literally no cohesion or movement across the entire team. Ball retention has been non-existent this season, which has resulted in waves of pressure against a fragile and creaking defence. If Kasper hadn't been in such good form this season, I really worry what our stats would look like. 

It really tells on the pitch too. I can't think of one player who looks like he is enjoying himself this season. Says it all really when we have no joy in the team. 

That was a senior moment from CR don't know what the hell he was thinking but we had 3 player away at the AFCOM,
so why play some of the others out of position and in a new formation against the best team in the PL at the moment?
When after 15 mins it was not working CR should have brought on Simpson and change it back to 4-4-2.
(headless chickens springs to mind!!!!)

Am i the only person who didn't think we were actually terrible? Every one keeps saying change formation change formation, he does and he gets stick for that. This Chelsea side is unreal and will smash many more sides this season. We did ok against lesser opposition we would have been fine. chill the F out. 

4 minutes ago, Wilson_6 said:

Am i the only person who didn't think we were actually terrible? Every one keeps saying change formation change formation, he does and he gets stick for that. This Chelsea side is unreal and will smash many more sides this season. We did ok against lesser opposition we would have been fine. chill the F out. 

Probably. :dry:

This forum can f*&k off does my head in sometimes. so negative. we were unbeaten in 3 before Saturday. Thrashed man city just a few weeks ago lose to the champions elect and were shit again? I'll be back on here after we win as you wont all be mardy arses/ Although some of you even complain when we win so i wont hold my breath... Roll on the abuse. but to be honest i really dont care think some people need to grow up big time.

7 minutes ago, Wilson_6 said:

This forum can f*&k off does my head in sometimes. so negative. we were unbeaten in 3 before Saturday. Thrashed man city just a few weeks ago lose to the champions elect and were shit again? I'll be back on here after we win as you wont all be mardy arses/ Although some of you even complain when we win so i wont hold my breath... Roll on the abuse. but to be honest i really dont care think some people need to grow up big time.

Another happy clapper who doesn't see the bigger picture going on here! 

5 minutes ago, elvisfmcfly said:

Another happy clapper who doesn't see the bigger picture going on here! 

oh being positive about stuff makes me a happy clapper? Bore off mate. 

Bigger picture? Go on then mate what is the bigger picture about slagging off our central midfielders, slagging off the man who won Leicester City the ****ing premier league last season? 3 players away in the Afcon? Playing a top top side what the hell were you expecting us to thrash Chelsea? 

Have you even ever played football before? 

If anyone has any hate, just think that last season we were top and playing the likes of Chelsea, Liverpool who were not in form and winning. It's just a straight switch, they are now in form and we are not. It was an obvious loss, but the team fought well.

Cause it's not just about this one game is it? It's about the whole ****ing shambles since we won the league,pre season the signings in wrong areas 70% fit when the season started,Ranieri's tactics.Then just when we look like we are starting to turn a corner with a 4 3 3,2 wins and 2 clean sheets in 3 games,he goes and changes to 3 5 2 we are easily beaten and any momentum we had going as gone.Do not blame the AFCON it was not sprung on us in a surprise.We all knew it was coming.I wasn't expecting us to beat Chelsea but I was expecting to give them a game and make them break a sweat.

Just now, Wilson_6 said:

Bigger picture? Go on then mate what is the bigger picture about slagging off our central midfielders, slagging off the man who won Leicester City the ****ing premier league last season? 3 players away in the Afcon? Playing a top top side what the hell were you expecting us to thrash Chelsea? 

Who you even ever played football before? 

Weren't you the one who talked about chilling out?

The CBs aren't doing well since the beginning of the season. New rules, lack of cover from the midfied and age exposed them. They're slow and can't pass forward. Or make a more than 5 yards pass. That's below Premier League standard. 

Two of Chelsea's goals are on them. 

P.S: I did play football.

The players sound like they've turned into Ranieri :ph34r:

“It’s a disappointment because we played against a big team in Chelsea,” Mendy told LCFC TV after the game. 

“Chelsea played well but we conceded a goal in the first few minutes. It’s very difficult to react after the goal, so the team are not happy.” 

Despite the defeat, Mendy felt there were plus points to take from the game, as his side now prepare for a Premier League trip to Southampton on Sunday. 

The midfielder added: “It was difficult for us, but everything is not too bad. We will work hard this week for the next game. 

“This game is finished, so it’s important now to be concentrated for the next game. It’s important to make a big reaction.”

Claudio made a mistake right from the start by trying to match Chelski's formation with the defenders and others  not used to playing that way.it was always going to be difficult particularly if we conceded early which we did.

37 minutes ago, Wilson_6 said:

Have you even ever played football before? 

This post would be decent if we were simply beaten by the better team. Unfortunately that wasn't the case.

Did you not see players like Fuchs screaming at his team mates and the bench for instruction as to what the system was, Who was playing where etc?

First half I thought we were the better team. What fvcked us up was the Huth substitution. Nobody knew what the new tactic was when Okazaki came on.

It was a complete mess tactically and fans have a right to feel angry. Sunday league football isn't as shambolic as that. Im all for taking positives out of a defeat (Gray being the only positive imo) but when the players looked so clueless as to what was going on around them it was just embarrassing.

To simply say  'This Chelsea side is unreal and will smash many more sides this season' is such a cop out. There was much more to our defeat than simply 'they were the better side'.

For me that defeat rests solely on Ranieri. I wont be too upset though as I have been one of the fans who has wanted to see a change from 4-4-2 but the game management just wasn't there. Looks like the players didn't work on the tactics in training (Ranieri's fault).

You cant complain when people have a moan at the players and Ranieri for what was the worse performance of the season. Winning the league doesn't mean they have earned a pass from any criticism.

I don't think anybody expected to thrash Chelsea. The fact it was so easy for them is what annoys people. 

1 hour ago, Wilson_6 said:

Is unbeaten in three something to actually crow about? That three contained a FA CUP win, a woeful performance against Boro and a scraped win against West Ham. Before that we lost to Everton and were awful, drew at Stoke after being 2 down, woeful Bournemouth performance, woeful Porto performance, woeful Sunderland performance

Man City was a one off, brought about by their manager being an arrogant ****. Most of the other games we've just been plain terrible and shown so few signs of actually looking like a team capable of playing well together.

3 minutes ago, kingcarr21 said:

This post would be decent if we were simply beaten by the better team. Unfortunately that wasn't the case.

Did you not see players like Fuchs screaming at his team mates and the bench for instruction as to what the system was, Who was playing where etc?

First half I thought we were the better team. What fvcked us up was the Huth substitution. Nobody knew what the new tactic was when Okazaki came on.

It was a complete mess tactically and fans have a right to feel angry. Sunday league football isn't as shambolic as that. Im all for taking positives out of a defeat (Gray being the only positive imo) but when the players looked so clueless as to what was going on around them it was just embarrassing.

To simply say  'This Chelsea side is unreal and will smash many more sides this season' is such a cop out. There was much more to our defeat than simply 'they were the better side'.

For me that defeat rests solely on Ranieri. I wont be too upset though as I have been one of the fans who has wanted to see a change from 4-4-2 but the game management just wasn't there. Looks like the players didn't work on the tactics in training (Ranieri's fault).

You cant complain when people have a moan at the players and Ranieri for what was the worse performance of the season. Winning the league doesn't mean they have earned a pass from any criticism.

I don't think anybody expected to thrash Chelsea. The fact it was so easy for them is what annoys people. 

Did Chelsea look like they ever even needed to come out of second gear to turn us over? They looked so comfortable it was unreal.

Calm down peeps. ..

We competed... in a formation that will take time.  Chelsea finished their chances. We were not creative enought to make any... this due to them and to our lack of creativity and in ability to play tappy and pass thru the channels.  So they won.. in 2nd gear.

The positives were the commitment and energy of pappy and ndidi. ... theis is a new chapter for us and i think we will get it right and earn points. 

2 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Did Chelsea look like they ever even needed to come out of second gear to turn us over? They looked so comfortable it was unreal.

Cahill and Luiz never had it so easy. Really bad day for us. I just don't see where our next win is coming from. Up against Van Dijk next who is probably the best defender in the league at the moment. Lets hope Southampton will have to earn the 3 points and not be handed them on a silver platter like chelsea

8 hours ago, Donut said:

Shambolic

Absolutely spot on

1 hour ago, Wilson_6 said:

Second that!

Archived