Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Steven

Leicester City v Chelsea post match thread 0 - 3

11 minutes ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

Not really no, come down mate. Stop thinking we are Barca or Real, we still have a long way to go to be there. The young players we are signing though have huge potential and I think we can establish ourselves in this league and stay there

Maybe that's what I need to do, I'm a little pissed more ways than one. Have no objection to fellow fans, including u, just the abject sh@t served up by the manager and team this year. In a way I'm ok if we go down, trouble is we've spent £££ and have loads of £££ wages we won't survive long down there now I think. We'd need instant promotion or really risk going bust.  

We've spent more in 12 months than probably the previous 12 years or more. 

12 minutes ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

That doesn't help. Ranieri knows what he is doing, I trust him and why shouldn't I giving he did the impossible last season 

I trust him too, but if he thought today was a good performance then I hope he is fibbing, as that's just simply untrue. Prefer him to just say we were below par and we must do better. 

Just now, squidsworth said:

Maybe that's what I need to do, I'm a little pissed more ways than one. Have no objection to fellow fans, including u, just the abject sh@t served up by the manager and team this year. In a way I'm ok if we go down, trouble is we've spent £££ and have loads of £££ wages we won't survive long down there now I think. We'd need instant promotion or really risk going bust.  

We've spent more in 12 months than probably the previous 12 years or more. 

I can't see us going down, 5 points clear and only 19 points needed for the magical 40. We did spend but not much, certainly nothing compared to the elite.

oh 

That tells me we aren't looking to be there yet really, last season was unbelievable, but we have spent like we had just got promoted rather than become champions of England. We are looking to establish ourselves in this division, and have some remarkable players and manager to do that.  

Is anyone else concerned that we have five defensive minded central midfielders and zero attacking ones?

Ndidi, Mendy, Drinkwater, King, Amartey all what I consider to be defensive central midfielders being far closer to the back 4 than up in support of Vardy/Musa/Slim etc.

Playing three of the above five just makes our attack seem almost non existent and results in us overly relying on Mahrez to provide that creative spark to get us a goal.

Its worrying stuff and seems worse coming off the back of the mostly superb attacking play of last season. 

We just did nothing today really. Competitive in the 1st half without posing much threat, unlucky perhaps to concede such an early goal but completely abject in the second half.

Found myself thinking earlier that we'll be fine as the players will try harder if we flirt with relegation too much and the threat of a relegation clause wage decrease will kick them into action.

A very disappointing thought only eight months after being crowned champions.

Yeah that was terrible, i'm still (like others) pretty concerned at how long it's taking Claudio to get his head around this season - almost feels like we're reacting tactically to problems like four games too late - and that doesn't bode well in the Premier League, very concerning we could be in a bit of trouble come March...

I liked the change in system but it was just painfully apparent that the starting 11 weren't ready to execute it properly - we ended up flat 6-4-1 most of the time due to Chelsea's exceptional pressing play - and despite having 6 back they still found holes with remarkable ease. N'Didi and Mendy just got in each others way all the time, they couldn't operate together and that led us to more of a 6-3-1. Vardy isn't getting any service because Drinky is having to drop back so deep this year to try and mop up the ball as well - where as we've all said that was all Kante did last season. Huth and Morgan with the new rules as well aren't going to be effective enough anymore, sure Huthy can do a job but sadly Wes is just looking more and more shaky as we move forward it seems.

One thing we have to consider is the fact that perhaps this season Ranieri realised that our high-tempo pressing game would have burned us out (with the addition of the Champions League of course and the extra games) so he's looked to address that early and change that element of our game - the problem is we're not good at any other way of playing football with this side.

I'm really thinking we might need to gamble now and roll the dice - we're an attractive proposition now with a couple of Champs League games left, current Premier League champions, signing someone like Silmani (despite how good or not he has been - remember delivery here) who is seen as a top draw striker - we have the elements in place to remain a pretty "big" club - but that ends if we go down this year, we're back a load of steps and we'll need to build a new side in a much more difficult scenario. I hate suggesting we have to move Claudio on, it's not something I take any sort of kicks of saying as i could never thank him enough for last season - but this is a huge time in our club and the ship is very steadily sinking...

Roberto Mancini?

7 minutes ago, maddog said:

Is anyone else concerned that we have five defensive minded central midfielders and zero attacking ones?

Ndidi, Mendy, Drinkwater, King, Amartey all what I consider to be defensive central midfielders being far closer to the back 4 than up in support of Vardy/Musa/Slim etc.

Playing three of the above five just makes our attack seem almost non existent and results in us overly relying on Mahrez to provide that creative spark to get us a goal.

Its worrying stuff and seems worse coming off the back of the mostly superb attacking play of last season. 

We just did nothing today really. Competitive in the 1st half without posing much threat, unlucky perhaps to concede such an early goal but completely abject in the second half.

Found myself thinking earlier that we'll be fine as the players will try harder if we flirt with relegation too much and the threat of a relegation clause wage decrease will kick them into action.

A very disappointing thought only eight months after being crowned champions.

Didn't work today because Drinkwater played so deep and on the right side. He should have been sat infront of N'diddi and Mendy and been the link between midfield and attack. 

We definitely need a creative number 10 though or just an attacking CM, if Amartey can do a job at CB. 

We're just not what we were, but we can't afford to be left behind in the glory that once was.

Apathy is like a cancer that spreads without you even realising, it's too late to react when u finally realise everything is rotten. 

The time to react is now, before it's too late? But I'm just a pissed and pissed off fan. Good night, god bless.

Shocked at how easy it was.

I mean, i predicted a 2-0 win for us (Chelsea) after a tight match, but this game was ridiculously easy for us,huge concern for you guys though, considering how some people were saying that he have been found out and were not all that, maybe the players thought the same?

23 minutes ago, TAFKA Castroneves said:

Yeah that was terrible, i'm still (like others) pretty concerned at how long it's taking Claudio to get his head around this season - almost feels like we're reacting tactically to problems like four games too late - and that doesn't bode well in the Premier League, very concerning we could be in a bit of trouble come March...

I liked the change in system but it was just painfully apparent that the starting 11 weren't ready to execute it properly - we ended up flat 6-4-1 most of the time due to Chelsea's exceptional pressing play - and despite having 6 back they still found holes with remarkable ease. N'Didi and Mendy just got in each others way all the time, they couldn't operate together and that led us to more of a 6-3-1. Vardy isn't getting any service because Drinky is having to drop back so deep this year to try and mop up the ball as well - where as we've all said that was all Kante did last season. Huth and Morgan with the new rules as well aren't going to be effective enough anymore, sure Huthy can do a job but sadly Wes is just looking more and more shaky as we move forward it seems.

One thing we have to consider is the fact that perhaps this season Ranieri realised that our high-tempo pressing game would have burned us out (with the addition of the Champions League of course and the extra games) so he's looked to address that early and change that element of our game - the problem is we're not good at any other way of playing football with this side.

I'm really thinking we might need to gamble now and roll the dice - we're an attractive proposition now with a couple of Champs League games left, current Premier League champions, signing someone like Silmani (despite how good or not he has been - remember delivery here) who is seen as a top draw striker - we have the elements in place to remain a pretty "big" club - but that ends if we go down this year, we're back a load of steps and we'll need to build a new side in a much more difficult scenario. I hate suggesting we have to move Claudio on, it's not something I take any sort of kicks of saying as i could never thank him enough for last season - but this is a huge time in our club and the ship is very steadily sinking...

Roberto Mancini?

Good post, but we are 15th and 5 points above the bottom 3, so I don't think we are quite there yet. Today was very poor, but Chelsea will most likely win the league and we would always have struggled. I would like to see how we do against Southampton, especially if he learns from the mistakes made today. 

I would only consider sacking him if we drop into the bottom 3. I know that is a risk, but I don't think he has lost the dressing room or anything, I just think the players aren't firing and we are still trying to find a system that best suits us. We are capable of picking up a run of wins if we get the key ingredients right and as long as we stay relatively clear of danger, like we are now, then Claudio should stay in my opinion.

10/10 for Claudio for fitting in all 3 CMs, Chilwell in who has played well, Albrighton on the right and giving Musa another go. Unfortunately, it failed big time. We were disastrous in this game. So many players looked all over the shop and thats down to the formation change. Another game passes where Vardy doesnt score but again it cant go unnoticed that we can put a ball through for him to run on to and see him outpace the oppos defence and score.

My rating for Claudio dropped to 1/10 as he seemed to lose it tactically and didnt react. It may be me but I thought at one stage Drinky was arguing with him as they tried to shuffle the pack after substitutions. Ndidi who did some lovely things in central midfield and looks a prospect and a half pushed to central defence was a killer for me. We should have switched to a 442 at half time and subbed Fuchs and Mendy for maybe Gray and Simpson pushing Albrighton into his pre-Leicester position of right mid. He just looks so much better on that side of the pitch.

Overall, it was probably a free role. CR thought we wouldnt beat them so gambled tactically, the players played like they thought that we would lose and dare I say it the fans were as quiet as I have known for a while. I know we were a goal down early but still we were so quiet today.

Lets move on to the next game!

Claudio got it wrong, It's as simple as that. We never really posed a threat at all or even looked like creating something & that Is the most worrying thing for me.  

Ndidi was the standout player amongst a bad bunch! Chilwell also gave a fairly reasonable performance & his ability to win balls in the air is unreal. 

For a good 20 minute period in the second half it was laughable. There was literally no formation whatsoever & at times the players look confused as to where they were supposed to be. 

Considering the run of games that we have coming up after the next 6 I can see us being in the bottom 3. 

4 hours ago, blueharmie said:

Did last season really happen??? 

I'm seriously questioning if i'm in a Coma and last seasons dream has turned into this seasons nightmare.

I can't understand last season, I simply can't, this cannot be the same team, they cannot have become this bad, just not possible.

I made the 'joke' a few weeks ago about it's not a case of what's happened to Wes Morgan this season, it's a case of what happened to him last season, well that applies to the rest of the players now aswell.

I think it says alot about how bad the other teams actually were last season, but even that doesn't make sense, they can't have been that bad surely?!

Guest Danny Clender

Claudio had a shocker, an absolute shocker.

The team didn't really help either.

Nobody looked comfortable in the formation, then again nobody looked as if they were prepared to give it a go.

Also, I think some of the players were working to what they'd been told i.e 'work to rule'

That can only explain why Drinkwater still thinks the ball over the top to Vardy still works, he seems a clever bloke, surely he knows it does not work, I can only assume he's following orders.

Vardy's positioning, he knows he won't score from hanging on to the last defender like yesterday, it doesn't work like it used to, so why is he not varying his positioning, again he must be following orders. 

Musa's inability to get the ball back to him, Albrighton's balls into the box with nobody there, Fuchs unable to play the ball out all came from dodgy orders. 

Other than Kasper, Ndidi and Huth I didn't see one other player that looked comfortable in their positions. 

I reckon had Ranieri not turned up yesterday, it would have looked vastly different in formation and positioning.

The Everton game should have been a great example of how to move forward, but we went backwards.

Claudio's success at Leicester came from not tinkering.

Whilst I know he needs to tinker and adjust his team, yesterday he slipped back into the territory that's seen him lose countless jobs needlessly. 

We are short of match winners at the momemt. Made even worse by AFCON but in that side yesterday who did we have that consistently can come up with a bit of magic to turn a game.  Vardy hasn't really hit the same heights. But look at Chelsea even without Costa they have Hazard Willian Pedro and players like Alonso who can chip in. 

Man u have lots Spurs have a few Arsenal, man city.

Goals win games. we need someone world class as a creative spark and a CB and we need them this window

OK now it's calmed down a bit

• He got it wrong, but if you don't fail you don't learn
  • As the neutrals said on MOTD the Chelsea front three were fantastic
  • Should have reverted to a back four at half time
  • Chilwell, Mendy,Ndidi did ok
  • Vardy and Musa got little service
  • Drinkwater hasn't been up to his usual standard
  • Huth and Morgan............ You Decide
  • For 20 minutes in the First Half we looked ok
  • 2nd goal killed the game
  • It was Chelsea we got beat by, the future Champions

Let's get real people we weren't 5000/1 last season for nothing..................... we are a mid table team at best

onwards and upwards................ move on  :thumbup:

Perhaps 4-3-3 next time Claudio :fc:

Image result for to try and fail gif

1 hour ago, Chico1958 said:

OK now it's calmed down a bit

• He got it wrong, but if you don't fail you don't learn
  • As the neutrals said on MOTD the Chelsea front three were fantastic
  • Should have reverted to a back four at half time
  • Chilwell, Mendy,Ndidi did ok
  • Vardy and Musa got little service
  • Drinkwater hasn't been up to his usual standard
  • Huth and Morgan............ You Decide
  • For 20 minutes in the First Half we looked ok
  • 2nd goal killed the game
  • It was Chelsea we got beat by, the future Champions

Let's get real people we weren't 5000/1 last season for nothing..................... we are a mid table team at best

onwards and upwards................ move on  :thumbup:

Perhaps 4-3-3 next time Claudio :fc:

Image result for to try and fail gif

I think most except that, what we don't expect (especially after last season) is these pathetic performances, we don't expect or except is playing like relegation candidates and being in a relegation battle.

I excepted we'd probably lose yesterday, a draw would be the very best we could hope for but I expected to give them a match, a better performance than that, people say 'It was Chelsea'...Yes it was but it's been happening all bloody season, poor performances and games we shouldn't really be losing

People keep saying 'Swansea, Hull, Sunderland are doggo', 'There's worse teams than us', e.t.c....Atleast they're grinding out results, Hull came back from being 1 down against Bournemouth yesterday, barr Everton last week in the cup, Stoke, has anyone seen anything to suggest we'd do that? Because when we go 1 down this season the game may aswell be over cos I don't see us fighting and coming back. To add to that 2 of those 'doggo' teams, those 'worse teams than us' have beat us.

We can all sugar coat it that it was Chelsea yesterday but come on, look at the bigger picture.

To those calling for Ranieri's head, be careful what you wish for.

OK so the 2nd half performance was particularly poor but we are likely to stay up so does it really matter if we finish say 9th or 17th considering last season's acheivement?

I'm happy that we experimented in the league and use it to learn from our mistakes for our Champions League / FA Cup campaign.

5 hours ago, ozleicester said:

Ranieri tried something...it failed.

Drinkwater out of form

Vardy out of form

Three main reasons for failure

Vardy hardly touched the ball because he had zero service. Did he even have an effort on goal?

2 minutes ago, peterborofox said:

Think we could still be playing now and wouldn't score. 

Probably the easiest Gk display the opposition has had at our place in a while. 

Nothing up front at all 

Why do you think I got as many Chelsea defenders and the keeper in my fantasy team and made 1 of them captain. Too easy.

...Just a shame one of them wasn't Alonso :doh:

It was just a really bad day at the office for everyone, it was summed up for me when he brought Okazaki on and took Huth off and I watched Fuchs wave his arms in the air in confusion before shouting over to Wes to see what was happening only for Wes to reply by putting his hands up to say "god knows". 

:wes:

In the absence of Mahrez I was disappointed to see that gray didn't start...we looked so flat and desperately needed someone who can actually take players on.. he looked dangerous for the 15 odd minutes he was on. 

Archived