Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Steven

Leicester City v Chelsea post match thread 0 - 3

Just now, jon1bc said:

In the absence of Mahrez I was disappointed to see that gray didn't start...we looked so flat and desperately needed someone who can actually take players on.. he looked dangerous for the 15 odd minutes he was on. 

Literally the only player who looked like he wanted to go forward.

That was pretty desperate. To not create a single chance in the game - a home game - is absolutely unacceptable and is symptomatic of yet another game where we've set up way too defensively.

From the moment they scored we had no chance of getting anything out of the game. Even in the first half (which appeared more even), Chelsea were easily keeping us at arm's length and the stalemate which ensued suited them perfectly.

Last season we based our success on fast, simple counter-attacking, taking a direct but sensible way to goal. These days our game plan seems to be exclusively about winning throw-ins on the left wing. All it takes to foil that particularly unattractive plan is a goalkeeper with a brain cell and unfortunately for us Courtois seemed to understand that it's a piece of cake for a 6 foot 6 goalkeeper to deal with our only "threat".

Pretty much the only thing I got excited about all game was Ndidi winning a tackle in the centre of the pitch and then playing a (wait for it) FORWARD PASS to Musa. The rest of the time as soon as we won the ball we just turned around and passed it backwards to Huth or Morgan, who are absolutely woeful in possession.

29 minutes ago, jon1bc said:

In the absence of Mahrez I was disappointed to see that gray didn't start...we looked so flat and desperately needed someone who can actually take players on.. he looked dangerous for the 15 odd minutes he was on. 

Agree. We needed at least someone on the park who is creative and unpredictable.

Perhaps the Italian was playing for the draw again.

5 minutes ago, ttfn said:

That was pretty desperate. To not create a single chance in the game - a home game - is absolutely unacceptable and is symptomatic of yet another game where we've set up way too defensively.

From the moment they scored we had no chance of getting anything out of the game. Even in the first half (which appeared more even), Chelsea were easily keeping us at arm's length and the stalemate which ensued suited them perfectly.

Last season we based our success on fast, simple counter-attacking, taking a direct but sensible way to goal. These days our game plan seems to be exclusively about winning throw-ins on the left wing. All it takes to foil that particularly unattractive plan is a goalkeeper with a brain cell and unfortunately for us Courtois seemed to understand that it's a piece of cake for a 6 foot 6 goalkeeper to deal with our only "threat".

Pretty much the only thing I got excited about all game was Ndidi winning a tackle in the centre of the pitch and then playing a (wait for it) FORWARD PASS to Musa. The rest of the time as soon as we won the ball we just turned around and passed it backwards to Huth or Morgan, who are absolutely woeful in possession.

Couldn't have put it better myself.  There was so little attacking threat again that it's getting worrying.

8 hours ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

I don't agree, we are without mahrez the PFA player of the year and slimani our most expensive player and still I thought we were in the game and did well. We were playing the best team in the league who spent far more than we did on players. 

They are better and far bigger, we are just building as a team. It is crazy saying that, giving we won the league but that was beyond anyone's expectations, we are new to the PL. Let's establish ourselves at this level, come down from that cloud 

1st half we played OK  but the 2nd was so poor. Like I said, I have no issue losing to Chelsea but we should make them work for it. You mentioned being without Mahrez and Slim, Chelsea were without Costa and didn't even have a recognised striker on the pitch 

Only saw the first half on telly, but thought we looked pretty solid except for being completely toothless up front. Chelsea were ruthless and scored on their only chance and then started 2nd half scoring on their next chance, which didn't makes things easier. That said; I am getting really frustrated being run over on a regular basis. These 3-0, 4-1 and 5-0 defeats are embarrassing especially as they happen way too often this season. Also, why the frick do we hoof it and cross it to our 2 midget strikers; we must be the worst passing side in the league and that is just not good enough.

I know we probably never will have a season like the last one, but these complete surrender performances are just too many and we are definitely in a relegation fight as long, as we keep having these.

I'm with previous posters. I want to know where the pressing and hunger to win the 2nd ball has gone. That's the big difference for me and has nothing to do with tactics and formations.

The 2nd half was a training session for Chelsea as we stood off and admired them. 

5 minutes ago, ttfn said:

Exactly this.  The ball would end up at Morgan who can't decide what to do with it so either he or Kasper end up kicking the ball back to the other team.  I noticed Drinky more times than not would receive the ball from the defenders really close to them with his back to goal and would have little time to make anything happen before he gets closed down.

This formation might work against the mid to bottom teams if we can get the ball foward by our midfield running into the other half rather than lumping it at every chance or to the wing backs to get the crosses or cut backs in.

1 hour ago, jon1bc said:

Vardy hardly touched the ball because he had zero service. Did he even have an effort on goal?

Nope. Only shots came from Chilwell twice, Ndidi, Fuchs and Gray. 

Not the first game this season where our strikers have not had one shot at all. Hell, Vardy went 3 months without a shot on target.

13 minutes ago, Raj said:

Must have been something good on TV after 75 minutes as half our loyal fan base ran out!!!

I bet They all had to go to work or catch the last train home or them 15 minutes makes then get home an hour earlier 

First half I thought we played reasonably well after we regained our composure form the early goal. Chilwell was pushing Moses back & we got the ball into their final third consistently & sometimes for sustained periods, albeit without really fashioning any clear chances. Second half we fell away though. I thought we looked tired from about 60 mins onwards and weren't able to pressure the ball and stood off allowing Chelsea far too much time to pick & choose their passes. When the team was announced I did wonder how we would create opportunities given we had neither Ulloa or Slimani available for Albrighton to hit which meant unless Drinkwater could put Vardy or Musa through catching Chelsea high up the pitch we would struggle. And our main threat in the 1st half indeed looked to be limited to the chances of an own goal from the 2 or 3 goal mouth incidents from low crossed balls we put in. 

The BBC stats tell us Chelsea had 8 shots, with 3 of those on target for their 65% possession, whilst we had 7 shots with 2 on target. That would be Musa in the 1st half and Fuchs at the end of the second I'd imagine.

Overall not so bad then.

2 minutes ago, Bablemikey said:

First half I thought we played reasonably well after we regained our composure form the early goal. Chilwell was pushing Moses back & we got the ball into their final third consistently & sometimes for sustained periods, albeit without really fashioning any clear chances. Second half we fell away though. I thought we looked tired from about 60 mins onwards and weren't able to pressure the ball and stood off allowing Chelsea far too much time to pick & choose their passes. When the team was announced I did wonder how we would create opportunities given we had neither Ulloa or Slimani available for Albrighton to hit which meant unless Drinkwater could put Vardy or Musa through catching Chelsea high up the pitch we would struggle. And our main threat in the 1st half indeed looked to be limited to the chances of an own goal from the 2 or 3 goal mouth incidents from low crossed balls we put in. 

The BBC stats tell us Chelsea had 8 shots, with 3 of those on target for their 65% possession, whilst we had 7 shots with 2 on target. That would be Musa in the 1st half and Fuchs at the end of the second I'd imagine.

Overall not so bad then.

I think when we really went to shambles was when Huth went off and our defenders are standing with arms in the air to the bench asking how to play, our defense suddenly became 2 left backs a centre back and a right midfielder 

Wow just wow, I was actually bored second half. 3 0 with only 3 decent chances all game and absolutely nothing from us in the attacking third. 

I was was quite happy that he tried something pre match but it took time to settle and we conceded a sloppy goal. Rest of first half we did ok and sent us into the half with a little optimism that a bit of fight and we could get back in it. But that second half was dismal, like a dead rubber end of season match from us. When he took Huth off it felt like an end of season Sunday morning game when you draw names out of a hat to see who plays where, for 10 minutes we didn't have a clue. 

Not many posotives from a playing perspective. If we want to keep possession more can Kasper stop lumping it. Albrighton got a touch of theSimpsons and ended up playing right back and panicking on the ball. Centre backs can't play football which kills our chances of change to this type of system, when Ndidi went back there it was so refreshing to have a centre back who wanted the ball. Not saying he's the answer but a player or two who can do that is. 

Drinky is totally off the boil. I'm a huge fan but he's been poor for a good while now and yesterday was clueless. I still think he's our best midfielder so he needs to play centrally and be allowed to dictate the game not be chasing around at right midfield for half the game. 

Front two got so so little service but their movement was in the main poor. Vardy is a shadow of the aggressive striker we all loved, it can't just be a moment thing surely. 

Very very poor but we probably didn't expect too much from that game so leave it behind as next week is a much more winnable fixture for us. 

I agree with the comments regarding Demari Gray this kid looked hungry and with passion that we were missing the whole game he was amazing on the ball and he looked more hungry in the few minutes he was given than some on the pitch all game Claudio needs to trust him more !

was impressed with Ndidi he was solid at times and held the ball up well when given time what's happened to Drinky he didn't look his usual cool calm and collect type of player today played some well awful balls as did most of our squad who I actually thought helped Chelsea to a win !

Also Vardy looks a shadow of his former self from last season god knows what's up with him whether it's his new book the movie the birth of his child (and we've all been there !)

he needs to step up and start delivering the performances of last season again for over £100k a week i as an employer would expect a quality performance each game !

why have we gone from heroes to zeroes in such a short time and I'm not taking the Missing Kante bollx zee definitely need to replace our rear guard to give KASPER a bit more protection they need to have quality as Huth and Big Wes have lost the pace etc !

Yes it was a great unimaginable year last season which defied so many odds I didn't expect us to go and win it again this season but I did expect us to behave as champions and at least try to give out a title defence not the well it's in the cabinet now we don't have to try so hard attitude that they seem to have.

something really needs to happen in this window I we need to buy new replacements for the 2 CB but we will just have to wait and probably be as frustrated with the window closing and is not doing much business but I hope that's not the case.

Come on city pull your thumbs out of your arses and give at least the look of a champions defence of the title just as you played against Man City,let's get performances like that back and lose the jekyl and Hyde performances!

Knowing who and what you are as a team is such an important quality. Might not bring you wins every week but knowing your identity as a team should be at the core to every club. Take a look at Burnley and Bournemouth as 2 closer options to us. Personnel can change but fundamentally tge system remains primarily. We seem to have amended our identity from last season and now cant fathom what we are. Our natural attacking instincts have been replaced with caution (yes, kante going has a lot to do with that). Also, the backwards pass particularly to Kasper is hiding the insecurities on the field. 

Archived