Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Steven

Leicester City v Chelsea post match thread 0 - 3

That was a totally unacceptable performance from both the players and even more worryingly from the manager. Ok Chelsea are a very good side with very good players but frankly they made us look pathetic without even having to try. They could have played the second half without a keeper and still won.

Still we learn't a few things, none of which are very palatable to stomach as a Leicester fan

1 Three at the back doesn't look like it can work for us with the personnel we have.

2  Albrighton is and never will be a wing back

3  Drinkwater appears to be playing like a headless chicken

4  We have absolutely no creativity in midfield. Not one single player can run with the ball in forward direction.

5 Musa and Vardy can't play together up front

6 Long throws seem to be our only attacking threat at times and they simply don't work very often at this level.

7 We appear to have a manager who doesn't have a clue what to do. After the substitution of Huth we appeared to have players on the pitch who simply didn't know what they were doing. The set up was not only not working but was non-existent. I'm sorry but this is a serious failing of management and isn't acceptable at this level of the game.

Most worrying of all is the nature of the defeats. I don't mind losing to sides that are clearly better than us but there was no fight, no closing down, what looked like little effort, no attacking threat whatsoever. For those saying we won't go down keep burying your heads in the sand. Maybe we won't but we are sure in a relegation fight and our players don't look up for it and our manager doesn't seem to know how to deal with it.

On a positive note Ndidi didn't do too badly considering the shambles around him, Gray at least showed some attacking intent and Chilwell at least looked like he was bothered. As to the rest on the day a total waste of space.

1 minute ago, stevelcfc said:

Shout out to us fans who were at the game, the atmosphere is somehow getting worse, I know performances have been shocking and yesterday came close to topping the lot, but from the first min yesterday it was pathetic.

Dosent help when you get people moaning every time someone does something wrong. What's the point? It's not like it helps the players. Support your team for 90mins!! Moan after the game.

2 minutes ago, stevelcfc said:

Shout out to us fans who were at the game, the atmosphere is somehow getting worse, I know performances have been shocking and yesterday came close to topping the lot, but from the first min yesterday it was pathetic.

The drop in atmosphere is being noted in the Sunday papers today.  I think that was the lamest atmosphere in years, despite it being effectively a sell-out.  Conceding such an early goal didn't help and I really felt the lack of Birchy and the proper pre-match horn (oo-er missus) got us off on the wrong foot.

Somewhat disappointing. I can't grumble about team selection or system as this was pretty much what it wanted. In fairness I thought we did OK pin the first half (their goal aside). Wheels fell off later with other changes.

Ah well, didn't really expect any points out of this game. I hope Claudio gives this system (352) a chance to bed in in the future though. They obviously need some practice with it. Perhaps Gray to start instead of either Vardy or Musa though, and swap over at about 60 mins. Gray definitely seemed up for it when he came on. Needs to pass more though.

I agree that it was a pretty toothless performance yesterday, but I think some of the criticism has gone way over the top on this thread.  For starters, even if Ranieiri's experiment was unsuccessful, we should not even be thinking about sacking him this season.  If we get relegated, I'll revisit that.  We certainly deserved to lose, but not 3-0.  Chelsea looked to me like a side on their way to win the league.

I also do not understand those who think that Ndidi did not have a very solid PL debut.  I was impressed by him.  I also thought Mendy played ok.  Both of them get around the park and get stuck in, whilst not being scared to have the ball at their feet.  Drinky needs to work out how to play alongside them.

Although I am a big fan of both of them, I can't see how we successfully start both Chilwell and Fuchs.  For now, Morgan and Huth are all we've got in CD, although Ndidi looks like he could cover that position.

I know that Vardy seems almost immune from serious criticism for some and that he had little decent service, but I did not see the energy and never-say-die determination that brought such results last season.  Up front, I really felt that we missed Slimani.

Understandable if Gray is feeling hacked off. Agree that his defensive contribution needs work but so did/ does Mahrez.

Albrighton is off form yet is asked to play dual role on the right despite spending a title winning season on the left.

Chillwell did well considering but new to the side and first team football again whilst developing a big ask.

Fuchs starting to fade and asked to play in an unfamiliar role. Big Wez and Huth not playing to the fantastic standard they set last season, Father Time and all that.

Understand and like the formation, worked particularly well with MON but his back 3/5 was far more formidable 

At half time I thought we had showed enough to be in with a shout if we tried to find Vardy more down the right side. He had the legs of Cahill and we didn't exploit that. The second half was just a shambles. When Huth went off, half the team didn't know what they were supposed to do for several minutes. If anything, it showed that Morgan simply isn't good enough any more. We took no risks whatsoever, which is pointless against Chelsea; we are never going to snatch a 1-0 win. They were shaky when their back four was pressured but we didn't do enough to make them uncomfortable. Gray tried, but his final ball was lacking and the others don't seem to know what he's going to do; perhaps he's trying too hard. Pleased with Ndidi, who seems to have settled in quickly. Disappointed with Drinkwater, who looks flustered on the ball. A back 3 probably is the way forward, but not with these players. As a back 4 they at least have familiarity, which may make it the best option in the short term. We should break the bank and sign Van Dyke...

10 hours ago, squidsworth said:

Hmm, we already lost to 2 of the bottom 3, doesn't matter who we play, we're as bad as the worst of them. I bet all those down there will go on something of a Streak at some stage, whilst we'll be left in neutral like the whole of the season thus far. We're in real danger, you've seen it every season where 1 or 2 from the bottom three pick up, just like we once did. If they do, it'll be us in the firing line!

Understand what your saying. I'm just on about today's game. Chelsea just too good for us. 

Of course were still in danger, but I do think we will go on a run at some stage ourselves too. 

What's with this long throw shit. Amount to nothing and didn't cause any scoring chances. Hate see Kasper hoofing the ball aimlessly. .most of them went into touch.

Can't blame him though..we don't have confident players who can play ball out of defence..

I assume they addressed their tactical shortcomings at half time which showed in our poor second half. (They would have been unlikely to have prepared to face that formation ) 

We woudl have been better off changjng it at half time to keep them on the back foot from that perspective. It was too easy for a team at their level with their confidence levels high after taking the lead early.  Ironically, we would probably have been better off with costa playing as huth and Morgan would prefer a physical battle to the movement they actually faced. 

expecting a new formation to click straight away against that standard of opposition is a big punt. sh*t or bust and clearly we saw second half it was bust. 

As usual, rather an over reaction on here but we do have two very tough home fixtures to come and our away form is lamentable so we may struggle to pick up the half a dozen points we need before end Feb to keep the gap fairly comfortable. 

12 minutes ago, Arkie Bennett said:

At half time I thought we had showed enough to be in with a shout if we tried to find Vardy more down the right side. He had the legs of Cahill and we didn't exploit that. The second half was just a shambles. When Huth went off, half the team didn't know what they were supposed to do for several minutes. If anything, it showed that Morgan simply isn't good enough any more. We took no risks whatsoever, which is pointless against Chelsea; we are never going to snatch a 1-0 win. They were shaky when their back four was pressured but we didn't do enough to make them uncomfortable. Gray tried, but his final ball was lacking and the others don't seem to know what he's going to do; perhaps he's trying too hard. Pleased with Ndidi, who seems to have settled in quickly. Disappointed with Drinkwater, who looks flustered on the ball. A back 3 probably is the way forward, but not with these players. As a back 4 they at least have familiarity, which may make it the best option in the short term. We should break the bank and sign Van Dyke...

Tha was a reasonable post until the last sentence. even dick wouldn't come here! 

From that performance we may as well do away with the entire midfield and just have 5 at the back and 5 up front and just keep pumping the ball from the back to the front 5. With the law of averages we would be bound to get at least a couple of goals every game.

Go for a 5-0-5 formation

That "performance " is a waking call for CR to immediately make the paradigm shift needed to start looking like a PL side with sense and purpose.

If we don't, I am adamant come next transfer window we will loose Mahrez, he won't lay plans to waste his talent in a relegation fodder team, he is way too good for that.

Anyone else noticed that Kasper's distribution has not returned to its former glory since he came back from injury.  He is still a tremendous goalie and a huge influence for us, but he's got a bit wayward with the ball.

On Gray, I like him and see him as a future star for us.  He does seem to do best when he comes on a substitute, rather than when he is in the starting XI.  Not sure why that would be.

Bizarre.

Having slept on it. That's the only way I can describe it.

We haven't set up with 3 cb for almost 2 years from memory. Yet we chose to do it against a team with basically no out and out striker.

I'd love to know claudios reasoning for that. It just seemed such an odd thing to do. 3 cb effectively picking up no one and not one of them mobile enough to follow the likes of hazards movement.

Also taking of huth looked like we finally have a bit of a go but then Ndidi just seemed to drop back in and when Simpson came on. We essentially looked like we had a back 5 again. Simpson Ndidi wes fuchs and chillwell essentially stood in a arsenal style line at one point.

Also Ndidi and mendy playing should really free up drinky but that didn't seem to happen either.  Maybe that was down to the opposition.

But having set up 433 for a couple of games and looked a lot harder to beat. I can't fathom what the idea was yesterday. The players looked confused.

The club seems to have lost its way a little. Everything that seemed so good from top to bottom on and off the pitch last season seems to have splintered.

And what has happened to vardy. The whole reason he made it to the top was his desire and effort. But you wouldn't have known he was playing yesterday. 

I'm not going to blame the money. But I do wonder if his agent or close family have said to him. If you carry on running yourself into the ground you won't see out that 5 year deal.

Yesterday was just poor all round. I've got some right moaners near me. But yesterday I was on the verge of joining them. As much for what looked like a lack of direction and effort.

After watching that, I don't understand why we changed system again after having had some success with 4-3-3. The players looked lost yesterday. 3-5-2 could work, but must have players in right positions. Fuchs is no CB and Hernandez should have played there. Fuchs would have been better as the LWB as he can deliver the football. Musa can't play alongside Vardy as they are doing the same role.

No doubt we are in a relegation fight. We need to make sure we beat those around us. Hull and Sunderland at home are essential must wins later in the season.

Let's go back to 4-3-3 with Gray and Albrighton as the wide men, with maybe Musa alone down the middle. Please Claudio go and get us new CB ASAP!

I think we will squeeze just past 40 points, but it could be time to move beyond Claudio as he doesn't seem capable of building a team over time. He is also 65 and I would prefer a more youthful longer term solution.

I know it is said you should never go back but when it worked SO well - why not?

Same formation, same tactics and same players (Ndidi for Ngolo; Grey for Mahrez) . 

OK - it wouldn't work all the time ( other teams have sussed it - but still couldn't handle it) but it would get us more points than the ramshackke set-up used yesterday where none of the players knew their roles.

Ranieri will have to accept the blame on this one. Played a formation which no player looked comfortable or confident in it. Simple as that. 

We looked like we were getting some progress with 4-3-3, so bizarre. Ranieri tried to copy spurs but the difference was Spurs actually attacked rather than place 11 behind the ball. 

4 hours ago, Mapperleyfox said:

I'm with previous posters. I want to know where the pressing and hunger to win the 2nd ball has gone. That's the big difference for me and has nothing to do with tactics and formations.

The 2nd half was a training session for Chelsea as we stood off and admired them. 

If the players aren't happy with shape or selection, they won't go that extra yard. As simple as that. 

I'm not going to knock Ranieri for trying that system yesterday. I was one of the (many) who thought it looked ok, pre match.

No, for me yesterday, it was more about the players just not performing. Drinkwater looks a shadow of the player we saw last season, Wes and Huth are, let's face it, past it when played together, and we never came to terms really with their quick passing style of play.

Albrighton put in a couple of super crosses, but to whom? In Musa and Vardy, we have two of the quickest, but smallest players in the division, so why are we whipping-in HIGH crosses to the pair of them? The Chelsea defenders will probably not have an easier day all season.

I got the game plan personally. It was excecuted really really badly AND, on a day when Chelsea were also very very good.

The problem I have is this....I just don't think we have a particularly strong squad. Whatever formation we choose to play, I can't see the defence being strong enough and we are short of ideas going forward.

I still think we'll survive. The poor teams, very fortunately this season, are really poor. But I think we'll limp over the line with a few better performances, but primarily playing bang average football and then have to regroup over the summer.

What is clear is that the owners will again have to spend money, primarily on almost completely revamping the back four, which, I'm afraid, is looking too slow at this level.

Some of the comments on here surprise me. Leicester are too predictable and whilst on one maybe two brief occasions Chelsea were under pressure their game plan worked a treat.

They knew which areas Vardy was going to run into, they knew that by closing down any backpass the ball out was going to be wayward they clearly had worked on a positional play for the repeated long throw ins yet Leicester persevered with the same throughout and as the game progressed not only did frustration set in but it seemed Leicesters energy  levels dropped off

It was  obvious from the off that Moses and Alonso would provide width but time after time Alsono was on his own wide offering the outball and as was witnessed by him scoring 2 goals ( it said on MOTD he was only the third defender at Chelsea in the PL era to score two in a game) and  he easily could off scored 3. He quite simply was give freedom on a pitch that shouldn't happen at PL level.

Chelsea defended deep when needed they allow you possession and when you try to play through them they win the ball and the pace going forward is electric.

For me there were no possibles yesterday and when the manger suggests the team performance was good I can only scratch my head.

Archived