Izzy Posted 9 February 2017 Posted 9 February 2017 2 hours ago, foxfanazer said: How does last season's success impact your view and memories of the MON era? Regardless of last season, I'll always view the MON era as special times and great memories. The fact I was in my 'prime' then and went home and away, Wembley trips, Madrid etc. has probably got something to do with it. Now I'm older, moved away, young kids, bad health and don't get to games any more, means I probably didn't feel the same affinity to last season as those who were there in the flesh and witnessed it. Which will always be a regret I suppose. 2 hours ago, foxfanazer said: Does last seasons success obliterate those memories for you and are we currently in the real glory days? Or was it a one off fluke opposed to O'neill's sustained success? I see last season as fluke but who knows what the future holds? The last few years have been a roller coaster of emotions, where the MON years was a sustained period of relative success for us. Having said that, I'd trade in all the MON team achievements for the one off glory of last season every time. 2 hours ago, foxfanazer said: Will we have the same affinity to players like Mahrez and Vardy in 15 years time like we do with Izzet and Walsh etc? Possibly/probably. Depends who stays with us out of the current crop I guess. Not sure I can relate as much to the current players as I could 20 years ago though. There were no real superstars in the MON team, and apart from Mahrez on his day there aren't any in the current team for me (although some act like they think they are)
Crinklyfox Posted 9 February 2017 Posted 9 February 2017 The MON years can be regarded as an era because there was a sequence of several seasons with accompanying achievements. To my mind one year of Ranieri doesn't constitute an era, no matter how spectacular it was. But they were both great! I hope than in a few years time we can regard Ranieri's time as a fantastict era.
smr Posted 9 February 2017 Posted 9 February 2017 Thing is Walsh and Izzet didn't turn traitor or turn their backs on us, they left the club on good terms with the fans which is what makes them so endearing. If Vardy, Mahrez, Drinkwater and co. all played for the rest of their career at Leicester they'd be regarded in the same way pretty much, probably not as much so as Walsh and Izzet because they actually are big fans of the club, not sure whether the current players have that or would have that same fanboism.
pSinatra Posted 9 February 2017 Posted 9 February 2017 The problem I have when looking back at the Martin O'Neill era is that it's always done romantically. Reality seems to have been forgotten. Don't get me wrong, there were some absolutely amazing days during that period & I followed them all over the country & into Europe. But there were some absolutely dogshit performances too. It's the same when people talk about Filbert Street. We all remember the amazing atmosphere & games like the one against Arsenal & that time Alan Young played in goal against Shrewsbury in front of a full house. There were some great games, but we seem to conveniently forget about the shit, cold Wednesday nights losing to Oldham in front of 8,000. I started going down Filbert Street when Jock Wallace was there & I remember it fondly. We had a great season, won division 2, went up & came back down the next year. I remember it fondly, but the reality is that we weren't really very good at all. Gordon Milne was actually a better manager & he barely gets a mention. Martin O'Neill, up to that point in my life was our most successful manager. We won a couple of League Cups & finished around 8th every season. We played well in some games & we were awful in others. I've sat at Highbury & 5-0 down at half time. We were like Everton are now. We were never going to win the league, but we could maybe win a cup if we're lucky. We played attractive football occasionally, but we were better known for being masters of the set piece - because we played with 3 central defenders. Maybe we were more like West Brom? Martin O'Neill kept us in the Premier League for a few years & got us a couple of cups. Whatever feeling I had when Claridge shinned it in at Wembley or when he scuffed that goal at Hillsborough. When Cottee scored the winner at Old Trafford, Collymore's hat-trick, those 15 minutes at Pride Park. None of those feelings compare to what it felt like to win the Premier League. It may be short-lived, but we experienced something that the vast majority of fans in this country will never experience. I'd take last season over anything we ever achieved under O'Neill. In years to come we'll tell our grandchildren about last season, but it will be largely based on reality.
Guest Col city fan Posted 9 February 2017 Posted 9 February 2017 3 hours ago, Babylon said: So hard to say, being about 18 when the O'Neill years started, going home and away and living and breathing football for years was incredible. My only issue with last season was that I never really had that chance to celebrate with the team when it happened. Eg. Winning play offs or winning cup finals and being there at that very moment. We won the league with me sat at home in my pants Please don't type posts that evoke quite horrendous images! (Why were you at home in your pants?)
chicagofox Posted 9 February 2017 Posted 9 February 2017 Last seasons success should have absolutely no impact on anyone's views of the Martin O'Neill era. Why would it? It didn't change the past?
foxfanazer Posted 9 February 2017 Author Posted 9 February 2017 5 minutes ago, chicagofox said: Last seasons success should have absolutely no impact on anyone's views of the Martin O'Neill era. Why would it? It didn't change the past? Other people seem to have understood what I was asking
chicagofox Posted 9 February 2017 Posted 9 February 2017 17 minutes ago, foxfanazer said: Other people seem to have understood what I was asking But the two eras/achievements are in no way connected. If we win the Champions League this year it would be the greatest achievement in sport. If in 15 years we then win the Champions League and Premier League double would that diminish or enhance this seasons win, no.
foxfanazer Posted 9 February 2017 Author Posted 9 February 2017 1 minute ago, chicagofox said: But the two eras/achievements are in no way connected. If we win the Champions League this year it would be the greatest achievement in sport. If in 15 years we then win the Champions League and Premier League double would that diminish or enhance this seasons win, no. I wasn't suggesting they were connected. What I mean is, people of similar age to me (how old are you?) Have always considered the MON era the glory days. What I wanted to know is does what we did back then seem insignificant now after our fairytale season. It's not trying to put a downer on either
Guest Col city fan Posted 9 February 2017 Posted 9 February 2017 2 minutes ago, foxfanazer said: I wasn't suggesting they were connected. What I mean is, people of similar age to me (how old are you?) Have always considered the MON era the glory days. What I wanted to know is does what we did back then seem insignificant now after our fairytale season. It's not trying to put a downer on either Rubbish thread. Next you'll be saying Kaputska is world class!
foxfanazer Posted 9 February 2017 Author Posted 9 February 2017 4 minutes ago, Col city fan said: Rubbish thread. Next you'll be saying Kaputska is world class! You need a kaputska/Amartey style swear jar
Guest Col city fan Posted 9 February 2017 Posted 9 February 2017 Just now, foxfanazer said: You need a kaputska/Amartey style swear jar I ain't swearing! I just ain't jumping on the bloody bandwagons! The O'Neil era btw...bloody brilliant . I think it's an age thing.
mazarron fox Posted 9 February 2017 Posted 9 February 2017 I am 60 and have followed city all my life first going down in 1967. My ambition was to see us win a trophy and I was at Sheffield Wednesday to see them lift the trophy v Middlesbrough under MON. Last year was just mind blowing for a club like ours and whatever the future holds nothing can take that away. I now live in Spain but was able to get back for a couple of games last season ( Sunderland and Stoke ) This season to date I have only managed Porto away which despite the performance was a great experience inc a night in the hotel bar with fellow foxes. We have had terrible lows but amazing highs which most clubs will never witness up the city!
foxfanazer Posted 9 February 2017 Author Posted 9 February 2017 1 minute ago, Col city fan said: I ain't swearing! I just ain't jumping on the bloody bandwagons! The O'Neil era btw...bloody brilliant . I think it's an age thing. It ain't jumping on bandwagons though it's just giving young players bedding in time. Yeah football just seemed more magical back then but then again I was young so maybe just looking back on it with rose tinted glasses.
Mike Oxlong Posted 9 February 2017 Posted 9 February 2017 Last season pissed over everything that preceded it for me. And regardless of what we do in the future it can never get better than that as it was so unexpected. I can't imagine the fans of Chelsea or Man Utd or Man City getting the same level of joy from winning the title.
Bob Weasel Fox Posted 9 February 2017 Posted 9 February 2017 1 hour ago, Izzy Muzzett said: Regardless of last season, I'll always view the MON era as special times and great memories. The fact I was in my 'prime' then and went home and away, Wembley trips, Madrid etc. has probably got something to do with it. Now I'm older, moved away, young kids, bad health and don't get to games any more, means I probably didn't feel the same affinity to last season as those who were there in the flesh and witnessed it. Which will always be a regret I suppose. I see last season as fluke but who knows what the future holds? The last few years have been a roller coaster of emotions, where the MON years was a sustained period of relative success for us. Having said that, I'd trade in all the MON team achievements for the one off glory of last season every time. Possibly/probably. Depends who stays with us out of the current crop I guess. Not sure I can relate as much to the current players as I could 20 years ago though. There were no real superstars in the MON team, and apart from Mahrez on his day there aren't any in the current team for me (although some act like they think they are) Superb post and pretty much mirrors my thoughts more or less
Bob Weasel Fox Posted 9 February 2017 Posted 9 February 2017 4 hours ago, Babylon said: Crikey babs you ARE a big boy.
ithuriel Posted 9 February 2017 Posted 9 February 2017 Martin took us up after a terrible start to his reign and then built a team constantly capable of finishing in the top ten and reaching three cup finals, winning two of them. Claudio gave us a season with only three defeats in the league, with an astounding team and at times we played brilliant football. I cant compare them, they are like my fave main dish and fave dessert.
Babylon Posted 9 February 2017 Posted 9 February 2017 1 hour ago, Bob Weasel Fox said: Crikey babs you ARE a big boy. Just so people don't get the wrong impression... it looks nothing like me.
Gerard Posted 9 February 2017 Posted 9 February 2017 5 hours ago, MPH said: You'll always remember what pants you were wearing that day! By the skidmarks when Tottenham went 0-2 up.
Bob Weasel Fox Posted 9 February 2017 Posted 9 February 2017 22 minutes ago, Babylon said: Just so people don't get the wrong impression... it looks nothing like me. That's what they all say
chicagofox Posted 9 February 2017 Posted 9 February 2017 1 hour ago, foxfanazer said: I wasn't suggesting they were connected. What I mean is, people of similar age to me (how old are you?) Have always considered the MON era the glory days. What I wanted to know is does what we did back then seem insignificant now after our fairytale season. It's not trying to put a downer on either Fair enough mate. I didn't mean to be confrontational. I'm 37 now and my first first memories are under Brian Little but my formative years as a City fan were under O'Neill. For me that will always be one of the strongest moments in the clubs history. To finish in the top 10 for four seasons in a row (I think it was four, might be three or five) was truly outstanding. And we were doing it in a 20,000 stadium without the financial riches from ownership that we have now. Winning the Premier League will always be the pinnacle. If we never do it again we will always have been Premier League champions. But the sustained (relative) success under MON will never be considered anything other than magnificent to me.
Chico1958 Posted 9 February 2017 Posted 9 February 2017 Martin O'Neill and the Team Why: No Superstars Great Team Spirit All pulled together They would walk through walls for MON Martin O'Neill himself, Humour, Passion, Motivation,Love of the Game Gave us a consistent 4.5 years The joy of seeing Claridge at Wembley in the very last seconds Top 10............... Never thought I'd see it again Steve Walsh...... Matt Elliott Muzzy, Lennon and even Savage Got the best out of average player and made them legends All spoilt by Peter Taylor and the 10 years of wilderness Let's not forget, Bloomfield, Milne, Little, Pearson they gave us some good times as well. Winning the League will live with me for the rest of my days but it's being tarnished by the here and now
Leicesterpool Posted 9 February 2017 Posted 9 February 2017 I think with the squad we've got and the budget we have from the owners, I think MON could do wonders here once again. Would love to see him return one day before he retires.
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.