Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Vacamion

President Trump & the USA

22 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Yeah. Remember us talking about the "Bernie or Bust" lot way before the election and how they might be a factor? I'm still not convinced about exactly how much of a factor they were...but definitely played a part.

If you take a look at the winners of recent elections and then at the associated turnout among various demographics you quickly realise that disunity and so apathy amongst the Dems is by far the greatest weapon the Repubs have.

I do, I met one at my friends wedding, lovely guy from San Francisco, happily stood by it as well, says Trump is a nightmare but Clinton would have been worse.

Bernie Sanders still makes me laugh today whenever I watch him, he's like a political version of a merger of Larry David, Santa Claus and a 17 year old left wing student, how he has got away with what he has I have no idea.

3 minutes ago, MattP said:

I do, I met one at my friends wedding, lovely guy from San Francisco, happily stood by it as well, says Trump is a nightmare but Clinton would have been worse.

Bernie Sanders still makes me laugh today whenever I watch him, he's like a political version of a merger of Larry David, Santa Claus and a 17 year old left wing student, how he has got away with what he has I have no idea.

He did put forward something close to a universal healthcare bill for consideration the other day. Of course, it's never going to get anywhere because you know, making money is more important than health or even life for many over here but...

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-41296988

Food for thought here. I wonder why the confusion - Trump made his position pretty clear and most of his supporters made theirs abundantly clear too wrt to prioritising $$$ over any kind of sustainable future - so who has been leaning on him to change his mind in this regard?

Edited by leicsmac

24 minutes ago, MattP said:

It's interesting - in terms of the ME and keeping a lid on things there, there have been a few quite notable policy successes - this one among them.

Just a shame about pretty much everything else, really.

There has been such outrage about the players kneeling. I mean who gives a **** if they sit, stand, kneel, squat. It's just a song. Same people get upset about the american flag, it's a piece of cheap material on a stick. 

Ironically, the main people up in arms about the "traitors" kneeling during the anthem are the ones waving around confederate flags.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, lgfualol said:

There has been such outrage about the players kneeling. I mean who gives a **** if they sit, stand, kneel, squat. It's just a song. Same people get upset about the american flag, it's a piece of cheap material on a stick. 

Ironically, the main people up in arms about the "traitors" kneeling during the anthem are the ones waving around confederate flags.

The two sets of fans I saw booing their own teams yesterday for this were the Pats and the Bills - hardly the hotbed of dixieland. 

The whole thing is ridiculous though, the words from Trump, the protests themselves etc - President knows what he's doing though, appealing to the working class American again in places like Ohio and Penn etc 

Edited by MattP

1 minute ago, MattP said:

The two sets of fans I saw booing their own teams yesterday for this were the Pats and the Ravens - hardly the hotbed of dixieland. 

The whole thing is ridiculous though, the words from Trump, the protests themselves etc - President knows what he's doing though, appealing to the working class American again in places like Ohio and Penn etc 

I mean the online backlash, particularly from the alt-right on twitter and on reddit cesspits like /r/the_donald. 

Trump is a loud mouthed tw@t that will say anything to appeal to his base. We all know he doesnt give a flying fook.

So im not sure about your experiences in life but had a classmate that was a jehovahs witness. He was not allowed to stand for the anthem  on religious  grounds so literally  sat or left the room. Didnt bug me one bit. To each their own.

How would trump feel about that?  Would he be so bent out of shape  about it? Unlikely. I know they are different but the guys missing the point of why they are protesting  during the anthem to begin with..

I think a lot of people are way too bent out of shape over this. 

28 minutes ago, Buce said:

I neither stand for, or sing, the British national anthem.

As an atheist and republican the words are offensive to me.

Genuinely? 

4 minutes ago, Charl91 said:

I don't find it offensive, but it is a pretty shitty anthem.

God doesn't exist, and the Queen's alright, but not worth singing about.

Totally agree, it's crap and I'd change it tomorrow if I could. I'm just amazed anyone can seriously be offended or get upset by it.

It's just words to a song, the French sing about slitting the throats of those in the countryside but I doubt those who blast it out seriously want to do that.

41 minutes ago, Buce said:

I neither stand for, or sing, the British national anthem.

As an atheist and republican the words are offensive to me.

2 minutes ago, MattP said:

Totally agree, it's crap and I'd change it tomorrow if I could. I'm just amazed anyone can seriously be offended or get upset by it.

It's just words to a song, the French sing about slitting the throats of those in the countryside but I doubt those who blast it out seriously want to do that.

It's boring is the main problem.

That and the fact england fans seem unable to sing it in time to the music. 

13 minutes ago, MattP said:

Genuinely? 

Yep, though perhaps offensive was the wrong choice of word.

I'd be happy to respect an anthem that celebrates the nation, but ours asks a Deity that I don't believe in, to save an institution that I'm opposed to - it's nothing more than a sycophantic eulogy to whichever unelected monarch we have at that time.

4 minutes ago, Buce said:

Yep, though perhaps offensive was the wrong choice of word.

I'd be happy to respect an anthem that celebrates the nation, but ours asks a Deity that I don't believe in, to save an institution that I'm opposed to - it's nothing more than a sycophantic eulogy to whichever unelected monarch we have at that time.

Fair enough, I don't believe in God either but it's never crossed my mind not to sing the anthem because of it.

What would you change it to if you had that choice?

1 minute ago, MattP said:

Fair enough, I don't believe in God either but it's never crossed my mind not to sing the anthem because of it.

What would you change it to if you had that choice?

Nothing springs to mind - I would prefer to see a new anthem written that celebrates what's good about our nation, without reference to God or the monarchy.