Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Vacamion

President Trump & the USA

27 minutes ago, Buce said:

Nothing springs to mind - I would prefer to see a new anthem written that celebrates what's good about our nation, without reference to God or the monarchy.

There's lots of good material out there about tea, sarcasm and getting as shitfaced as possible. We'll be fine :thumbup:

Just now, Buce said:

What is an American sounding name?

Smith, Johnson, Williams, Brown and Jones were the most common last names, according to a Census Bureau analysis of the 2010 Census.

Just now, Izzy Muzzett said:

Smith, Johnson, Williams, Brown and Jones were the most common last names, according to a Census Bureau analysis of the 2010 Census.

Using that criteria, does that mean Mohammed is an English sounding name?

2 minutes ago, Buce said:

Using that criteria, does that mean Mohammed is an English sounding name?

Stop looking for an argument. It was merely an observation.

I take it back and apologise if you or anyone else is offended...

1 minute ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

Stop looking for an argument. It was merely an observation.

I take it back and apologise if you or anyone else is offended...

Woah, why would I, or anybody else, be offended? It just occurred to me that a nation built on immigration wouldn't have a 'typical' name.

And I certainly wasn't looking for an argument:

https://qz.com/1082778/popular-baby-names-muhammad-is-actually-the-most-boys-name-in-england-and-wales-not-oliver/

5 minutes ago, Buce said:

Woah, why would I, or anybody else, be offended? It just occurred to me that a nation built on immigration wouldn't have a 'typical' name.

And I certainly wasn't looking for an argument:

https://qz.com/1082778/popular-baby-names-muhammad-is-actually-the-most-boys-name-in-england-and-wales-not-oliver/

No worries, it was a clumsy thing for me to say.

Americans obsession with a flag and a shit song will forever bewildere me. 

Anyone who puts symbolism over people is a cretin. My uncle is married to an Irish woman. She works wirh orphans and homeless peiple, and poor people in general. I've never seen her with an Irish flag or any Irish memorabilia ever but she's a patriot, via her actions. 

16 hours ago, bovril said:

Why do they play the anthem before a game anyway? Seems a tad excessive. Any excuse for Americans to get teary and wave a flag, I guess. 

Imagine if we had to sing God save the Queen before every Premier League game? There would be boos ringing out from every ground every week.

As British (English) people we're about as unpatriotic as you can get really but that's probably because we have a shit anthem, a shit flag (The union flag is good but the St. George's is wank) and a shit football team.

4 minutes ago, Koke said:

Imagine if we had to sing God save the Queen before every Premier League game? There would be boos ringing out from every ground every week.

Would there?

It would get a bit tiresome but I've never heard an English crowd boo their own national anthem.

Our national anthem is a drab, outdated piece of shit that doesn't represent the beliefs of much of our society. 

Some sick lyrics being busted out around the globe though: http://mentalfloss.com/article/88826/15-colorful-lyrics-national-anthems-around-world

BANGLADESH: LET'S PLAY IN THE DIRT

O mother! The fragrance from your mango groves makes me wild with joy,
Ah, what a thrill!

Tune.

20 hours ago, bovril said:

Why do they play the anthem before a game anyway? Seems a tad excessive. Any excuse for Americans to get teary and wave a flag, I guess. 

Its God bless Anerica that gets me.

If there was a God who was good I'm sure the us of a would be a loooong way down his list for blessings.