Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

City-based Twenty20 tournament

All 'small county' supporters can complain but the new comp is not being aimed at them. I just do not know where all these new supporters are going to come from. With less teams, there will be more travelling involved for a lot of people. Also why will people suddenly have an interest in following a city team when they had no interest before? 3 overseas players could be a draw particularly if they get the top names in but t20 has already included quite a few big names.

As a Northants supporter and I imagine its the same with LCCC supporters, travelling to Nottingham I presume that will be 'our' team is a pain. Not only that we are rival teams playing together.

As said the 3 overseas might be a draw but there is unlikely to be any big name England players consistently in the sides as it will be in the middle of a summer schedule

7 hours ago, aaron0072002uk said:

As a Northants supporter and I imagine its the same with LCCC supporters, travelling to Nottingham I presume that will be 'our' team is a pain. Not only that we are rival teams playing together.

As said the 3 overseas might be a draw but there is unlikely to be any big name England players consistently in the sides as it will be in the middle of a summer schedule

Birmingham will be  nearer I guess ? 

I go to county ground for as many blast games I can , few pints in the County before and after ... the blast has saved Northants from financial ruin , if the blast is watered down then Northants will go under 

I won't be supporting any city team thats not in Leicester that's for sure I'd sooner watch rugby league ! 

And thats coming to Coventry soon ! 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TK95 said:

Middlesex refuse to back rule change for ECB's city-based Twenty20 plan - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/39587847

Good on them. Let's hope more counties follow

"Middlesex has a unique position in playing at a ground [Lord's] that is likely to be a host venue at the tournament, yet not benefiting from the revenues associated with that status. "

Lets be honest here they are doing it on a purely selfish perspective of not wanting to loose revenues, don't get me wrong I'm not saying I support this new tournament but they aren't voting no for what many people would probably view as the right reason I'd say.

• 2 weeks later...

I could understand the anger if this was replacing the existing T20, but it's not, and in fact it's going to guarantee a LOT of money for the smaller counties that don't make any!

Embrace it I reckon, it'll only be on for a few weeks and T20 Blast is still a things so counties get their revenue streams from that still.

34 minutes ago, AjcW said:

I could understand the anger if this was replacing the existing T20, but it's not, and in fact it's going to guarantee a LOT of money for the smaller counties that don't make any!

Embrace it I reckon, it'll only be on for a few weeks and T20 Blast is still a things so counties get their revenue streams from that still.

Yep so much looking forward to watching Leics 2nds playing Staffordshire in the height of summer while our best players are playing in the new comp.

1 hour ago, AjcW said:

How are people with no affiliation to the places given franchises meant to embrace it though. Sport in this country is tribal and always has been, the ECB aren't going to change that.

I'd much rather our four best players got into a midlands squad so that we can invest in building a strong team, over watching our 11 get hammered every week. 

Sorry.. but if this is the only way smaller counties are going to be given money then I'm all for it 

• 9 months later...

I live in Notts so it made the inevitable announcement easier to swallow. As I said above it’s also a completely separate competition and, as with the IPL, one that will draw absolute superstars to TB to play.

Given the fact something like 35 games have to be played in 38 days it also gives a brilliant opportunity for Notts, Leics and Derbs squad players to make up 5 or 6 of the 11 every game (I assume it’ll be same rules as IPL whereby there has to be a specific number of home grown players.

Final plus point is the coverage being awarded to BBC, so more chance youngsters will get into cricket in the future with free to air coverage.

Not decided whether I will be attending this or not yet. On the one hand, I do feel it is wrong that the small counties are totally excluded from the competition, however on the other, as said above, it does give a great chance for some players from smaller counties to shine, and the BBC broadcasting it is obviously a huge plus. 

Based in Notts in the summer anyway, and go to most games there, so will probably end up going tbh. 

10 hours ago, AjcW said:

I live in Notts so it made the inevitable announcement easier to swallow. As I said above it’s also a completely separate competition and, as with the IPL, one that will draw absolute superstars to TB to play.

Given the fact something like 35 games have to be played in 38 days it also gives a brilliant opportunity for Notts, Leics and Derbs squad players to make up 5 or 6 of the 11 every game (I assume it’ll be same rules as IPL whereby there has to be a specific number of home grown players.

Final plus point is the coverage being awarded to BBC, so more chance youngsters will get into cricket in the future with free to air coverage.

The thing is though, kids watching on TV will only feel connected if they can support their local team on TV, or actually go to the games themselves.

I don't buy the idea that big foreign superstars are going to attract new people to cricket either, because if newbies don't know who they are in the first place then why would they care? It's an attempt to compete with the IPL/Big Bash for the sake of it and to make a few quid for the ECB suits. I just don't see it working, because the only target market for it is people well into their cricket already (who fill out grounds for the county contest at the moment anyway) - and many of them supporting non-host counties will be put off by the way this has been done.

Edited by Voll Blau

Love Trent Bridge as a test venue and if this is a success then it needs to be a decent sized ground. I guess it all depends on the naming of the team, if it is the east midlands explorers and it gets decent coverage in the local media for Derby Leicester etc then I don't have a problem with it. If it is called Robin Hood's Nottingham Nobheads then I'll pass.

1 hour ago, Voll Blau said:

The thing is though, kids watching on TV will only feel connected if they can support their local team on TV, or actually go to the games themselves.

I don't buy the idea that big foreign superstars are going to attract new people to cricket either, because if newbies don't know who they are in the first place then why would they care? It's an attempt to compete with the IPL/Big Bash for the sake of it and to make a few quid for the ECB suits. I just don't see it working, because the only target market for it is people well into their cricket already (who fill out grounds for the county contest at the moment anyway) - and many of them supporting non-host counties will be put off by the way this has been done.

I have already said my views numerous times which you agree with Voll. 

The existing T20 Blast is as good as a T20 competition is going to get here. You have derbies which sell out continuously year after year which will now take place in like a 'T20 Average Kaboom Tournament'. Are Nottingham going to get a sell out crowd for Birmingham, like they do for Derbyshire? Is Edgbaston going to sell well when they play Manchester Demons like it does for Worcestershire's visits. I could continue...Gloucs v Somerset another. Or when Sussex play one of the London based teams. Sold out crowds tossed out and getting people hooked at grass roots level for a bigger TV deal. 

Our cricketing model doesn't fit a IPL or Big Bash format. It's just incompatible. At maximum each team will have 2 to 3 world stars, and as the IPL/Big Bash shows you then get this filter of Jofra Archer, Tymal Mills and Luke Wright's. Very good at Twenty20 but not crowd pullers. Those examples are English but it wouldn't matter which nationality as along as the franchise gets prize money; it takes a place from a domestic player.

I can see a EFL Trophy whitewash here where the authorities will claim a victory with a decent TV audience and good crowds in the final stages despite it really not being appreciated. 

For an East Midlands team, we/Derbys are not that far to Trent Bridge but are counties like Somerset now aligned to Hampshire or Cardiff? You talking 60/70 miles between the grounds and even further from where the fans are. Or someone like Essex who play Chelmsford which means they get support from Suffolk, well that's dead now cos your team is South London Sloggers. Northamptonshire is another example - in between Birmingham and the East Midlands but they drag supporters from Milton Keynes and Oxfordshire. 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox
  • Like 1