Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

Brexit Discussion Thread.

The EU provides a lot of funding to Cornwall too so it would be interesting to see how it would affect the region if Brexit won. Leave has provided a better argument for sovereignty and immigration and Remain has made a better case for the economy with a whole lot of nonsense at the same time from both sides. I think most will vote not on whether they will better or worse off but on which of those issues is more important to them.

I always vote but this is the first time I have voted were I feel that my vote is really important. I hope the turnout is good at least.

I have decided to vote out despite my previous thoughts on the referendum. Watching the news and seeing all these remain supporters claiming that our workers rights and human rights would cease to exist have really annoyed me. Who cares if food in Aldi is a few pence more expensive.

Aldi is the absolute tops. Everyone in the States slags it off because it's too Spartan for their liking.

Guest MattP

How do you think the main players voted in the privacy of the booth?

I'll go.

Cameron (remain)

Corbyn (leave)

Johnson (remain)

Gove (leave)

Sturgeon (leave)

Farage (remain)

May (leave)

Osborne (remain)

McDonnell (leave)

Quick reply to this post from the other thread regarding uncontrolled immigration....

"Let them in, yes, but not let them stay and take benefits so as has been said many times in this thread they're contributing by taking jobs that for some reason a British national was either unwilling or unqualified to do and paying the necessary taxes into the system."

What happens in 6 months time if our unemployment figures are at an all time low?

We have zero choice currently over who we allow to live and work in this country with those that hold a European Passport, unless we can prove, not suspect, that they are related to criminal/terror activity.

If we control our own immigration from European Nations, like we currently do with commonwealth nations and the rest of countries on the planet, we can still allow the same levels of immigration. We could even double it or treble it if we wish.

It is about having a choice. If we want to follow an E.U directive and law.....we can do what we used to do and pass the bill through Parliament until it becomes Law. 

Sure, many of these European immigrants do contribute to our society, but some do not. Taking back control of our immigration laws would allow us to continue to allow these contributing immigrants in, whilst not allowing those who do not contribute to enter. It is a win win.

I think it just says a lot about the current attitude of our nation and people as a whole. We clearly don't trust our political system enough, as well as each other as individuals, to run our country the way we want in to run. Leaving the E.U without argument offers us more potential as a nation, and i have yet to see a single argument which would suggest we should remain.

Immigration - We can continue to maintain our current levels, or even increase/decrease the numbers, but at least we have a choice.

Terrorism - Taking back control of our borders means we can refuse everyone entry.

Perspective jobs in EU nations - If you have the skills, you will be no less likely to get a job abroad. Look at the NHS, which is propped up largely by Asian doctors and staff. These skilled workers were still able to come to Britain and get skilled jobs whilst we had no choice but to let everyone in with a European Passport.

Economy - This is impossible to predict, but that doesn't mean that is a reason to vote remain. Remember, we were a member of the E.U during the Great Recession, and were one of the global nations most severely impacted. We currently import far more from the E.U than we export, why would the E.U suddenly stop trading with us? And if they did....why would we want to be part of a trading bloc which defies all basic business logic? A business wouldn't stop trading with one of its largest customers.

Voting remain is a kick in the teeth to democracy. 

I'll go.

Corbyn (leave)

Sturgeon (leave)

Farage (remain)

McDonnell (leave)

Think you're right in terms of Corbyn & McDonnell, they're towing the party line for Labour simply to avoid collapse. Sturgeon would love a leave with the SNP rhetoric on pulling Scotland out and forcing a second Scottish referendum and a slim remain vote would be the only way Farage could rally enough support to realistically get UKIP into a position of influence.

Think Johnson will vote leave, though. 

From a man who believes we should scrap democracy and install an authoritarian regime?

I see to spend half my time on here correcting assumptive reactions to my comments.

Because a wrong is a wrong whatever a majority might vote for - a much demonstrated truth that leaves me with little faith in democracy and greater hope for a different form of government - doesn't mean that I'd either scrap democracy or install an authoritarian regime.

But i would definitely listen to suggestions.

Don't worry Thrac half of Europe doesn't want to be in Europe so we'll leave by default eventually.

You may be right and it may be the only hope because i simply don't see the EU reforming itself dramatically and ever ending up being an organisation to be proud of.  

You may be right and it may be the only hope because i simply don't see the EU reforming itself dramatically and ever ending up being an organisation to be proud of.  

See what I mean ...

I think that's an understatement Barry, circumspect theories are not automatically facts, and do you truly believe that all the economists and banks are totally unbiased, cause therein lies the problem.

Well I did my own research on economic factors and I came to the same base conclusion.

Ha ha that would be a bit ironic, we vote to stay everyone else fcuks off.

I'll go.

Cameron (remain)

Corbyn (leave)

Johnson (remain)

Gove (leave)

Sturgeon (leave)

Farage (remain)[b/]

May (leave)

Osborne (remain)

McDonnell (leave)

I wouldn't put it past the bugger!

Have we seen a picture of George voting yet? I reckon he might 'vote charlie' today and remain indoors.

I wouldn't pay too much attention to the odds.

Although Ladbrokes has received a higher volume of bets to leave the EU, those making a punt on remain were placing larger bets. The head of political betting at Labrokes revealed the average stake on a bet to remain was £450, compared to £75 on a bet to leave.

In other words, a few large bettors are skewing the bookie odds dramatically in the favor of Remain, even as the mass of bettors is betting on Leave, albeit with smaller cash amounts.

Ladbrokes confirmed as much when it pointed out that while the probability of Brexit remains at only 24%, two thirds or 62% of all bets being placed today are for Leave, the same as yesterday. (Tuesday and Wednesday)

Source: Zero Hedge

And, of course, there will be people voting leave because of equally spurious reasons. Just to keep everything nice and balanced ;)

Complaints on Twitter that pencils are there to help rig the vote, despite every election being done in.... amazingly... pencil :o

Tonight's count will be extremely interesting. It could easily swing one way to another if heavily leave districts come in together, then remain districts counter!

Any predictions on the county areas and how they'll vote?

City - Heavy Remain

Harborough - Heavy Leave

Melton - Heavy Leave

Blaby - Close Leave

Oadby & Wigston - Heavy Remain

Charnwood - Close Remain

NW Leics - Heavy Leave

If i'm honest id say most people around here are Remain. but agree it will be close.

To be honest, Leave voters seem the kind of people more likely to put up boards.

Was going to say this.

From my experience in the Scottish referendum, if field placards, posters in windows and car stickers won you the vote, Scotland would have voted overwhelmingly for independence. It didn't though.

For my money, the shouty ones were "Yes" two years ago and "Leave" this year.

Was going to say this.

From my experience in the Scottish referendum, if field placards, posters in windows and car stickers won you the vote, Scotland would have voted overwhelmingly for independence. It didn't though.

For my money, the shouty ones were "Yes" two years ago and "Leave" this year.

There always seems to be this disparity between posters/placards and real votes.

Throughout the 80s and 90s, I was living in marginal seats all round the country (Norwich, Lewisham, Plymouth, Hinckley).

At each general election, there were a lot more Labour posters/placards - and each time the Tories won the seat.

Archived