Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

Brexit Discussion Thread.

End of the day odds don't mean everything. Preki was once 1/10 to be next lcfc manager and vardy 1/5 to join the arse and we 5000/1 to win league. If it was that certain to be remain it would be odds of 1/100

Are you bi-polar

To be honest, im not starting an argument, nor am i superemely politically intelligent, so im not stirring anything.

But ive not met one leave voter who has said anything other than immigration. Their whole decision was based on that.

I suppose that confirms we've never met.  

The EU has major flaws but it's better to stay in and try to help put it back on the right track, not to run away and hide in a cupboard, waving a union jack and singing Rule Britannia. We can't arrange for these islands to be towed off to another part of the world, even if we wanted to.

Major flaws !! ...    Its falling to bits Alf ....    Its a monster created out of a simple trade agreement that will drag us down.  Its full of bureaucratic nonsense and it will ultimately damage this country if we let it.   Cant people see through the cr@p ....   Putin wants us out cus it will destabilise NATO (who cares) ...   Obama wants us in cus it wont destabilise NATO (who cares) ...     my mate wants us out cus of all the Romainians that keep gathering across the road from his cash and carry .....    my other mate wants us in cus "Its a bit too scary to leave" ...    I give up !

I'll be on a train to Innsbruck when the result comes through. If the train suddenly stops and guards in SS uniforms get on, I'll know which way the vote went.

Haha, not to worry though, my sources tell me that kind of stuff won't be happening until a month or two before Oct 2017.

Anyhoo just back from the poling station. First time I've ever had to queue to vote.

I went around 5pm, total opposite, one woman infront of me, by the time I'd registered she'd gone so I was the only one in the room.

It's a tough one like elections, as you agree with some of the things they say but likewise on the other side they make some good points.

It's getting the balance of what's best, either way it turns out it will be going into the unknown as no one can predict if it's going to be good or bad for us.

Trying to convince leave voters to vote remain is like trying to convince your pet dog not to p*ss off the neighbours.

Leave voters will never understand the way big businesses interact. It will have a negative impact on growth and therefore have a knock-on affect in their own lives.

Dogs will never understand the way humans interact. Poor relations between neighbours because of all the barking means doggy gets castrated. 

Don't be like doggy. Keep your balls. Vote remain.

What a load of bollox

It wasn't government propaganda. It was my own thoughts, fueled by my own research - apart from 2 or 3 points nicked from Michael Dougan, Prof. of European Law, an independent academic.

I don't support the Govt and have never voted Tory. I was also genuinely 50-50 about this referendum until I read into it, thought things through and realised that Brexit was by far the more reckless of the 2 options for gambling on the future..

As you asked the question and I took the trouble to answer, it would have been polite of you to think about my reply, but you didn't, did you? No problem. Only a person with a closed mind asking a rhetorical question would pose such a basic question on voting day. But your question allowed me to make points that might (or might not) be of interest to people with more open minds.

Re. the Far Right, I agree that EU mismanagement of migration has been a factor in the rise of the Far Right on the continent. Another factor has been mismanagement of the Eurozone by the EU (as instructed by its supreme bosses - its member states), imposing Tory-style austerity economics that cause unemployment and insecurity. My point about Brexit is that it will make that worse. It will encourage the Far Right. It has the potential to cause further damage to the EU economy through the loss of UK contributions and an economic downturn in the UK, damaging EU trade. The EU might have to choose between asking the states to make further austerity cuts and providing more bailouts. That could easily be a vicious cycle, encouraging extremism on the continent - and we wouldn't be immune from the effects of that, even if we had left the EU. It could easily spread to the UK, particularly if we suffer a downturn and immigration continues apace (Gove says it will not fall markedly until 2020).

The EU has major flaws but it's better to stay in and try to help put it back on the right track, not to run away and hide in a cupboard, waving a union jack and singing Rule Britannia. We can't arrange for these islands to be towed off to another part of the world, even if we wanted to.

Heard this sooo many times DC went to Brussels for reform I would suspect with the message that he needed the full reform changes for us to remain, he achieved the square root of fcuk all, it now looks like unfortunately that we will remain without getting the reforms, now what message would that send out to Brussels, you must be the eternal optimist for hoping things will change.

Trying to convince leave voters to vote remain is like trying to convince your pet dog not to p*ss off the neighbours.

Leave voters will never understand the way big businesses interact. It will have a negative impact on growth and therefore have a knock-on affect in their own lives.

Dogs will never understand the way humans interact. Poor relations between neighbours because of all the barking means doggy gets castrated. 

What big business are you in then ?

Guest MattP

It's weird how there's no exit polls.

The vote is too vast to do one with any accuracy, in a General Election you can nail virtually every seat aside from 100 so the pollijng companies can then set up in those seats that decide the election and take a large sample of the public, you wouldn't be able to do that tonight as you can't really guarantee a solid vote in large areas, they would need 100,000 people to even start to produce one.

Clever ploy to stop leave voters mobilising

Exit polls don't come out until the polls close.

Fair play to anyone btw who still thinks we can get any serious reform in Europe, I do admire the optimism.

Are these the big businesses that get huge tax refunds directed by the ECJ and there is nothing at all HMRC can do about it ?

Guest MattP

Perhaps you could remind me about when I called you or anyone else thick or racist, Webbo?

Perhaps you could also remind me when I called anyone on the Brexit side an "arrogant bastard", accused them of "looking down their nose at others", said they had "elitist views" but "had never been in the elite of anything"?

Maybe you should stop insulting other people before you accuse others of needless insults and imply that your side is whiter than white?

There will always be the odd idiot or hothead on BOTH sides who goes a bit too far. It might even be you or me, occasionally. But trying to claim that EITHER side has a monopoly on moral conduct is ridiculous, frankly.

Have a good evening.....but not TOO good!  :D

p.s. I WAS in the elite of something.....I was Folkestone & District Cub Scouts Obstacle Race Champion (Joint), 1973.  :thumbup:

No one has ever accused you of it Alf, sneer or fear isn't your game, probably why you are one of the most respected posters on here.

My Facebook timeline is literally full of people though voting remain desperate to tell the World how young, hip and liberal they are, how racist and xenophobic Brexiteers are, how intelligent and enlightened they are and how anyone who votes to leave is a sofa-sitting chav downing can after can who has never been outside the borders of Leicestershire, whatever the result tonight the last week in politics really has been the worst of Britain.

Guest MattP

What about the big businesses and business leaders that are advising us to vote leave like JCB, James Dyson and Tim Martin etc

Do those big businesses understand the way big businesses interact?

No one has ever accused you of it Alf, sneer or fear isn't your game, probably why you are one of the most respected posters on here.

My Facebook timeline is literally full of people though voting remain desperate to tell the World how young, hip and liberal they are, how racist and xenophobic Brexiteers are, how intelligent and enlightened they are and how anyone who votes to leave is a sofa-sitting chav downing can after can who has never been outside the borders of Leicestershire, whatever the result tonight the last week in politics really has been the worst of Britain.

One of the biggest reasons being that Gove is promoting anti-intellectualism, telling everyone that if all the evidence and the expert analysis suggests you're wrong, the correct stance to take is to accuse them all of conspiracy and dismiss real concerns. Starting to see why every teacher I know holds him in complete contempt.

The bitter fighting will come and go, but promoting the rejection of sense? That's going to stick with us.

Archived