Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

Brexit Discussion Thread.

I also thought about Glastonbury as well and wondered whether that would have an effect given the stereotype of a left wing audience, 

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/concern-thousands-eu-voters-head-8266438

"Social media users are voicing their concern today after it was reported many festival-goers didn't realise there isn't a polling station at Glastonbury Festival for the EU referendum.

Despite repeated warnings from festival organiser Michael Eavis and the media that there would be no place to vote at the site, it seems some people completely missed the message".

lol

I thought Fleecebook & the Interweb were supposed to make information more accessible? Just seem to make people less capable of thinking.

- Business & finance are global, as are trade, security & environment, so part of democracy needs to be more international (yes, EU democracy needs to improve, but isolating ourselves from those decisions isn't the solution)

- The EU achieved a lot before the financial crash/Euro crisis (massive trade growth, higher living standards in UK, rapid improvement of former fascist/communist states)

- In the EU, we are 1 of the 3 most influential powers in the world's most powerful, most highly developed trading/political bloc, operating as equals with the US, China etc, instead of as an isolated, much less weaker power 

- Whether we leave or stay, we can legislate to counteract low pay encouraged by immigration (labour inspections, prosecutions of illegal pay, job advertising laws, social funds to help public services in high-immigration areas)

- After Brexit, we'd have to choose between the single market & control of our borders, BOTH would simply NOT be an option

.....If we chose the single market, we'd still be subject to EU regulations & contributions, but would have no say

.....If we chose control of our borders, we'd have to renegotiate trade deals with the EU; this would take about 10 years & we'd end up with a worse deal & probably less trade, undermining growth

..... We'd have to renegotiate almost all our non-EU trade deals, which would take years to negotiate and we don't have the resources to negotiate 2 deals simultaneously, never mind 60-70; the idea we just "start trading elsewhere" is rubbish

.....We'd need to re-establish border posts with Republic of Ireland, risking a resumption of IRA/Loyalist terrorism

.... We'd have to rewrite nearly all UK law within 2-3 years, devolving the power to Govt, as parliament couldn't handle the volume 

.....Scotland would probably leave the UK

- Holding a referendum & voting to stay in the EU will give us a stronger mandate to propose/demand EU reform

- We'll be economically better off (Remain exaggerated via "Project Fear", but a downturn affecting incomes, jobs, prices & public services IS almost certain post-Brexit, due to uncertainty, which discourages business/investment)

- If we stay, there's less likelihood of the EU collapsing economically or falling prey to dangerous Far Right extremists & we'll avoid the hostility/tension inevitable after Brexit

More than enough reasons...though the EU certainly needs reform.

What a load of government propaganda nonsense. Can't agree with any of it.

Let me just make a point about the most ridiculous point i have heard from anyone during the build up to this referendum. Leaving the E.U will result in European nations falling prey to Far Right extremists.....you've got it the wrong way around.

Austria, a nation disgusted by the immigration crisis and the way it has been handled by the European Union, almost elected the first far right political party since world war two......A man who now claims he would be 'Upset if the UK left the EU'.

Although not far right, you only have to look at the popularity of UKIP at the last election, almost half the number of votes as labour. Why? Because people are upset at the problems E.U cause, not solve. Almost 13% of the population voted for them for this exact reason.

The E.U, whilst unreformed, limiting democracy and generally preventing Britain from being 'Great Britain', is only going to lead to further increased popularity for right and far right.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/concern-thousands-eu-voters-head-8266438

"Social media users are voicing their concern today after it was reported many festival-goers didn't realise there isn't a polling station at Glastonbury Festival for the EU referendum.

Despite repeated warnings from festival organiser Michael Eavis and the media that there would be no place to vote at the site, it seems some people completely missed the message".

lol

I thought Fleecebook & the Interweb were supposed to make information more accessible? Just seem to make people less capable of thinking.

Not only that, you can only vote in your constituency, it's pretty common knowledge. Saw a post on facebook earlier of a friend who's husband is a lorry driver and has got stuck down south with all the rain, and she's moaning because after ringing the electoral commission they won't let him vote at another polling booth. Well of course they won't lol Shall I do a tour of Leicestershire and vote in each on claiming my car had broke down and I couldn't get home? lol If you're in a job that might require you to be away all day and night, apply for postal voting! Same with these idiots, why would there be a polling station at glastonbury? How are they meant to know exactly who's there? I despair sometimes lol

I can't believe people genuinely think leave stands a chance.

I've said they can't win from the start. Doesn't stop me hoping though. Hopefully it'll be close enough to give the arrogant bastards a fright, but I doubt it.

I started this campaign thinking I was probably going to vote to remain. I have long felt that the EU has had some strengths and that I could overlook its flaws. I also fit the normal 'remain' demographic, a University graduate and I am 25 years old.  Nevertheless, in recent months I have really scrutinised the situation and can no longer defend the system - I honestly believe - has brought much of the continent to its knees. It has a habit of being autocratic in its methods and a structure like that, which by its own admission, professes peace amongst people does not quite fulfil that brief. That is why this morning, with renewed hope, I voted to leave and I really hope that the majority of Britons follow suit today in this historic event.

Let's grab the chance to manifest our own future before it is too late.

Trying to convince leave voters to vote remain is like trying to convince your pet dog not to p*ss off the neighbours.

Leave voters will never understand the way big businesses interact. It will have a negative impact on growth and therefore have a knock-on affect in their own lives.

Dogs will never understand the way humans interact. Poor relations between neighbours because of all the barking means doggy gets castrated. 

Don't be like doggy. Keep your balls. Vote remain.

Trying to convince leave voters to vote remain is like trying to convince your pet dog not to p*ss off the neighbours.

Leave voters will never understand the way big businesses interact. It will have a negative impact on growth and therefore have a knock-on affect in their own lives.

Dogs will never understand the way humans interact. Poor relations between neighbours because of all your barking means doggie gets castrated. 

Don't be like doggie. Keep your balls. Vote remain.

Thank  god we've got geniuses like you to tell what to think.

~3.5m jobs in the UK as a direct result of EU trade (around 1 in 10).

We would still be able to trade with the EU so I doubt 3.5 million people would suddenly lose their jobs. Just because those jobs are involved in EU trade doesn't mean they are reliant on EU trade.

As a general rule, I can't recall any leavers calling remainers thick (or racist) and yet the remainers think they have the right to look down their noses at others. So many elitist views from people who've never been in the elite of anything.

As a general rule, I can't recall any leavers calling remainers thick (or racist) and yet the remainers think they have the right to look down their noses at others. So many elitist views from people who've never been in the elite of anything.

For the exact same reason an overweight 5ft 2 bloke would be ill advised to pick a fight with a 6ft 5 brick sh*thouse, I imagine.

Isn't it ironic that remain voters actually vote? Considering they oppose democracy?

It amazes me how so many people don't have faith in themselves to make their own decisions, believing they need others to make decisions for them.

This has been quite noticeable for me too. There have indeed been unpleasant reasons given for voting to Leave, but some Remainers are hardly beacons of good conduct either. There's a subtle snobbery out there that holds that voting to Leave is a decision that tends to be arrived at as a result of ignorance and close-mindedness.

Isn't it ironic that remain voters actually vote? Considering they oppose democracy?

It amazes me how so many people don't have faith in themselves to make their own decisions, believing they need others to make decisions for them.

I oppose the EU. But I don't have faith in Boris, Gove, and Farage.

I oppose the EU. But I don't have faith in Boris, Gove, and Farage.

Well you'll get a chance to vote against Gove,Boris and Farage. You'll never get another chance to get out of the EU.

This has been quite noticeable for me too. There have indeed been unpleasant reasons given for voting to Leave, but some Remainers are hardly beacons of good conduct either. There's a subtle snobbery out there that holds that voting to Leave is a decision that tends to be arrived at as a result of ignorance and close-mindedness.

FB_IMG_1466701653617.jpg

It obviously depends on who you meet and personal, anectdotal evidence, but I've been accused of being an elitist Guardinista who hates democracy and the working class. My Mum was accused of being unpatriotic at a rally, and I have foreign friends who've suffered worse abuse. I have friends in Scotlamnd who were subjected to abuse 2 years ago.

Of course it works both ways and it's disgusting that people on the 'Out' side also have their views denigrated. For sure many remainers can be shouty, obnoxious, aggressive and patronising.

It seems we've become quite an abusive society recently. There has been very little subtlety about the whole referendum.

Dogs will never understand the way humans interact. Poor relations between neighbours because of all the barking means doggy gets castrated.

Don't be like doggy. Keep your balls. Vote remain.

Big businesses interact with whoever they want, wherever they want and ultimately on whatever terms they want.

If we left, there would be a small period of uncertainty where a downturn would happen (as there is with any world event) but before long, trade would return to normal. I doubt very much any deal thats in place now would be any different should we leave. Big businesses and corporations dictate to the EU, not the other way around.

Archived