Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

Brexit Discussion Thread.

To be honest, im not starting an argument, nor am i superemely politically intelligent, so im not stirring anything.

But ive not met one leave voter who has said anything other than immigration. Their whole decision was based on that.

I've long disliked the EU dictators and opposed the future they have in store for us, and thought I'd jump at the chance of voting to leave. Lately I'd decided not to vote for reasons I won't bore you with. However, after recently seeing Izzard and tosser Geldof talking complete bollocks I decided to vote after all. COME ON LET'S LEAVE LET'S HAVE IT YOU SHITS

To be honest, im not starting an argument, nor am i superemely politically intelligent, so im not stirring anything.

But ive not met one leave voter who has said anything other than immigration. Their whole decision was based on that.

Yeah all I've heard is this whole let's take our country back bollocks and be optimistic.

As a general rule, I can't recall any leavers calling remainers thick (or racist) and yet the remainers think they have the right to look down their noses at others. So many elitist views from people who've never been in the elite of anything.

Plenty of leavers have strongly implied that they don't value the input of remainers. Just look at Alf's well considered post on the previous page of this thread being described as "a load of nonsense". That's been typical of the leavers response to remain arguments on here and elsewhere and right to the top of the leave campaign. If you can't respond properly then expect to be called thick because that's exactly how you come across. (not you personally... You know what I mean)

Regardless, who cares? This isn't a tolerance competition. You're not a better person than somebody else just because you haven't called a leaver a thicko.

FB_IMG_1466701653617.jpg

Being without a degree does not imply that you don't have rational reasons for your decision. I don't doubt that there are Leave voters who haven't thought it through but you aren't showing me why that applies to the majority of them.

You're making it clear to everyone how much you hold your opponents in contempt.

Plenty of leavers have strongly implied that they don't value the input of remainers. Just look at Alf's well considered post on the previous page of this thread being described as "a load of nonsense". That's been typical of the leavers response to remain arguments on here and elsewhere and right to the top of the leave campaign. If you can't respond properly then expect to be called thick because that's exactly how you come across. (not you personally... You know what I mean)

Regardless, who cares? This isn't a tolerance competition. You're not a better person than somebody else just because you haven't called a leaver a thicko.

I don't know what people get out of it. I can disagree with someone without being personal. I've never needed to look down my nose at others to feel good about myself.

Just off to vote  for leave now and make the baby jesus cry.

What a load of government propaganda nonsense. Can't agree with any of it.

Let me just make a point about the most ridiculous point i have heard from anyone during the build up to this referendum. Leaving the E.U will result in European nations falling prey to Far Right extremists.....you've got it the wrong way around.

[...]

It wasn't government propaganda. It was my own thoughts, fueled by my own research - apart from 2 or 3 points nicked from Michael Dougan, Prof. of European Law, an independent academic.

I don't support the Govt and have never voted Tory. I was also genuinely 50-50 about this referendum until I read into it, thought things through and realised that Brexit was by far the more reckless of the 2 options for gambling on the future..

As you asked the question and I took the trouble to answer, it would have been polite of you to think about my reply, but you didn't, did you? No problem. Only a person with a closed mind asking a rhetorical question would pose such a basic question on voting day. But your question allowed me to make points that might (or might not) be of interest to people with more open minds.

Re. the Far Right, I agree that EU mismanagement of migration has been a factor in the rise of the Far Right on the continent. Another factor has been mismanagement of the Eurozone by the EU (as instructed by its supreme bosses - its member states), imposing Tory-style austerity economics that cause unemployment and insecurity. My point about Brexit is that it will make that worse. It will encourage the Far Right. It has the potential to cause further damage to the EU economy through the loss of UK contributions and an economic downturn in the UK, damaging EU trade. The EU might have to choose between asking the states to make further austerity cuts and providing more bailouts. That could easily be a vicious cycle, encouraging extremism on the continent - and we wouldn't be immune from the effects of that, even if we had left the EU. It could easily spread to the UK, particularly if we suffer a downturn and immigration continues apace (Gove says it will not fall markedly until 2020).

The EU has major flaws but it's better to stay in and try to help put it back on the right track, not to run away and hide in a cupboard, waving a union jack and singing Rule Britannia. We can't arrange for these islands to be towed off to another part of the world, even if we wanted to.

Guest MattP

Fair play for managing a post in this thread not calling anybody racist or trying to imply Brexiteers are murderers.

If that is true then you have to speak to more people, the debate around our pub table last week was full of leavers and the main subject of debate for the most point was solidarity with the Greeks.

I've said they can't win from the start. Doesn't stop me hoping though. Hopefully it'll be close enough to give the arrogant bastards a fright, but I doubt it.

As a general rule, I can't recall any leavers calling remainers thick (or racist) and yet the remainers think they have the right to look down their noses at others. So many elitist views from people who've never been in the elite of anything.

Perhaps you could remind me about when I called you or anyone else thick or racist, Webbo?

Perhaps you could also remind me when I called anyone on the Brexit side an "arrogant bastard", accused them of "looking down their nose at others", said they had "elitist views" but "had never been in the elite of anything"?

Maybe you should stop insulting other people before you accuse others of needless insults and imply that your side is whiter than white?

There will always be the odd idiot or hothead on BOTH sides who goes a bit too far. It might even be you or me, occasionally. But trying to claim that EITHER side has a monopoly on moral conduct is ridiculous, frankly.

Have a good evening.....but not TOO good!  :D

p.s. I WAS in the elite of something.....I was Folkestone & District Cub Scouts Obstacle Race Champion (Joint), 1973.  :thumbup:

Perhaps you could remind me about when I called you or anyone else thick or racist, Webbo?

Perhaps you could also remind me when I called anyone on the Brexit side an "arrogant bastard", accused them of "looking down their nose at others", said they had "elitist views" but "had never been in the elite of anything"?

Maybe you should stop insulting other people before you accuse others of needless insults and imply that your side is whiter than white?

There will always be the odd idiot or hothead on BOTH sides who goes a bit too far. It might even be you or me, occasionally. But trying to claim that EITHER side has a monopoly on moral conduct is ridiculous, frankly.

Have a good evening.....but not TOO good!  :D

p.s. I WAS in the elite of something.....I was Folkestone & District Cub Scouts Obstacle Race Champion (Joint), 1973.  :thumbup:

I never accused you of any such thing(actually I've just re read my post, I should have said a lot of remainers, you, dj barry and others have been very fair and decent, sorry if you thought I was implying any of you)). When I said arrogant bastards I was talking about the EU itself. I've no problem with anyone voting remain as long as they don't think it makes them superior.

Anyhoo just back from the poling station. First time I've ever had to queue to vote.

Guest LCFC_World

There's ALOT more to leaving than immigration issues. I feel remain will win, but at least I've had my say.

This referendum has basically been won by all the economical experts that the government paid to say how bad it will all be if we leave.

This country isn't any less corrupt than Nigeria.

You need to leave the country pal.

Archived