Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

Brexit Discussion Thread.

Definitely mixed around here, agree Blaby will be leave but Countesthorpe will be just remain. not sure about the other villages in the District.

I would have thought smallish villages such as Blaby and Countesthorpe would have been strongly in favour of leave. Usually right wing strongholds in general elections so I would have assumed factors such as immigration would have been high on their agenda.

Ha ha that would be a bit ironic, we vote to stay everyone else fcuks off.

Tragic I'd call it Guvnor ....    we would have had more time to adjust whilst that bureaucratic nightmare known as the EU self destructs.    But thats what the people look like they have voted for.

I would have thought smallish villages such as Blaby and Countesthorpe would have been strongly in favour of leave. Usually right wing strongholds in general elections so I would have assumed factors such as immigration would have been high on their agenda.

I agree especially with all the new housing being built but it's just a matter of how close the vote will be, imo more will remain as they're not sure

I agree especially with all the new housing being built but it's just a matter of how close the vote will be, imo more will remain as they're not sure

Agreed - human nature to avoid change and most people I'd have thought - if undecided - will bottle it in the end and vote remain. Sadly.

Guest CityFan 06

Agreed - human nature to avoid change and most people I'd have thought - if undecided - will bottle it in the end and vote remain. Sadly.

Also agree chaps. It's a case of not wanting to jump into something we don't know, which I can understand for the Remain voters. I think Remain will get the majority, but we will see.

Can anyone provide with with a single reason to remain in the EU?

Multi Millionaire David Beckham told you too, along with loads of other loaded celebrities. I'm neither for or against leaving, I don't really care. But it really does grate having people like that trying to influence people, when they live in their little bubbles with enough money to escape many of the issues facing average Joe.

Most people I know who are voting to leave are the guys in factories, or chippies, electricians, plumbers who were employed in companies that slowly got rid of british workers for cheaper foreign labour, or at the least attempted to slash their wages. Or people whose child sits in a class of 35 people, with loads of kids that don't speak English,  taking up a large amount of time from the teachers and teaching assistants. Or people struggling to get on the housing ladder, with prices forced up due to the demands of having a constant stream of people entering the country.

None of those things have much to do with me, but I can appreciate why those people would consider voting out. It certainly doesn't make them "racist", that many of the IN campaign try and paint them as.

There is also many good reasons to vote in, people should just vote based purely on how being in has impacted upon their lives. And not because Beckham or Lineker say you should stay.

Remain back to 1/7 now from 1/16.

Bookie basically as clueless as us, just know high turnout probably gives edge to remain.

Bookie's have to make a profit therefor they don't dictate the odds the money does and in this case very large bets are being placed on remain to skew the odds and influence the market.

Can anyone provide with with a single reason to remain in the EU?

- Business & finance are global, as are trade, security & environment, so part of democracy needs to be more international (yes, EU democracy needs to improve, but isolating ourselves from those decisions isn't the solution)

- The EU achieved a lot before the financial crash/Euro crisis (massive trade growth, higher living standards in UK, rapid improvement of former fascist/communist states)

- In the EU, we are 1 of the 3 most influential powers in the world's most powerful, most highly developed trading/political bloc, operating as equals with the US, China etc, instead of as an isolated, much weaker power

- Whether we leave or stay, we can legislate to counteract low pay encouraged by immigration (labour inspections, prosecutions of illegal pay, job advertising laws, social funds to help public services in high-immigration areas)

- After Brexit, we'd have to choose between the single market & control of our borders, BOTH would simply NOT be an option

.....If we chose the single market, we'd still be subject to EU regulations & contributions, but would have no say

.....If we chose control of our borders, we'd have to renegotiate trade deals with the EU; this would take about 10 years & we'd end up with a worse deal & probably less trade, undermining growth

..... We'd have to renegotiate almost all our non-EU trade deals, which would take years to negotiate and we don't have the resources to negotiate 2 deals simultaneously, never mind 60-70; the idea we just "start trading elsewhere" is rubbish

.....We'd need to re-establish border posts with Republic of Ireland, risking a resumption of IRA/Loyalist terrorism

.... We'd have to rewrite nearly all UK law within 2-3 years, devolving the power to Govt, as parliament couldn't handle the volume 

.....Scotland would probably leave the UK

- Holding a referendum & voting to stay in the EU will give us a stronger mandate to propose/demand EU reform

- We'll be economically better off (Remain exaggerated via "Project Fear", but a downturn affecting incomes, jobs, prices & public services IS almost certain post-Brexit, due to uncertainty, which discourages business/investment)

- If we stay, there's less likelihood of the EU collapsing economically or falling prey to dangerous Far Right extremists & we'll avoid the hostility/tension inevitable after Brexit

More than enough reasons...though the EU certainly needs reform.

What job do you do?

I don't see how relevant it is what job i do does it?

Unemployed - Greater chance of employment if we can control out own immigration policy so that supply = demand.....not supply > demand.

Work for an organisation operating within the E.U - All this myth with regards to 'the E.U can cease all trading with us'. Well.....they can, but then the E.U. would cease to exist. We import more than we export within the E.U. Why would a trading bloc cease trading with one of its biggest customers? If we leave the E.U then it becomes weaker overnight, they couldn't afford to cease trading with us. Nor could they afford to outrageously try and overcharge us, given the fact that we can take our business elsewhere, specifically the commonwealth where the largest growing economies exist anyway.

A job in another E.U nation - Surely you were and will be employed based on your skills, knowledge and experience....not because you are holding a E.U passport. 

Example - Our NHS is propped up largely by immigrants from commonwealth nations outside of the E.U, because skills > nationality.

Don't worry all the leave voters will be finishing work at 5 to vote. All the millionaire remainers who don't work and stay in there mansion all day casted there vote already

Yep. I got my butler to post my remain vote weeks ago..

Archived