Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

Brexit Discussion Thread.

I never accused you of any such thing(actually I've just re read my post, I should have said a lot of remainers, you, dj barry and others have been very fair and decent, sorry if you thought I was implying any of you)). When I said arrogant bastards I was talking about the EU itself. I've no problem with anyone voting remain as long as they don't think it makes them superior.

Anyhoo just back from the poling station. First time I've ever had to queue to vote.

My Facebook timeline is literally full of people though voting remain desperate to tell the World how young, hip and liberal they are, how racist and xenophobic Brexiteers are, how intelligent and enlightened they are and how anyone who votes to leave is a sofa-sitting chav downing can after can who has never been outside the borders of Leicestershire, whatever the result tonight the last week in politics really has been the worst of Britain.

There are stereotypes that can be presented for both sides. Remain voters fearfully voting for the status quo or voting Remain so as to smugly feel right-on or to present themselves as caring internationalists. Leave voters fearfully voting to keep all those strange foreigners out or voting Leave so as to smugly feel they're the ones who care about real British working people or to present themselves as men of the people.

In both cases, those stereotypes will sometimes be true - and it's fair enough to pull up individuals who fit the stereotype. But accusing all/most Remainers of being smug elitists or all/most Leavers of being populist xenophobes just causes unnecessary polarisation and ill-feeling.

The debate on here has generally been very good and civil - better quality and more civil than most of the crap from the professional politicians. It would be a shame if that deteriorated - and there's likely to be plenty of controversy to come, I suspect.

Glad to hear the turnout seems high. It would be good if there was a clear result one way or the other, too, to reduce the potential for a toxic atmosphere and nasty divisions in the country.

I don't see how relevant it is what job i do does it?

Unemployed - Greater chance of employment if we can control out own immigration policy so that supply = demand.....not supply > demand.

Work for an organisation operating within the E.U - All this myth with regards to 'the E.U can cease all trading with us'. Well.....they can, but then the E.U. would cease to exist. We import more than we export within the E.U. Why would a trading bloc cease trading with one of its biggest customers? If we leave the E.U then it becomes weaker overnight, they couldn't afford to cease trading with us. Nor could they afford to outrageously try and overcharge us, given the fact that we can take our business elsewhere, specifically the commonwealth where the largest growing economies exist anyway.

A job in another E.U nation - Surely you were and will be employed based on your skills, knowledge and experience....not because you are holding a E.U passport. 

Example - Our NHS is propped up largely by immigrants from commonwealth nations outside of the E.U, because skills > nationality.

I was going to look for a reason more person to you.

He's 25 Paddy and should know better. But yes I suppose he is getting a hard time .... Little footer won't lie down though ! .... And he still hasn't answered my question !

Jesus no wonder the country is Fcuked 25 and been in paid employment a few months !!!!

Christ the Europeans have a lot to answer !

Glad to hear the turnout seems high. It would be good if there was a clear result one way or the other, too, to reduce the potential for a toxic atmosphere and nasty divisions in the country.

I've made a big deal about democracy, whatever the result I'll accept it. I won't be claiming a fix or blaming the electorate.

W

Webbo!? :dunno:

lol

I've got a lovely head of hair.

:D

That's one of the last things that I'm holding onto as I age and fall apart, too: I might be unfit and paunchy with an older face, but I've got a lovely head of hair!

Got it cut today, though, and it's definitely getting a bit greyer.  :cry:

Mind you, one of my uncles is 80 and has a lovely head of white-grey hair, same as my Mum's.....I'm holding out for that genetic inheritance.

Guest MattP

Where have I said I work in big business? I said I have an understanding of it. For what it's worth I'm not an account exec any more.

So much for the leave camp leaving out personal insults, eh?

Usually I would completely agree with this but when you compared people to animals for the way they vote it's hard not to smile. Take it as a lesson learnt and move on.

The bookmakers now have the turnout spread at 75% - pretty amazing, thats 10% on top of a General Election, I can't wait to see who they have come out for, I'll lay my cards on the table now...........

• 54-46 in favour of remain.
  • Cameron clings on by sacrificing Osborne
  • A renewed charge against Corbyn by moderates over his vanishing during the biggest decision made for decades
  • Gove resigns from government

The country's going to be ****ed up either way. 

But would you rather be able to work a set amount of hours a week thanks to the EU or be left to slave it out for 60 odd hours a week without EU rule?

I've made a big deal about democracy, whatever the result I'll accept it. I won't be claiming a fix or blaming the electorate.

I'll be blaming pencils in the voting booths, and start one of the biggest conspiracy theories sine 9/11.

Usually I would completely agree with this but when you compared people to animals for the way they vote it's hard not to smile. Take it as a lesson learnt and move on.

The bookmakers now have the turnout spread at 75% - pretty amazing, thats 10% on top of a General Election, I can't wait to see who they have come out for, I'll lay my cards on the table now...........

• A renewed charge against Corbyn by moderates over his vanishing during the biggest decision made for decades

So we will have a Rnment instead? What have I done?

Guest MattP

Here here, although if we do lose I'll know exactly where to point the finger, a man whose ego couldn't keep him out the newspapers, a man who was told to stay away as he's too divisive to those average swing voters you need to get over the line in elections like these but instead decides the spend the last week standing in front of giant pictures of queuing Syrians to give the remain side exactly what they needed to run with.

They knew only something like that could claw back that 4-5-6pt lead we had just twelve days ago. That moron in Leeds obviously didn't help either.

Guest MattP

But would you rather be able to work a set amount of hours a week thanks to the EU or be left to slave it out for 60 odd hours a week without EU rule?

Really really cannot deal with you at the minute.

Well I'm a big remain supporter. The country will still be ****ed up. 

Agreed.

We can be justly critical of the shocking manipulation and misrepresentation by both campaigns. However, in the internet era, there's no excuse for any voter not being able to look into the issues and make their own mind up (apart from pensioners who've never used computers, maybe).

I'm just anticipating scenarios where the result is close and the losers accuse the winners of winning by telling lies. Or scenarios where England narrowly votes Leave, but the overall vote is Remain because of Scotland, or there's a narrow Leave vote overall because of England despite a large Remain vote in Scotland. There are enough divisions in this country without schisms being opened even wider.

Should be fascinating, though - and politics will be interesting for a long time after tonight, whatever the result. I plan to stay up for as long as I'm not dozing off.

Just the last outcome would suit me fine.

Archived