Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
fuchsntf

United Airlines...Barbaric???

Just now, Webbo said:

You've just proven my point. Some of us are appalled, some think it reasonable and most of us don't really care. The same reaction you'd get in every other country that's seen this video. Nothing to do with the 80s or any of that bollox.

point made

3 hours ago, Finnegan said:

And that right there is why I'll defend them vehemently until any ACTUAL wrong doing is proven.

Because this has all come around because, yet again, some bullshit social media video has gone viral and a shitstorm of whiney, offended-by-everything internet justice warriors like ozleicester have flown off the handle making assumptions.

The guy is a weedy looking, aged, bespectacled man from an ethnic minority and so the entire liberal half of the internet have automatically assumed he's being oppressed by the big mean airline.

It's ridiculous hysteria.

:appl:

Don't know the story. No link in first post. From what I have read in the thread the airline cocked up with bookings and sent in the heavy mob to ask a passenger to leave who happened to be what they thought would be an easy removal. 

Shame it wasn't anyone famous unlikely not to hit the news.

Maybe the airline management should have spoken to him and maybe offered free flights for a year or upgraded his ticked for the next available flight.

They've ballsed it all up by waiting until everyone was on the plane and then removing people. Normally, these things are done at the gate, which is a much better way of doing it, and if people are uncooperative and kick up a fuss, you just shut the door and move them aside.

These internal flights in the States are always heavily overbooked, I can't remember a time when travelling there when they haven't been asking for people to go on the standby list.

In my experience, United have been the worst airline I've travelled with anyway (although I've never encountered anything like this), Continental were good until United took over, then everything lowered to the United level of service.

This is becoming increasingly prevalent. As it is known over here - the Easy Jet syndrome.

It happened to some friends and I at  Chicago O'Hare attempting to get to the inaugural MotoGP race at COTA in 2013. 

To be fair, we weren't forcibly removed from the flight - but only because we weren't actually allowed to board it in the first place. Having been diverted to Indy from Chicago due to adverse weather conditions we missed out connection to Austin. However AA did eventually lay on an additional flight to at least get us back to O'Hare. Spectacular short hop - quite literally through a window in the storm. It actually transpired that we hadn't missed the flight because the weather had prevented it from leaving. That meant our original tickets were still valid. Upon arrival we sprinted across the airport to find the gate and as we got there...it closed. There were several other disgruntled passengers and a very pissed off Forward Racing team who furiously informed us we had just been 'bumped' from our seats by Valentino bloody Rossi and his entourage. 

Never got any compensation bar a razor, a sleep mask and a bar of soap - Flew out the next morning after several hours negotiation on a pay phone and a sporadic few minutes kip on an improvised camp bed. 

Never been an ardent fan of Rossi - and frankly this didn't help. I was far more magnanimous over the thought that his mate/aide Uccio's fat arse had possibly occupied my/our designated seat(s). But you know what? as the guy from Forward grimaced over his card game - "**** me backwards, that guy even gets preferential allocation and falls on his feet in a ****ed up fly by night free for all".

If you are familiar with the current tyre shenanigans afflicting MotoGP or the history of preferential treatment towards one rider in particular - then that comment probably makes much sense. 

8 hours ago, Finnegan said:

And that right there is why I'll defend them vehemently until any ACTUAL wrong doing is proven.

Because this has all come around because, yet again, some bullshit social media video has gone viral and a shitstorm of whiney, offended-by-everything internet justice warriors like ozleicester have flown off the handle making assumptions.

The guy is a weedy looking, aged, bespectacled man from an ethnic minority and so the entire liberal half of the internet have automatically assumed he's being oppressed by the big mean airline.

It's ridiculous hysteria.

Normally i'd agree with you mate on this 100%, however watching the videos out there you can see from the reaction of others that they were upset for him, they are a strong indication of whats going on as well as what the incident is, people are always pretty nervous on planes nowadays but these fellow passengers all were concerned for the passenger - if he was a problem, they were worried by him or something else unusual was going on - then surely they'd have been applauding his removal. Obviously back when you wrote this there wasn't all the news and witnesses that have since come forward as well.

I view this situation as It's like being down the KP, one of our lads bursts into the box, normally Vards or Mahrez - gets brought down - everyone sees its a 100% pen, the players know its a 100% pen - and the ref gives nothing - whats your response then - even though you know what you've just seen, those people on the flight you could tell knew what they had just seen.

4 hours ago, Buce said:

Now they're sorry:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-39572841

Amazing how attitudes change once they start losing money.

lol 

United Airlines CEO sorry for 'horrific' passenger removal

"They treated him as less than human""They treated him as less than human"

Sensationalism at its worst. People defending a guy who acted exactly like a child who wasn't getting their way. A person trespassing on private property, refuses to leave, Police come, still refuses to leave, gets forcibly removed, acts like a child.

16 minutes ago, Firegrande said:

Sensationalism at its worst. People defending a guy who acted exactly like a child who wasn't getting their way. A person trespassing on private property, refuses to leave, Police come, still refuses to leave, gets forcibly removed, acts like a child.

I believe there to be such a thing as 'unreasonable force'. Perhaps that was demonstrated here?

There are a plethora of methods UA could have used to stop this becoming the PR nightmare - rightly or wrongly - that has seen their stock go down faster than Jimmy Saviles reputation post-mortis-scandal

5 hours ago, leicsmac said:

I believe there to be such a thing as 'unreasonable force'. Perhaps that was demonstrated here?

There are a plethora of methods UA could have used to stop this becoming the PR nightmare - rightly or wrongly - that has seen their stock go down faster than Jimmy Saviles reputation post-mortis-scandal

But for the seven billionth time, it's the local authorities not the airline who handle the removal.

This could literally be anyone.

This story is immensely depressing, you've actually just watched social media hysteria cause someone's business to lose an unbelievable amount in value.

16 hours ago, Dr The Singh said:

$800 compo, enough or not enough is something for the individual.  The guy could have e walked off and and got alot more then $800 that's for sure.

I've read about this before, along with a million other horror stories from United Airlines. A lot of people have been told they would get this money and not given it, or given $800 worth of expiring vouchers for flights and airplane flood that they will never use. 

Overbooking flights for dat extra $ is so scummy though. 

I think most people have a problem with the way they did it. You don't just drag an elderly man like a sack of potatoes. he is a human just like us and he was not putting much of a resistance. so why didn't they carry him properly, the look on his face when he was dragged like a dead body was unpleasant. Yes, he maybe was asked to get off the plane and he refused but that's not they way to go on with it.

10 hours ago, Firegrande said:

Trespassing? He purchased a ticket and was well within his rights to be on the plane. You could also argue that the airline were not getting their own way, after a monumental **** up, so decided to forcibly remove a man.

By all accounts internal flights are constantly overbooked in America so I am sure they could have dealt with the whole thing a lot better than they did.

8 minutes ago, leicesterlad1989 said:

Trespassing? He purchased a ticket and was well within his rights to be on the plane. You could also argue that the airline were not getting their own way, after a monumental **** up, so decided to forcibly remove a man.

The captain of the aircraft has full legal right to expel any passenger he wants while he is in control of it. Think of that plane as it's own little country with the pilot as it's totalitarian dictator, what he says goes.

Archived