Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
UPinCarolina

Premier League, 2017-2018 Season Thread

8 hours ago, Wymeswold fox said:

Everton still paying much of Koeman's wages..

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/everton-embroiled-bitter-contract-dispute-14468094

Thought they were a well-run club in the past, but have seemed messy in recent times.

Did Rudders leave us to join Everton?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

Yawn another Rudkin dig. At what point will some realise he's done quite a good job? You only need to look at how other clubs are doing to see that.

That you Jon?.....lol

9 hours ago, Wymeswold fox said:

Thanks to the West Ham fans..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43584859

State Funded United at it again. Sorry football needs to look into this deal. FFP my fvcking arse. Any other club would have to show running costs in its figures. I'm even starting to feel sorry for sheff utd now. Seems State Funded can break any rule going and get away with it. What next the Tax payers to pay Andy Carols wages as he's never fit then pop £30m in to buy them another striker.

The kiss arse for Spuds and State Funded really has gone to far.

• Like 2

THE TRUTH HURTS 

14 Premier League stats from this season that sound like bulls**t but are actually true

Includes wasteful Mo Salah, metronomic Granit Xhaka, and controversy-free Mike Dean...

1 Granit Xhaka is Xavi reborn

They call him Mr. Reliable (…they don’t)

AFP OR LICENSORS
They call him Mr. Reliable (…they don’t)

If you were to make a 2017/18 highlight reel for Arsenal’s Swiss midfielder it would feature plenty of balls clipped into Row D and a load of mistimed tackles.

But actually, only Nicolas Otamendi has completed more passes than the metronomic Xhaka this season.

Although that could be the Gunners’ main problem…

2 Mesut Ozil is more of a midfield enforcer than N’Golo Kante

The next Claude Makelele battles it out with N’Golo Kante

GETTY - CONTRIBUTOR
The next Claude Makelele battles it out with N’Golo Kante

Arsene Wenger’s man has received four yellow cards this season, more than the omnipresent Kante, notorious hothead Marko Arnautovic and foul-enthusiast Miguel Britos.

Despite being the subject of many an ArsenalFanTV rant during his time with the club, Ozil has shown that he actually loves to get stuck in… when it suits him.

Perhaps the defensive midfielder Arsenal have been crying out for has been under their nose the whole time? No? Okay then…

3 Cesc Fabregas + Eden Hazard = Marc Albrighton

Quick maths

GETTY IMAGES - GETTY
Quick maths

Leicester’s humble winger has provided seven league assists this campaign, the same as Fabregas (4) and Hazard (3) combined.

Not that Gareth Southgate gives a flying f**k.

4 Marcus Rashford makes Eric Dier look like a saint

Lowkey lover of a scrap

AP:ASSOCIATED PRESS
Lowkey lover of a scrap

Of course Jose Mourinho has turned Rashford into a defensive-minded workhorse.

Man United’s Golden Boy has committed 20 fouls this season, one more than Spurs hardman Eric Dier (19).

For similar results, see Man City magician David Silva committing more fouls than Jonjo Shelvey, the only man to be sent off twice this season.

5 Mohamed Salah couldn’t finish his dinner

You heard us

EPA
You heard us

No player has missed more ‘big chances’ than the Egyptian king this season.

19 times he’s squandered a golden chance — more than Christian Benteke (18) and Alvaro Morata (15).

He’s also going to win the Golden Boot… proof that everyone should remain confident and just keep shooting.

6 Richarlison is a better defender than Nicolas Otamendi

Pep would love an excuse to play him at centre-back as well

REUTERS
Pep would love an excuse to play him at centre-back as well

Watford’s No11 has made more tackles (58) than Man City’s much-improved centre-back (52).

That might be something to do with the fact Otamendi doesn’t actually have to do much defending but it’s surprising nonetheless.

Roberto Firmino (55) is the only other forward up there in the tackling stakes… must be a Brazilian thing.

7 Joselu is Paolo Maldini, Franz Beckenbauer and Franco Baresi all rolled into one

How can you be angry at that face?

GETTY - CONTRIBUTOR
How can you be angry at that face?

No wonder Joselu’s finishing is atrocious, he’s a natural defender.

The Newcastle forward may have only contributed four goals but he’s chipped in with an impressive 34 clearances, three more than £50million centre-back John Stones.

Time to give up playing as a striker, mate… for everyone’s sake.

8 Hugo Lloris and Thibaut Courtois are below average keepers

Get your head around this…

Get your head around this…

What that graphic shows (apart from David De Gea’s brilliance) is that Spurs and Chelsea’s highly-rated keepers have conceded more than they should have this season.

At least according to the Expected Goals (xG) gods.

Petr Cech’s under par efforts hardly comes as a surprise but do Lloris and Courtois get too much credit? Perhaps…

9 Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain is ever-present

Benchwarmer? Far from it…

GETTY - CONTRIBUTOR
Benchwarmer? Far from it…

Arsenal fans said the Ox wouldn’t get a game for Liverpool.

But Little Mix’s biggest fan is one of only five outfield players to have featured in 31 games this season.

10 Kevin De Bruyne and Sergio Aguero have got nothing on Cesar Azpilicueta and Alvaro Morata

Amigos

REUTERS
Amigos

Okay, so the connection between Chelsea’s Spaniards has been well-publicised.

But it’s surprising that they’ve still combined for more goals (6) than the league’s top assist provider and the league leaders’ top scorer.

Especially when you take into account Morata’s Shakespearean tragedy of a season.

11 Mike Dean shies away from the spotlight

The shy, retiring type

REUTERS
The shy, retiring type

It wouldn’t be a Premier League weekend without referee Mike Dean receiving endless abuse on Twitter.

However, maybe the claims that he likes drama aren’t true after all.

Mousa Dembele’s best mate has only shown two red cards so far this season, three fewer than Michael Oliver and Martin Atkinson, who have both shown five.

There you have it, controversy-free Dean is actually a footballing purist who wouldn’t dream of making a game about himself.

12 Big, bad Arsenal are the set-piece bullies

Remember when this fan invaded the pitch for a disallowed goal? Classic

GETTY - CONTRIBUTOR
Remember when this fan invaded the pitch for a disallowed goal? Classic

Historically, opposition teams have had success against Arsenal by bombarding them with set-pieces.

These days, the roles are reversed.

The Gunners have scored more set-piece goals (13) than any other team in the league this season.

They’ve also conceded just five goals from set-pieces, one fewer than die-hard gatekeepers Burnley.

13 Jeff Hendrick is a goal-hanger

Explain yourself, Jeffrey

DAVID KLEIN
Explain yourself, Jeffrey

Burnley’s midfield engine has somehow been caught offside 16 times so far this season, that’s more than any of Liverpool’s ultra-attacking front three.

Literally, how has that happened?

14 Jamie Vardy takes fewer shots than your average left-back

Okay, so Marcos Alonso is hardly ‘your average left-back’

GETTY - CONTRIBUTOR
Okay, so Marcos Alonso is hardly ‘your average left-back’

Chelsea’s wing-back is not shy of making his way forward and striking at goal when the opportunity comes.

With help from a few free-kicks, Alonso has racked up 55 shots this season; three more than Sadio Mane, eight more than Leroy Sane, and four more than out-and-out No9 Jamie Vardy.

Altogether now: “Marcos Alonso’s having a party…”

This artical made my head hurt. let's see.....

1- More passes don't mean that the player is creative. They even debunked their point with the Otamendi stat

2- Calling a player an "enforcer" for having more yellow cards. give me a break!

3 And 4 I won't even bother

5- Salah scoring as much as Messi and Ronaldo and wasting almost the same amount. I don't see a problem there

6- Richarlison making more tackles than Otamendi. OH, THE SHOCK AND HORROR. it's almost like man city has the ball most of the time and their defenders rarely need to make a tackle.

7- This is a meme, right? it must be. Again comparing someone with a man city defender.

8- Both having a relatively bad season

9- Fair enough. Even though appearances doesn't always mean a player is playing a lot of minutes

10- Impressive stat but you have to take into consideration that man city spreads the wealth

11- Let's give Dean a round of applause for doing his job. Bravo!:appl:

12- Again, fair enough.

13- Because Liverpool likes to counter-attack and you don't need to stay off-side when you can out-run everyone.

14-OH, sweat 'ol click bait. Making it seem like the stat is for the average LB.lol They also forgot to mention that "few free-kicks" means a lot and he scored 6 goals (iirc)

Edited by the fox

19 minutes ago, Nigel Graham Pearson said:

You are of course correct. It’s a deliberate misinterpretation of stats for the sake of humour (or ‘humour’ depending on your tastes). 

And the humour flying above an Algerian's head.

• Haha 1

The PL warns clubs against the newly-formed group 'Football Lads Alliance', who see themselves as anti-extremist but apparently had members berating Islam recently..

Edited by Wymeswold fox

3 hours ago, the fox said:

1- More passes don't mean that the player is creative. They even debunked their point with the Otamendi stat

2- Calling a player an "enforcer" for having more yellow cards. give me a break!

5- Salah scoring as much as Messi and Ronaldo and wasting almost the same amount. I don't see a problem there

6- Richarlison making more tackles than Otamendi. OH, THE SHOCK AND HORROR. it's almost like man city has the ball most of the time and their defenders rarely need to make a tackle.

7- This is a meme, right? it must be. Again comparing someone with a man city defender.

9- Fair enough. Even though appearances doesn't always mean a player is playing a lot of minutes

10- Impressive stat but you have to take into consideration that man city spreads the wealth

12- Again, fair enough.

13- Because Liverpool likes to counter-attack and you don't need to stay off-side when you can out-run everyone.

14-OH, sweat 'ol click bait. Making it seem like the stat is for the average LB.lol They also forgot to mention that "few free-kicks" means a lot and he scored 6 goals (iirc)

I think you may have had one the kids tend to call a "mare". X

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, the fox said:

12- Again, fair enough.

Mate, the joke.

Your head.

14 hours ago, the fox said:

12- Again, fair enough.

I think it was taking the piss out of mahrezfanboys who always use stats to prove he is better than Hazard/couthino/salah and how he is the best player in the City team and how he has scored as many goals as Vardy if you take away some of the goals.

Just now, FIF said:

I think it was taking the piss out of mahrezfanboys who always use stats to prove he is better than Hazard/couthino/salah and how he is the best player in the City team and how he has scored as many goals as Vardy if you take away some of the goals.

You, FIF, making a point about Mahrez/fanboys? Really?

1 minute ago, HighPeakFox said:

You, FIF, making a point about Mahrez/fanboys? Really?

I need to create a new internet persona for myself. People were tired of me always making excuses for the boysinblue and being optimisitc about a top 8 finish.

14 minutes ago, FIF said:

Who's saying that?

Honestly, FIF. I'm over it! all the Mahrez discussions and arguments. They are a waste of my time and effort. I hope every thread about him gets closed and he leaves the first day of the summer window.

Now I will go to the general discussion forum.