Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wymsey

North Korea

Just now, seanfox778 said:

Possible stupid question but why are the USA allowed nuclear weapons but North Korea aren’t? 

It's a very good question, especially as the US remains the only state who has ever used one in anger.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Bryn said:

Any dialogue is always better than no dialogue. It's been so long since the two nations have had a human relationship, the Olympics might well have done some good. We have no control over the situation so may as well be positive.

This. Churchill had it right when he talked about "jaw-jaw".

1 minute ago, seanfox778 said:

Possible stupid question but why are the USA allowed nuclear weapons but North Korea aren’t? 

Because they got them first. That's really the whole basis of the NPT, once you get down to a base level.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, leicsmac said:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-43339901

Well now. If this does happen, and denuclearisation does occur as a result, then Trump can consider it a serious victory for his administration and policy on this one.

Shades of "only Nixon could go to China" about it all.

If this is all true and does happen then honestly fair play to both sides.

Trump & Kim joint nobel peace prize lol

Trump suceeding where the others have failed. The severity of the threat against Kim probably just sunk home. No doubt the swamp will have a negative spin ready to put on this. Trump showing stregnth in leadership - dont fcuk with America, fair play

Guest seanfox778
38 minutes ago, somebum said:

From your own personal standpoint, Who would you rather had them? 

I'm not too sure really, I don't really follow what goes on in the world regarding what countries have better weapons than others I was just curious if there was a reason North Korea aren't allowed them. 

On 3/6/2018 at 18:41, seanfox778 said:

Basically

us.jpg

v

nk.jpg

Edited by yorkie1999

6 minutes ago, seanfox778 said:

I'm not too sure really, I don't really follow what goes on in the world regarding what countries have better weapons than others I was just curious if there was a reason North Korea aren't allowed them. 

Well we can either let our friends have them or...

Bit early to give Trump any credit considering it is clearly South Korea doing all the good diplomacy here. I suspect President Moon, who has buttered up Trump a treat, has had a word saying there will never again be an American president as easy to manipulate as Trump, so go and massage his ego and you'll get whatever you want. But while South Korea might be in control, put the rocket man and the dotard in a room together and who the hell knows what will happen.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Rogstanley said:

Bit early to give Trump any credit considering it is clearly South Korea doing all the good diplomacy here. I suspect President Moon, who has buttered up Trump a treat, has had a word saying there will never again be an American president as easy to manipulate as Trump, so go and massage his ego and you'll get whatever you want. But while South Korea might be in control, put the rocket man and the dotard in a room together and who the hell knows what will happen.

You can't really believe that America and South Korea weren't in constant contact during the last month when South Korea were talking to North Korea during the Olympics and before.  It's been joint diplomacy, probably with Chinese involvement behind the scenes as well.

But I agree, it's too early to give any credit until a breakthrough is made.  Either way, it's a positive development.  Let's just hope this isn't another false dawn like the Clinton and North Korea accords during the 1990s when North Korea used the opportunity to continue to develop their programmes with less heat on them.

• Like 1

I struggle to believe that n.Korea will give up their weapons as that is their protecting against a country whose president rips up agreements left, right and centre. I would have thought they'd try to bargain no further tests or development against an end to the us in South Korea. I'd be surprised if it is more than that. 

The north are the ones playing the blinder. How anybody can give Trump credit for overseeing North Korea becoming a nuclear power is beyond me. They've also brought the us government to the table - which they've been after for the last 25 years since Clinton ran out if time in office - by gaining weapons. They've seen how Trump handles countries like Iran that haven't got them. They have them and have forced him to the table.

5 hours ago, somebum said:

Trump suceeding where the others have failed. The severity of the threat against Kim probably just sunk home. No doubt the swamp will have a negative spin ready to put on this. Trump showing stregnth in leadership - dont fcuk with America, fair play

Not sure I entirely buy that - it's not like the US nuclear arsenal was just developed yesterday, is it?

More likely Kim has realised that he's dealing with a person as narcissistic as he is and so this might be a smarter way to maintain power.

4 hours ago, somebum said:

Realpolitik is a proper bastard, IMO.

3 hours ago, Rogstanley said:

16 minutes ago, toddybad said:

I struggle to believe that n.Korea will give up their weapons as that is their protecting against a country whose president rips up agreements left, right and centre. I would have thought they'd try to bargain no further tests or development against an end to the us in South Korea. I'd be surprised if it is more than that. 

The north are the ones playing the blinder. How anybody can give Trump credit for overseeing North Korea becoming a nuclear power is beyond me. They've also brought the us government to the table - which they've been after for the last 25 years since Clinton ran out if time in office - by gaining weapons. They've seen how Trump handles countries like Iran that haven't got them. They have them and have forced him to the table.

TBH, to quote Foreman-speaking-to-House here, "I'm happy for the patient."

Don't get me wrong, this administration is still an utter disaster in every area apart from the economic one for a select few demographics and the science/environmental stuff still outweighs anything else they might do...but despite all that this is a success amongst all that and that looks good for everyone involved.

I'd like to believe the most recent developments are true.... Part of me wonders if  Kim is just buying time and will be working on finalizing the technology for weapons whist he is   'negotiating.

and then " tada! look at my nuclear weapons".

i'd actually like to visit North Korea one day. Seems a fascinating place.

1 hour ago, MPH said:

I'd like to believe the most recent developments are true.... Part of me wonders if  Kim is just buying time and will be working on finalizing the technology for weapons whist he is   'negotiating.

and then " tada! look at my nuclear weapons".

25 years of hard labour for you mate.

Guest seanfox778
9 hours ago, somebum said:

No countries are friends with each other. It's all a big business.

2 hours ago, MPH said:

The broadcaster, journalist, and speaker Andy Kershaw used to travel there regularly for that reason. Often wondered why given the appalling human rights abuses but I think from his testimonies he was very touched by the people and the culture. 

The South Korean's are the forgotten people in all of this. Moon is the man who is making all of this happen, he's a pacifist and he's opened up a pathway to peace. I fully believe that North Korea will denuclearise provided that the US leave South Korea. Will they though?

17 hours ago, leicsmac said:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-43339901

Well now. If this does happen, and denuclearisation does occur as a result, then Trump can consider it a serious victory for his administration and policy on this one.

Shades of "only Nixon could go to China" about it all.

Excellent historical comparison, because Nixon was mad too. lol

13 hours ago, somebum said:

The crazy man comes through, eh. Whatever next... the Middle East?