Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Stinkenzo

The OH Leuven Thread

A place to follow the progress of our new feeder club in the Belgian 2nd division, monitor players that will possibly head over there on loan or players of theirs that will undoubtedly be linked with us.

They were relegated from the Belgium top division the season we won the Premier League. Last season they came closer to another relegation than gaining promotion but you'd expect some shrewd changes with King Power now running things. If they were to chuck just a tiny bit of money on players this season you'd imagine they could be looking at returning to the top division.

They kick their season off at home to Lierse on Saturday 5th August

Club website albeit in Dutch with no available English translation..

Club Twitter account

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Leicester_Numan said:

Feeder club?

It'll benefit us by allowing players to go on loan in either direction and offers will be guaranteed to be accepted by each club but King Power haven't bought them to feed us a constant stream of players to the detriment of Leuven.

I'd be surprised if some youth players didn't come over and train with us. Yeah this wouldn't be anything like the situation at Charlton/Watford.

I think people are going to be disappointed tbh.

They're not our feeder club, they're a club owned by the same family.

Our owners aren't the Pozzos. I don't see players flying back and forth between the clubs. Our owners like a club to be self sufficient and all the press made it clear that this was Top's project, Top flying the nest. A billionaire businessman's coming of age.

Don't see us likely to exploit them or get much from them.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Walkers said:

I was wondering if this would happen, I guessed what from I saw on their website that they had already released their new shirt but maybe not

This must be the new one - their most recent signing, Julien Gorius, posed with the previous one, featuring a v-shaped stripe:

http://m.nieuwsblad.be/cnt/dmf20170613_02923755?utm_source=google

On 2017-6-15 at 09:54, Finnegan said:

I think people are going to be disappointed tbh.

They're not our feeder club, they're a club owned by the same family.

Our owners aren't the Pozzos. I don't see players flying back and forth between the clubs. Our owners like a club to be self sufficient and all the press made it clear that this was Top's project, Top flying the nest. A billionaire businessman's coming of age.

Don't see us likely to exploit them or get much from them.

So if an absolute diamond happens to develop through their ranks, with many top flight teams interested, do you not think they would 'sell' them to us.

Said player could then move on again after developing further, for a far heftier price. 

I think it's entirely plausible that some of their better players could end up here. 

I don't know what the tax implications will be off this. If Leuven sell a player to us, who sets the price? Can the club sell a player to us at an artificially low price, can they sell us a player at an over inflated price to transfer money between the clubs?Seems a bit of a minefield to me although it's been done before. 

1 hour ago, wardyfox86 said:

So if an absolute diamond happens to develop through their ranks, with many top flight teams interested, do you not think they would 'sell' them to us.

Said player could then move on again after developing further, for a far heftier price. 

I think it's entirely plausible that some of their better players could end up here. 

Hehehe, you know that this is a club, that has delivered exactly ONE player from their youth teams in the past decade? All the others either got pushed out, left on their own, or got stuck in the youth team. Usually they get two or three matches where they get 10 minutes of play time, and if they don't prove to be Messi or Ronaldo, they are gone. This club is known for ignoring or ****ing up talented youth players. So, before they ge to a stage where they develop a talent that is ready for the Premier League, they might want to start developing players that are ready for the Belgian second division. Baby steps. Don't get me wrong, OHL has a good youth division, but a lot has to change in the hierarchy of the club before talented players can push through.

56 minutes ago, Pelotas said:

Hi everyone, some info:

• regarding the youngsters/feeder club: OH Leuven actually has quite a strong youth development system and is considered by some to be "top 6" in Belgium, especially for a team from the second division as it is ranked higher (by both Belgian FA and FIFA) than several teams playing the first division. On the other hand, the amount of players really growing through the youth ranks into the first team over the last few years has been modest to say the least. First of all, historically it has always been difficult for Belgian teams to keep their good youngsters as the really good ones often moved abroad early on, while the few gems that remained in the already small Belgian talent pool were typically snatched up with the big five teams in Belgium, the likes of Anderlecht, Club Brugge, Standard Liège, Genk and Gent. Examples from the city of Leuven are Dries Mertens (played at one of the predecessor teams in Leuven until he was 11 before being snatched away by Anderlecht) and Dennis Praet (also at same predecessor team but left at age 8 to Genk). On top of that OH Leuven somehow manages to squander the remaining talents, as many of them finally leave without getting an opportunity only to show their real skills at the next team, with Cyriel Dessers a recent example (scoring machine just caused NAC Breda to promote into the Dutch Eredivisie but only played 1 official match at OHL). Finally, in spite of the fact that the Belgian national team is doing quite well recently, the really good youngsters are still at the big Belgian teams and the ones that are 18+ when they leave OHL, like Cyriel Dessers and Dion Cools (signed by Club Brugge at 19y) are imho still far from being good enough to play in the premier league. Therefore putting "5 years +" on this as a time frame is really optimistic. I would rather say that one player per decade making it into the Leicester first team would already be a huge success. To increase the chances, it is vital that OHL promotes back to the highest level asap to attract more players by making a name for itself. This way they will get a chance of competing with the bigger youth teams. On a side note, King Power did not acquire the youth teams which remain in control of the team and the city of Leuven.

• Joining the board of directors at OH Leuven are Aiyawatt Srivaddhanaprabha (probably rather Khun Top), Susan Whelan and Jon Rudkin. This seems to indicate a strong link between both clubs.

• Reading the OH Leuven forum (ohlforum.be, feel free to come and join) it seems that many supporters are hoping for some Leicester youngsters to come and play at OHL. Wouldn't mind that myself. Also what about a friendly? :D

• On the shirts: yes those from the image above are the new ones, the white is the home kit, red is away. In the picture from left to right are: Dirk Robbeets (politician), Carl Devlies (politician), Louis Tobback (mayor of Leuven), Aiyawatt Srivaddhanaprabha (?), Chris Vandebroeck (interim chairman after the previous guy resigned last september following the third-part ownership scandal), Khun Top (apparently going to lead OHL now)

• It is true that all season ticket holders will get either a free shirt or a pre-match dinner. Mister Top also said that "these kind of things will happen more and more for the OH Leuven supporter" => looking forward to that :D

• If anyone is interested in the press conference regarding the takeover (apologies for the awful english pronounciation): 

greetings from Leuven!

Thank you for the update good luck next season