Jump to content
DJ Barry Hammond

Politics Thread (encompassing Brexit) - 21 June 2017 onwards

Recommended Posts

Must be something else in the pipeline. Nobody would just resign for touching a knee.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

British manufacturers reported stronger growth in October, driven by higher domestic demand and export orders.

The IHS Markit/CIPS purchasing managers' index (PMI) rose to 56.3 last month, from 56 in September. A reading above 50 indicates expansion.

It was the fifteenth consecutive month of expansion for the sector, and will fuel debate over whether the economy is ready for an interest rate rise.

The news sent the pound to its highest against the dollar since early October.

Sterling rose 0.2% to $1.331. The pound also rose 0.3% versus the euro to €1.143, marking its highest level against the eurozone currency since early June.

"UK manufacturing made an impressive start to the final quarter of 2017 as increased inflows of new work encouraged firms to ramp up production," said Rob Dobson, a senior economist at IHS Markit.

PMI growth chart

The report said the UK domestic market was the prime source of new manufacturing orders. However, growth of the consumer goods sector fell to a seven-month low as new contracts eased.

New export orders increased at a slightly slower pace as well, according to IHS Markit, due to the recent fluctuations in the pound sterling.

More than 50% of manufacturers surveyed said they expected output to be higher in one year's time.

However, Duncan Brock, a director at the Chartered Institute of Procurement & Supply, which compiled the survey with IHS, warned about rising commodity prices and competition for raw materials.

Manufacturers, he said, faced an "endless onslaught of inflationary pressures" caused by rising commodity prices and competition for raw materials.

He added that the PMI data "should not lull anyone into a false sense of security, as the Brexit negotiations are still causing some jitters amongst clients".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Strokes said:

No wonder you are always skint :whistle:

 

She hasn't been one for years and I didn't meet her in any such capacity lol

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Innovindil said:

Damn Romanian women, coming over here, stealing our men. lol

Had a Polish girl too. I'll miss the eastern Europeans....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Webbo said:

Must be something else in the pipeline. Nobody would just resign for touching a knee.

 

Sounds like it: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-41838682

"Defence Secretary Sir Michael Fallon has resigned following allegations of past behaviour, the BBC has been told. He said his behaviour in the past may have "fallen short".

 

Unless he's done something much more serious, this all risks going over the top - and more serious misconduct risks being overlooked.

By far the most serious accusation is by the young woman who was on the Labour NEC, who accused a more senior official (not an MP) of raping her. That's almost being overlooked, which is outrageous.

 

O'Mara is clearly an arse but doesn't seem to have done much more than acting like a loudmouth shit before he was an MP.

Even if there's any truth in the Damian Green allegations (he denies it all), I don't feel too much sympathy for the woman concerned. It was clearly out of order if he made a pass at her when she was seeking careers advice.

But then his second alleged pass was after she had agreed to have photos of herself in a corset published in a tabloid......and even after the passes, apparently she stayed in regular contact with him - doubtless thinking it might help her career!

It's hard to see her as an innocent, damaged flower, even if she is telling the truth.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

 

Sounds like it: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-41838682

"Defence Secretary Sir Michael Fallon has resigned following allegations of past behaviour, the BBC has been told. He said his behaviour in the past may have "fallen short".

 

Unless he's done something much more serious, this all risks going over the top - and more serious misconduct risks being overlooked.

By far the most serious accusation is by the young woman who was on the Labour NEC, who accused a more senior official (not an MP) of raping her. That's almost being overlooked, which is outrageous.

 

O'Mara is clearly an arse but doesn't seem to have done much more than acting like a loudmouth shit before he was an MP.

Even if there's any truth in the Damian Green allegations (he denies it all), I don't feel too much sympathy for the woman concerned. It was clearly out of order if he made a pass at her when she was seeking careers advice.

But then his second alleged pass was after she had agreed to have photos of herself in a corset published in a tabloid......and even after the passes, apparently she stayed in regular contact with him - doubtless thinking it might help her career!

It's hard to see her as an innocent, damaged flower, even if she is telling the truth.

 

Besides which, trying it on with somebody, being told no and leaving it there.....surely we don't live in a world where that has seen as immoral? It's surely if you don't take no for an answer that there's a problem? Touching a knee but stopping when told is just not newsworthy. Maybe would be interesting to get a woman's take.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, toddybad said:

Had a Polish girl too. I'll miss the eastern Europeans....

Now we know why you are so anti brexit, a selfish romantic :D

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Super-Rich and Us on BBC2, well worth a watch.

To sum up, the 'trickle down' economic theory first sold to us by Thatcher 

whereby the richest in society are not taxed in the belief that their wealth will

then trickle down to the rest of us was a lie. In fact the opposite is happening,

our money is trickling up to them. Who'd have thunk it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, toddybad said:

Had a Polish girl too. I'll miss the eastern Europeans....

Wow.  For a left leaning person you certainly write in a very disrespectful way about women.. I thought you lefties were all about respect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Spiritwalker said:

The Super-Rich and Us on BBC2, well worth a watch.

To sum up, the 'trickle down' economic theory first sold to us by Thatcher 

whereby the richest in society are not taxed in the belief that their wealth will

then trickle down to the rest of us was a lie. In fact the opposite is happening,

our money is trickling up to them. Who'd have thunk it?

Oh FFS.  Thatcher literally never said any such thing.  Are you about 12?  Trickle down economics is a myth created by the left.

 

The question is whether allowing the wealthy of the world to come to the UK, and encouraging direct foreign investment brings money into our economy.  I believe it does.  Does it help equality?  Yes and no, but if everyone is better off who gives a shit.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

Wow.  For a left leaning person you certainly write in a very disrespectful way about women.. I thought you lefties were all about respect.

Could invert that and say that the right (with their penchant in certain parts for social conservatism) can't really be lobbing rocks regarding any kind of women's issues either. Not when they're more keen on enforcing gender stereotypes than the left are (though thankfully not so much in the UK as elsewhere).

 

Of course, you might respond that both of the female Prime Ministers in British history have been members of the Conservative party...but the response to that could well be that they had the same views on such equality issues as their male counterparts had (and have), so it's not really relevant.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Spiritwalker said:

The Super-Rich and Us on BBC2, well worth a watch.

To sum up, the 'trickle down' economic theory first sold to us by Thatcher 

whereby the richest in society are not taxed in the belief that their wealth will

then trickle down to the rest of us was a lie. In fact the opposite is happening,

our money is trickling up to them. Who'd have thunk it?

If we drop some acid we could also blame Thatcher for the slave trade while we are at it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

Oh FFS.  Thatcher literally never said any such thing.  Are you about 12?  Trickle down economics is a myth created by the left.

 

The question is whether allowing the wealthy of the world to come to the UK, and encouraging direct foreign investment brings money into our economy.  I believe it does.  Does it help equality?  Yes and no, but if everyone is better off who gives a shit.

 What are you saying Thatcher never said? That we shouldn't tax the super rich, of course

she didn't.😀 are you 12.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, toddybad said:

Besides which, trying it on with somebody, being told no and leaving it there.....surely we don't live in a world where that has seen as immoral? It's surely if you don't take no for an answer that there's a problem? Touching a knee but stopping when told is just not newsworthy. Maybe would be interesting to get a woman's take.

 

I completely agree - provided there's no power relationship involved, which there wasn't with Fallon/Hartley-Brewer, unless there's something else behind his resignation. Odd statement that he made, all about the standards expected by the army - as if a soldier would never put his hand on someone's knee.

 

If there's any truth in the allegation that Damian Green propositioned a young woman seeking advice about her career (which he denies), that would be a bit more dodgy - implying that he'd help her get on in return for sexual favours. But she sounds like someone who'd make sure she'd get on, anyway. I was about to refer to her climbing the greasy pole, but thought that might be misunderstood. :rolleyes:

 

I bet the tabloids are loving this: titillating stories about sex scandals + discrediting of elected politicians = more sales + less credibility for politicians seeking to regulate press.

 

I'm no fan of the Tories and this is a rotten, weak government, but seriously.....we're at a critical stage of the most important political process for decades (Brexit) and everyone's in a frenzy about hands on knees?!?

This country needs to get a grip!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Fox Ulike said:

OK. You're probably right. The horse is dead.

 

Still, the leave campaign was based on some next level bullshit, and even now, I believe it’s wrong to pretend otherwise, or to pretend that it doesn’t matter. It does. Or rather, it should do (as I seem to be in a minority here).

 

There was a big difference between the bullshit on each side. The story about instant recession was factual. It was from an IMF report. So not actually bullshit, but just an inaccurate prediction.

 

The big red bus was just an outright lie. But hey ho. Whaddyagonna do?

It sure as hell was.

 

We actually the send the EU £363m per week.  Boris should apologise. :whistle:

 

https://visual.ons.gov.uk/the-uk-contribution-to-the-eu-budget/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, toddybad said:

Besides which, trying it on with somebody, being told no and leaving it there.....surely we don't live in a world where that has seen as immoral? It's surely if you don't take no for an answer that there's a problem? Touching a knee but stopping when told is just not newsworthy. Maybe would be interesting to get a woman's take.

I suppose it depends what form ‘trying it on’ takes.

 

Asking a woman out for a drink next to grabbing her arse.

 

There is a line and we all know where it is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Realist Guy In The Room said:

I suppose it depends what form ‘trying it on’ takes.

 

Asking a woman out for a drink next to grabbing her arse.

 

There is a line and we all know where it is.

Yeah, that's kinda my point

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jon the Hat said:

Oh FFS.  Thatcher literally never said any such thing.  Are you about 12?  Trickle down economics is a myth created by the left.

 

The question is whether allowing the wealthy of the world to come to the UK, and encouraging direct foreign investment brings money into our economy.  I believe it does.  Does it help equality?  Yes and no, but if everyone is better off who gives a shit.

Didn't realise Reagan was a leftie :whistle:. Yeah, the term as a dismissive ridicule of it is a left wing thing, but what they're ridiculing (tax cuts for the rich to enable them to invest and create wealth for the poorer) is a right wing idea (and is a myth, it simply does not happen like that)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, The Doctor said:

Didn't realise Reagan was a leftie :whistle:. Yeah, the term as a dismissive ridicule of it is a left wing thing, but what they're ridiculing (tax cuts for the rich to enable them to invest and create wealth for the poorer) is a right wing idea (and is a myth, it simply does not happen like that)

And yet living standards have doubled since the early 80s. For a system that doesn't work it's not doing bad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Webbo said:

And yet living standards have doubled since the early 80s. For a system that doesn't work it's not doing bad.

Jesus you're boring. It's more than doubled in communist China!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, toddybad said:

Jesus you're boring. It's more than doubled in communist China!

It's not as communist as it was. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×