Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

Politics Thread (encompassing Brexit) - 21 June 2017 onwards

Bit of an aside (and an old video so you may already have seen it) but this O'Brien call-in just popped up on my youtube recommendations and it raises a lot of good points about the Brexit misdirection campaign:

3 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

Bit of an aside (and an old video so you may already have seen it) but this O'Brien call-in just popped up on my youtube recommendations and it raises a lot of good points about the Brexit misdirection campaign:

Spend too much of my time watching O'Brien on Youtube. He rinses Brexiteer after Brexiteer. The thing is, he shows again and again that the decision is foolish and illogical and is based on how people feel rather than reality but then Brexiteers on this threads have really shown that they almost admit it was based on feeling and are happy with that. I find the whole thing bizarre. 

P.S. Only just noted the Radiohead lyrics under your name on the left - good work fella!

Edited by Guest

23 minutes ago, toddybad said:

Spend too much of my time watching O'Brien on Youtube. He rinses Brexiteer after Brexiteer. The thing is, he shows again and again that the decision is foolish and illogical and is based on how people feel rather than reality but then Brexiteers on this threads have really shown that they almost admit it was based on feeling and are happy with that. I find the whole thing bizarre. 

P.S. Only just noted the Radiohead lyrics under your name on the left - good work fella!

I would say remainers opinions are based on feeling rather than reality. There hasn't been an upsurge in racism, the economic disasters they were predicting haven't happened. Western civilisation is still intact, world war 3 doesn't seem imminent and Scottish independence seems more unlikely than it did before.It's seems what the educated people told us would happen hasn't occurred and what us thickos said would happen has , and yet we're still told it's going to be a disaster despite all the evidence to the contrary . Surely that's more feeling than logic?

Just now, Webbo said:

I would say remainers opinions are based on feeling rather than reality. There hasn't been an upsurge in racism, the economic disasters they were predicting haven't happened. Western civilisation is still intact, world war 3 doesn't seem imminent and Scottish independence seems more unlikely than it did before.It's seems what the educated people told us would happen hasn't occurred and what us thickos said would happen has , and yet we're still told it's going to be a disaster despite all the evidence to the contrary . Surely that's more feeling than logic?

We haven't left yet. 

The government has revealed through a job advert how it plans to tackle unfair trade after Brexit.

A new body called the UK Trade Remedies Organisation will be set up to tackle allegations of unfair competition and investigate complaints.

The online advert for a digital design lead said the organisation needs to be up and running by October 2018 - ahead of the UK's exit in March 2019.

The UK can then enforce its own trade rules - a job currently done by the EU.

"This is a challenging deadline and the Trade Remedies Implementation Team is being formed to ensure this is effectively delivered on time," read the advert.

The organisation will be an "arm's length body" of the Department for International Trade.

The group's implementation team - which the new recruit will join - will be responsible for hiring 130 staff and designing the organisation, including its IT, HR and finance structures.

However, prospective candidates have been warned they will be working in a "changing and uncertain environment", with changes to policy possible as "thinking develops", as legislation moves through parliament, and because of the on-going negotiation with the EU.

"This is a brand new function in the UK and delivering a fully functional and fit-for-purpose organisation by October 2018 is a huge challenge," read the advert.

The job offers a salary of between £48,483 and £56,370.

1 minute ago, Webbo said:

You cling to that, it's good for a couple of years yet.

Look, if you're right i benefit so i ain't gonna be crying if britain does well. You can gloat to your heart's content if that's the outcome.

If it isn't though, i fear that there's going to be some serious unrest between the two sides. You can't ignore all of the experts, see the country fare badly as you were told and not expect to be very squarely blamed. 

16 hours ago, Webbo said:

So I'm just imagining the shitty exchange rate for the Euros that I bought for my holiday then? Or the prices going up in the shops? So far, Brexit has had negative effects and no positive ones (and it hasn't even happened yet), so it's a little early to be giving it the whole "I told you so".

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, toddybad said:

Even the tory boys surely can't defend this

Judge warns of 'blood on our hands' if suicidal girl is forced out of secure care

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2017/aug/03/judge-warns-of-blood-on-our-hands-if-suicidal-girl-is-forced-out-of-secure-care?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

You're absolutely correct. I can't defend it. I simply don't understand that we live in a world where people can choose to be anything they want to be, but can't choose to end their own life, simply because people fear death. 

A true tragedy. If she's made numerous attempts at her own life, stop punishing her by making her live. 

2 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

You're absolutely correct. I can't defend it. I simply don't understand that we live in a world where people can choose to be anything they want to be, but can't choose to end their own life, simply because people fear death. 

A true tragedy. If she's made numerous attempts at her own life, stop punishing her by making her live. 

She's mentally ill. She needs care and recovery. The poor girl's 17. You can't just let people kill themselves because it's easier than trying to help them.

Wow the right can be monstrous.

4 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

Wow.

You really are a piece of work, aren't you.

29 minutes ago, toddybad said:

Judge warns of 'blood on our hands' if suicidal girl is forced out of secure care

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2017/aug/03/judge-warns-of-blood-on-our-hands-if-suicidal-girl-is-forced-out-of-secure-care?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

I don't think anyone is going to try and defend it, I've seen first hand how shit the NHS can be with mental health and that on a relatively mild case compared to this case. There's still a massive societal misunderstanding of it and that includes large swathes of the people that have to deal with it everyday. It's not just a problem in this country, nowhere seems to have a great grasp of it.

My problem lies in the fact you clearly didn't want to discuss the state of mental health services in this country, or what more we should be doing (other than throwing money at it) or mental health itself, or anything constructive like that, you made it party political which immediately gets peoples backs up. The last Labour government cut mental health bed spaces by 30%, more than the 25% cut since 2010. I'm not justifying the 25% cut but that's the route you chose to go down. 

• Like 1

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/02/20/nhs-breaking-point-now-norm-says-bma-bed-reductions-revealed/

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/devastating-nhs-mental-health-budget-7727991

http://www.itv.com/news/2016-11-30/over-half-of-mental-health-trusts-cut-crisis-beds-despite-government-1-billion-funding-pledge/

http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/health/639515/Mental-health-care-crisis-cuts

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-4712710/40-cent-mental-health-units-date-unsafe.html

The press on all sides show examples of the crippled nhs. 

14 minutes ago, KingGTF said:

I don't think anyone is going to try and defend it, I've seen first hand how shit the NHS can be with mental health and that on a relatively mild case compared to this case. There's still a massive societal misunderstanding of it and that includes large swathes of the people that have to deal with it everyday. It's not just a problem in this country, nowhere seems to have a great grasp of it.

My problem lies in the fact you clearly didn't want to discuss the state of mental health services in this country, or what more we should be doing (other than throwing money at it) or mental health itself, or anything constructive like that, you made it party political which immediately gets peoples backs up. The last Labour government cut mental health bed spaces by 30%, more than the 25% cut since 2010. I'm not justifying the 25% cut but that's the route you chose to go down. 

Where have you got those figures from?

59 minutes ago, toddybad said:

It's not really a subject I wish to comment on, due to personal reasons.

17 minutes ago, Strokes said:

It's not really a subject I wish to comment on, due to personal reasons.

I guess it's best to close this one down here then. Sorry mate :unsure:

53 minutes ago, toddybad said:

She's mentally ill. She needs care and recovery. The poor girl's 17. You can't just let people kill themselves because it's easier than trying to help them.

Wow the right can be monstrous.

How long ago was it we were classifying being homosexual as mentally ill? They are now welcomed (and rightly so!) into society. Her brain is different, why does that automatically mean it's wrong. 

She's 17. Old enough to legally create life but not allowed to take her own? Why? Because she thinks differently? If she truly believes death is preferable to life who are we to label and judge her? 

50 minutes ago, Buce said:

Wow.

You really are a piece of work, aren't you.

100%. Better to join the herd and force people to live who don't want to. How morally acceptable. 

Edit: last post on the subject if we're dropping it, don't want to upset anyone. 

Edited by Innovindil

41 minutes ago, toddybad said:

I guess it's best to close this one down here then. Sorry mate :unsure:

Feel free to debate it, I wouldn't want to tell anyone what they can and can't discuss. I've tried to debate it before but my views are very emotionally charged and not particularly friendly on this subject. So I'd rather not air them again.

8 minutes ago, MattP said:

https://mg.co.za/article/2013-04-19-00-margaret-thatchers-shameful-support-for-apartheid

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/personal-view/3635244/Thatcher-always-honoured-Britains-debt-to-Pinochet.html

Genuinely embarrassing this woman once ran our entire country. :ph34r:

(Honestly, I've said it before and I'll say it again - no side has the moral highground when it comes to this one.)

Guest MattP
Just now, leicsmac said:

https://mg.co.za/article/2013-04-19-00-margaret-thatchers-shameful-support-for-apartheid

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/personal-view/3635244/Thatcher-always-honoured-Britains-debt-to-Pinochet.html

Genuinely embarrassing this woman once ran our entire country. :ph34r:

(Honestly, I've said it before and I'll say it again - no side has the moral highground when it comes to this one.)

Leaving aside the now stock "look over there" reply, do you actually think this is a fair comparison? 

I almost get the feeling we're going to be having Labour members, MP's etc doing things in 2050 and people still trying to deflect from it positing links about Thatcher from before their lifetime.

3 minutes ago, MattP said:

Leaving aside the now stock "look over there" reply, do you actually think this is a fair comparison? 

I almost get the feeling we're going to be having Labour members, MP's etc doing things in 2050 and people still trying to deflect from it positing links about Thatcher from before their lifetime.

How about May sitting on the report which is alleged to name the country she rushed to visit (saudi arabia) as a funder of terrorism against the west? Amber Rudd also defended the sale of arms to them despite this issue as well as human rights issues as good for British industry. Morals have never exactly been the tory's strong point have they?

Edited by Guest

1 minute ago, MattP said:

I agree, but it works both ways. People will still be using Blair as a stick to beat Labour for decades too. I'd never have voted for Blair and wouldn't begin to back him up but the opposition will still talk about Blair/Brown's failures as though it's particularly relevant 20 years down the line. 

• Like 2