Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Southern Fox

Danny Drinkwater

I'm at a loss to the lack of form of Danny Drinkwater

I say form as I'm guessing that is the reason for him disappearing from first team action this year

To go from Player of the Year in a Promotion season to not getting any match time is pretty dramatic in my opinion

15 starts and 3 sub appearance is all he has to show for this season to date

EC & MJ have formed a reasonable partnership but its far from perfect

He was given a bumper deal in summer but hasn't featured since Jan 31st

Find the whole thing rather odd

His whole time here has been inconsistent really. He dominated against us for Barnsley, we signed him, and he was solid enough. Start of his first full season he was solid and then his form significantly dropped when we were on that horrid run. The season after - last season - he was absolutely quality and rightly picked up the player of the season award. And again this season he hasn't featured much due to lack of form I guess.

I still think he is our only midfielder that has that drive. Matt James goes sidewards a lot and his lack of pace means he struggles to run with the ball.

Look we are bottom of the league. A lot of things have gone wrong this season. Hard to determine whether it is the players or the management of the players. I lean towards the latter. If you had said to many at the start of the season which players you felt were prem quality, many would have gone with drinky. Don't you just wish (like many of the players I'm sure) we could start this season all over again. Mind you if we did I'm not to sure we would learn from the mistakes anyway.

Jamo and Drinky and Esteban for me in a 3 man midfield if we want to try and control midfield to give us an attacking base in remaining games.

This but it won't happen

I REPEAT FOR THE UMPTEENTH TIME - OUR BEST FOOTBALL THIS SEASON WAS FIRST 30 MINS AT ANFIELD AND HOME TO SPURS 2nd HALF WHERE JAMES AND DD PLAYERD IN A MIDFIELD 2 ( with DH screening away)

DD has failed to perform when paired with AK and when played wide in the diamond.

This but it won't happen

I REPEAT FOR THE UMPTEENTH TIME - OUR BEST FOOTBALL THIS SEASON WAS FIRST 30 MINS AT ANFIELD AND HOME TO SPURS 2nd HALF WHERE JAMES AND DD PLAYERD IN A MIDFIELD 2 ( with DH screening away)

DD has failed to perform when paired with AK and when played wide in the diamond.

THIS THIS THIS THIS AND THIS.

Kasper :rolleyes:

RDL Wes Huth Schlupp

James

Cambiasso Drinky

Messiah                     Vardy

Kram

If we're going to play him I'd pick that but id rather not have him in the side atm

Drinky has been diabolical this season, wouldn't be surprised if he gets flogged off. It's sad considering what he did last season, but he's clearly been resting on his laurels for too long now.

Matty James is the most overrated player I know to have worn a City shirt. People make him out to be a regular superstar for us, but what has he genuinely done?

I said this at the start of the season: Matty James and Ritchie de Laet have been as inconsistent as each other this season, but Matty James is favoured because of his good looks and RDL isn't because he isn't the most confident guy around.

For those saying Drinkwater has been 'diabolical' etc..... (Not ect), has he really been given much of a chance? The midfields this season I can mainly recollect have been James and Cambiclasso?

Any player, to regain any form, and to make a step up, surely needs a consistent run of games don't they? I wonder how he might have come on having been given them? He might have still been poor, but I don't think I've seen enough of him this season to be able to make a verdict of 'diabolical' and the such like.

Good managers get the best out of players,

Neil Warnock - Glen Murray  shipped out on loan Reading Championship 

Alan Pardew  5 Goals 2 assists 447 mins

Put into context Ulloa 7 goals 1796 mins or 2 in his last 1290 mins of football, kinda gone the other way like confidence from Brighton slowly ebbed out of him, similar to Chris Wood when he joined

His whole time here has been inconsistent really. He dominated against us for Barnsley, we signed him, and he was solid enough. Start of his first full season he was solid and then his form significantly dropped when we were on that horrid run. The season after - last season - he was absolutely quality and rightly picked up the player of the season award. And again this season he hasn't featured much due to lack of form I guess.

I still think he is our only midfielder that has that drive. Matt James goes sidewards a lot and his lack of pace means he struggles to run with the ball.

You think drinkwater is quicker than James?? Wow. The reason drinkwater isn't featuring is because he is incredibly slow and incredibly weak. Playing in a team that is on top he looks great but the side we are in this league he becomes a passenger. He hasn't played since the Man Utd game because quite simply that game more than any other showed the two wweaknessss I have mentioned above the most.

Matty James is favoured because of his good looks and RDL isn't because he isn't the most confident guy around.

Been on the tequila? 

You think drinkwater is quicker than James?? Wow. The reason drinkwater isn't featuring is because he is incredibly slow and incredibly weak. Playing in a team that is on top he looks great but the side we are in this league he becomes a passenger. He hasn't played since the Man Utd game because quite simply that game more than any other showed the two wweaknessss I have mentioned above the most.

Have you seen James? He must be one of the slowest players in the squad. Drinkwater has played very little so I'm not sure how you conclude he isn't good enough.

This but it won't happen

Tis true.

Imo James has had a massive job on his hands this season in playing as a two with Cambi, purely as he's had to do the running for two - much to his own detriment I feel. In a three I we would have a chance to see the good player I believe he can be at this level.

Last season, it was him who was very underated, and without whom DD was not the same player. Jaymo is a very tidy player himself, who moved the ball quickly, very rarely gave the ball away and did run with the ball to create things if there was space in front of him.

Clearly DD's lack of form has been a major factor in our predicament this season - another 'if only' we could add to the list.

Have you seen James? He must be one of the slowest players in the squad. Drinkwater has played very little so I'm not sure how you conclude he isn't good enough.

As was shown earlier in the thread he has had 15 starts which I have seen every single one of them including every single game James has played this season so yes I feel I can comment on what I believe shows that drinkwater is not good enough to play in this league for us

His problem this season is that he's got competition for his role, namely Cambiasso, who is just a better all round player.

Yes DD won our player of the season last season in the championship, but it's not quite on par with winning the champions league or getting 52 caps for his country is it.

Kasper :rolleyes:

RDL Wes Huth Schlupp

James

Cambiasso Drinky

Messiah Vardy

Kram

If we're going to play him I'd pick that but id rather not have him in the side atm

we're definitely staying up then with the son of God on the right wing.

Archived